O2 sensor removal and re-installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A friend with a '94 showed up at my place, he was :crybaby: about an exhaust noise and a CEL. Without looking I said in so many words that on my '94 the O2 sensor gasket was the source and solution of a noise I had....So within about 2 minutes I was able to ID the source of the noise. After I received my ~$20 worth of nuts and gaskets (thanks CDan! :D ) and my friend was able to bring his truck back we solved the problem.

What was interesting to me was that the nuts on the studs had basically dissolved and I was ablt to pry the sensor off the studs with gentler pressure froma screw driver. The remaining bits of the nuts where about as sturdy as dust. After chasing the studs with a die it was pretty a pretty straightforward reassembly.

I really envy those in climates where there isn't major salt used for roadway maintenance.

He sarted the rig and the noise wss gone but the CEL remained. I asked him if he knew how to reset his radio and wanted to try to clear the code by disconnecting the battery...he did and after a quick removal and repalcement of the grnd. wire. Bingo no code.

I can assure you that if he took his truck to the local toyota dealer they would have reccomended at a minimum repalcement of the sensors with a whole bunch of labor. In all likelyhood they wouldhave reccomended replacing all the cats etc...Cheers to CDan, FSM's and DIYers everywhere :beer:

Last edited:
You could also read the code with a paper clip and the FSM, might try that if the code comes back. :)

Indeed. The code (if it stays off) probably would have gone out on its own after a few cycles but it was nice to see it go away (for now anyway)

firetruck41 said:
You could also read the code with a paper clip and the FSM, might try that if the code comes back. :)

Hey Ben--

Can you explain the 'paper clip' method of reading codes?

Thanks.
-onur
Akron, OH

I'm getting ready for replacement of my O2 sensors, and the one in front of the cat looks like rusted weld mess where the nuts and studs are located. Any advice on removing this without screwing everything up? I plan on lots of pb blaster, but that only goes so far. I expect to sheer the studs off. How would I fix that without replacing the whole dang pipe?

beno said:
Thanks Jason...too bad I've got OBD II...oh well...still on the search for that elusive decent code reader that is relatively inexpensive... :rolleyes:

Best.
-onur

Well if it makes you feel any better...the paper clip works well and it's cheap. :grinpimp:

smokethedog said:
I'm getting ready for replacement of my O2 sensors, and the one in front of the cat looks like rusted weld mess where the nuts and studs are located. Any advice on removing this without screwing everything up? I plan on lots of pb blaster, but that only goes so far. I expect to sheer the studs off. How would I fix that without replacing the whole dang pipe?

On the '94 the 2 O2 sensors are before the carts, 1 on each pipe. On my truck ('94) and my friends truck ('94) I was able to salvage the studs where the O2 sensors mount. On my truack I removed the down pipes and replaced a bnch of gaskets and bolts (actually the studs at the front of the down pipe are removeable/replaceable)

On my friends truck the bolts just basically fell off and a die was used to clean the studs which were in fine shape. I suspect that the studs on yours may be salvagable - you mention PB blaster. This is a great appication for frequent/plentiful application of that stuff. I wanted to do everything I could to prevent having to repalce the pipes and was successful...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom