NYTOP GX460 Class IV tow hitch...anyone have any experience with this company? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
They're making a Class IV hitch since it appears that Lexus is incapable of doing so and I'm thinking of getting one.

They're looking at February for delivery and I had them make a modification for a second cross-pin hole so that it'd work with the PT228-89445 ball mount since that's OEM for the GX.

It's not cheap, however, the new OEM hitch has an MSRP of $747 according to a dealership in CA and it's not actually available that I've been able to find. I've been waiting 15 months for the OEM hitch and have grown weary with the lack of information and constant pushing back of the availability date. I was told maybe early 2023 today when I called.

NYTOP seems to make a few other cool looking items for the GX, however, they appear to be a relatively new company from what I can find.

2010-Current Lexus GX460 Rear Tow Hitch Receiver — NYTOP | Not Your Typical Off-road Parts - https://www.nytop.store/lexus-gx460-accessories-store/p/2010-current-lexus-gx460-rear-tow-hitch-receiver

Given the price of the aftermarket hitch, I would suggest looking for a OEM hitch from a salvage yard GX460. Even if you need to get it sandblasted and powdercoated to look new it would probably be cheaper than their $700 hitch, and you'd know it's OEM Lexus quality.

Unfortunate those are so expensive for the 460....for my 470 a new OEM Toyota 6,500# 4th gen 4Runner hitch (identical to the Lexus version) was around $235 from my local dealer.

Maybe not a comforting fact for you, but they are local to me. I’m always more comfortable with a local vendor.

Totally moot point here, but I don’t think the OEM hitch msrp is that high.

Maybe not a comforting fact for you, but they are local to me. I’m always more comfortable with a local vendor.

Totally moot point here, but I don’t think the OEM hitch msrp is that high.

The top link isn’t for a GX460 as was discovered on the CL forum when someone tried it.

The PT228-60140 number is for the now discontinued hitch. The new part PT228-60141 had a substantial increase in price. It’s also unavailable currently.

I’ve looked for used but can’t find one.

I got a call back from Toyota today and as per usual they weren’t helpful…at all.

I’m still thinking about the NYTOP hitch, however, I’m also contemplating just forgetting about the Class IV hitch altogether.

As you indicated, is there a reason you would prefer a Class IV hitch? A Curt Class III is currently $135 on Amazon. Unless you plan to exceed the 5K# rating, or use a WDH (not sure if the Curt is rated for weight distrubtion or not), it should be adequate. Or at least a stopgap until Lexus makes more OEM hitches.

For the records, I use a Class IV hitch on my 470 primarily for the WDH capabilities, and it works very well. But I tow often and for long distances. For most other needs, a Class III would suffice.

As you indicated, is there a reason you would prefer a Class IV hitch? A Curt Class III is currently $135 on Amazon. Unless you plan to exceed the 5K# rating, or use a WDH (not sure if the Curt is rated for weight distrubtion or not), it should be adequate. Or at least a stopgap until Lexus makes more OEM hitches.

For the records, I use a Class IV hitch on my 470 primarily for the WDH capabilities, and it works very well. But I tow often and for long distances. For most other needs, a Class III would suffice.

I don't *need* a Class IV hitch, however, I want it simply because it attaches to the frame rails in addition to the rear crossmember. I already have the Curt installed and it's been fine, however, not being able to get the OEM hitch for 15+ months is BS.

If you aren't using a WDH or towing over 5K, I'd just keep the Curt and then upgrade to an OEM Lexus hitch when they do resume making them (presumably they will at some point). $700 is really a lot for a few pieces of steel, IMO, although perhaps not unreasonable for a small shop fabricating it all by hand (as opposed to Toyota mass production).

It was reported on Club Lexus that they’re Made in China so I’m staying far, far away from them.

Agreed - I buy quite a bit of Hencho in China stuff, but a trailer hitch will never be on that list :)

It was reported on Club Lexus that they’re Made in China so I’m staying far, far away from them.
That whole exchange about the NYTOP hitch between NYTOP and another person on Club Lexus was "enlightening." The NYTOP guy's responses to questions about testing and certification didn't come across well. I agree, it's a do-not-buy for me too.

That whole exchange about the NYTOP hitch between NYTOP and another person on Club Lexus was "enlightening." The NYTOP guy's responses to questions about testing and certification didn't come across well. I agree, it's a do-not-buy for me too.
I actually missed the exchange but saw the recap.

I wish I could have read it.

I actually missed the exchange but saw the recap.

I wish I could have read it.
Yes, it is too bad that the exchange wasn't retained on the site. The individual questioning NYTOP made a (very strong) recommendation to thoroughly read NYTOP's terms and conditions before making a purchase.

I do wish Lexus would offer their Class IV hitch again. Seems more and more likely they will not.

Yes, it is too bad that the exchange wasn't retained on the site. The individual questioning NYTOP made a (very strong) recommendation to thoroughly read NYTOP's terms and conditions before making a purchase.

I do wish Lexus would offer their Class IV hitch again. Seems more and more likely they will not.
I’m that guy….... TLDR:

1) I was interested in their product because I'd like a hitch to tow a ~6000 lb trailer. I saw that they are a new vendor and they did not list where they made their hitches which made me concerned. In the discussion with the vendor it came out their products are made in China -- not a problem in and of itself, but necessitates that the vendor put in place rigorous QC processes and inspections to ensure quality. Had a friend that did QA for apple... I think he had whatever the best status was on United Airlines.

2) The website originally said something to the effect of "designed and engineered to be class IV". This caught my attention because it didn't say "tested" like most vendors will state (the SAE hitch standard calls out a test and marking standards). When I pointed this out, the vendor first said "of course it was tested" and added that standard to their website. I asked what the standard was then when I asked for details it was "not only was it tested, it exceeds class V and in fact passed SAE J2807 tow tests". When I pointed out that SAE J208 is a vehicle specific test, the vendor then cited a nearly 50 year-old NHSTA letter about hitch installations damaging fuel systems to state that they do not actually need to test their product. I was not satisfied with these answers since they seemed both convenient and evasive.

3) The vendor accused me of working for Curt...lol.

4) Strength /= looking burly. Since hitches are a safety critical item (like recovery gear), I would generally recommend prioritizing the pedigree of the product over the "designed to XXXXX" load rating. As someone who has done a pretty solid amount of FEA during their career I can attest to the fact that it can be a challenge to get a simulation to be predictive of test results. Furthermore, there are a lot of places that things can go wrong between the design and the production part, so those QA steps can be worth their weight in gold.

5) Terms and conditions -- holy moly. The 6 pages of them on their website pretty much said that the product could damage your truck, that you were fully liable for product failures and that they have no responsibility should something happen. Being a less established company, there is probably also a debate as to whether or not they would even be worth pursuing through the courts if something happened. The vendor tried to say other vendors use similar terms and conditions, however, other vendors like Curt have a more specific waiver that seems to relate specifically to over loading a hitch. I am not a lawyer, but this is my best guess.

Thanks for posting all of this over here. I was interested in their front bumpers, since they don't require any cutting/removing of factory equipment, but after reading this, and how slimy this reads on their part, I will be steering clear.

Just a follow up regarding what some other vendors put on their websites.... The more legitimate ones seem pretty up front about what they offer which lets folks make an informed choice. I think most of us have a different threshold of risk when we are considering hitch mounted accessories vs trailers at the upper limit of the vehicles capability.

This is copied directly from victory 4x4 on 12/26/22:

• ¹ Built-in hitch tied-in to the factory hitch receiver mounting locations. Designed to support the loads of the factory center-mount hitch tow capacity, but carries no SAE certification, nor is it designed to meet any DOT or FMCSA regulation.
  • We produce these products in a low volume compared to the OEMs or aftermarket receiver hitch companies. As such, it's not feasible for us to get this product tested against SAE J684 specifications or design it meet specific DOT or FMCSA regulations. So while we try to over-engineer our products with the loads of the factory vehicle capacity in mind; towing a trailer on public highways is at your own risk and we make no claims on the legality or viability of doing so. We cannot offer any recommendations on capacity beyond this. If the ratings of the factory receiver hitch are important to you, we would recommend choosing a bumper that keeps that in place.

Just got word the OEM class IV hitch is now available from Lexus. My sales guy just sent me this memo.

IMG_6054.PNG

Just got word the OEM class IV hitch is now available from Lexus. My sales guy just sent me this memo.

I just called my local dealer and they told me the installed price is $1,268.00 - should be in their system tomorrow and available for delivery next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom