O2 Sensor Removal Help...%#@! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skillet

Skillet
Threads
Well I PB blasted everything and let it sit for 2 days.
All bolts are off except the inside bolt on the outside sensor.

Cannot really see it too well but it is very crusty and the outside nut was rotten too but it came off with a 10mm after a little effort.

The inside one is really bad. I have tired every kind of wrench and size wrench known to man. :mad:
I have even tried needle nosed vice grips to no avail.

1.5 hours later, I am at my wits end.

That is a very tight spot and I am wondering if any of you have any ideas.

That little heat shield really makes things difficult. Why is it only on the outside sensor.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

beno said:
Nut splitter and some heat.

If not, start grinding.

Good luck.
-o-

Problem is, I cannot get anything up there. VERY tight spot.

No way to get a nut splitter or grinder up there...

Which one are you talking about? The first one coming down the y pipe or the 2nd one after the cats?

You can loosen the exhaust mounting brackets and split the 2 cats and then pull the cat back part out and work at your leisure.

You could of course just pull the entire exhaust system out and have a go at it...though this should be the last course of action....

Dremel? Die grinder with a cutting end? Good luck.

-o-

beno said:
Which one are you talking about? The first one coming down the y pipe or the 2nd one after the cats?

You can loosen the exhaust mounting brackets and split the 2 cats and then pull the cat back part out and work at your leisure.

You could of course just pull the entire exhaust system out and have a go at it...though this should be the last course of action....

Dremel? Die grinder with a cutting end? Good luck.

-o-

I have a '93 with 2 pipes coming into cat(s).
Both of the O2 sensors are right in front of the cat, one on each pipe right next to eachother. The outer one towards the PS, has some kind of little 3" tall heat shield in front of it that bolts right on with the O2 sensor and which is what makes it so difficult to get at the inside nut.

At this point it will be best to drop the exhaust pipe so that you can ge at it. In fact the original factory procedure for 93-94 is to remove the pipes to replace the sensors.

try using a plumbing pipe wrench, more torque and will grab onto anything round. Just gotta get it into the tight space.

Just so everyone knows who my savior was.
If anyone else ever runs into this issue, run to Sears and buy the damaged bolt out set...
bolt out.jpg

Last edited:
Nice.

Glad this worked out.

And apologies--I forgot to look at your sig line and notice that you have the side-to-side cat. placement. My bad for telling you incorrect information.

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom