NZ 80 Series - New Buildup & Hilux Toy Too (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, James from shake city (Christchurch) here

Bought myself another 80 in January - put all on hold after losing my workshop in the big shake - have been getting into over the last few weeks

Is a factory triple locker, all original when I got it down to factory winch incl hand controller never used in its original plastic bag etc
Usual turbo 4.2 auto import spec

So far Ive put in Raw nitro shocks - Dobinsons 3" lift springs, Allied 16X8 steels with 305/70/16 Maxxis Bighorns - sadly, I was going to go for 315/75/16 Hankook RT03's but due to low demand in New Zealand the supplier said Hell No to importing them

Have put 6X9's in the rear doors, new JVC headunit, added a Ironman commercial bullbar (factory winch needs some mods to fit at this stage)

Next is tints & drawers for the back, trying to find a roof tray (might go Ironman again - their dealer is 4 blocks from home - dangerous!?)

Sorry its night & havent taken any pics yet:
cruiserhalfdone.jpg

My other toy / workshop hack NZ assembled 2.8 diesel Hilux 3" springs, 35" RT03's & Raw Nitro's - goes places I never thought it would but not as comfy as the 'Cruiser 8)
Its done 507,000kms & looks as good as the day it left the factory

SDC10443.jpg

The day of the quake - I DID H8 MUD!
Was up to the axles by the time I got organised & left

workshop4-1-1.jpg

hay there zerphy.

im in chch too. were abouts is ur workshop. that look to be a LOT of liquefaction.

let me know when ur back up and running as i need the winch looked at if ur keen.

jono

Welcome! :flipoff2:

I've got really good friends in Christchurch whose house was totally demolished in the last quake. Photos of the area are amazing. Hope you guys are doing better with trying to get back to normal now. On the upside for me, I now try to drop "munted" into casual conversation over here in the States. :)

Hi, cheers guys
Yes shop was moved around the block to a new location (much safer building too) within 3 weeks and many man hours we were up & running again better than ever

Thanks for the warm welcome, had a good time down the Waipara river today & took my 3 year old lad on the Steam train at Weka Pass - what a blast

dude u should have pm ed me i would have brought my little one too. see loves the trains up there.

jono

Hey sorry mate, was a last minute mission to get the little monster off to sleep ha ha - always lights out after 8km for some reason lol
Next time tho!?
Didnt do much down the river but have mates that have been all over it, was heaps of dirt bikes down there so might invest in a roof mounted revolving lamp??! Wouldnt want to squash one

CruiserWaipara.jpg

Amazing how nice the weather was there when chch was covered in grey gross clouds - I was in a tshirt on the camp chair eating my lunch ha ha

*Sorry cant edit the above - hope my photo's arent too big

Might just buy a new winch - old Toyota unit is good but hard to fit to that bar - have to get some spotlamps & put my # plate on next whoops lol

Have put 6X9's in the rear doors,

Any pics of the 6x9's in the rear doors. I am in the beginning stages of contemplating this and avoiding a sub in the cargo area for simplicity and cargo space.

Thanks!

Smitty

Yay snow!

cruisersnowjuly2011.jpg
:clap:

6X9 for smitty - need deep spacers & watch magnet sizing for windows obviously - only running a tiny 10" sub / 300w amp in a tuned box inside the drawers & it shakes the whole truck very well

6x9.jpg

drawers.jpg

sub.jpg

Coming along nicely

Took the 80 down to Alexandra in Central Otago over summer - did new big end bearings & CV's before we left - lucky I did: LH CV was rusted & about to break, #5&6 bearings had just started chipping - yikes!

cruiserfrontsummer12.jpg

cruisersummer12.jpg

zephyrheaven said:
Took the 80 down to Alexandra in Central Otago over summer - did new big end bearings & CV's before we left - lucky I did: LH CV was rusted & about to break, #5&6 bearings had just started chipping - yikes!

What rear spare tire carrier do you have?

Hi Factory Toyota fitted one - scary I know but its held a 34" tyre & rim / 3 seriously heavy downhill bikes + the bike rack thats fitted to the carrier for about 11 months now all over the place & over some pretty rough ground - havent noticed any sag so far (wife complains about opening it up when parked as you have to push like hell upward to the concave of the road in some places! Ha)

Cheers

zephyrheaven said:
Hi Factory Toyota fitted one - scary I know but its held a 34" tyre & rim / 3 seriously heavy downhill bikes + the bike rack thats fitted to the carrier for about 11 months now all over the place & over some pretty rough ground - havent noticed any sag so far (wife complains about opening it up when parked as you have to push like hell upward to the concave of the road in some places! Ha)

Cheers

Wish those came on the US spec cruisers. Does anyone know how hard it is to get one in the states?

I had a look at a mates GX (mines a VX) inside that rear panel is a load of metalwork to hold the brackets to the body on mine - his has none of that

Think most people make a wee pole & a swing on their rear bumper (on a sensible location!) like those OZ Kaymar ones?

Wheel under is all good apart from when you really need the wheel on a track 8(

Hey all

I'm relatively new to the forum and I'm glad there are a few people here from NZ, especially from 'QuakeChurch'.
I myself live here and it would be good to meet up for an outing sometime.

I have an imported 94 VX limited spec with factory lockers.

Hope you see you all out and about

Andy.

sweet - hard to organise outings myself but happy to join others 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom