SOLD NYC - 1997 Lexus LX450, 154k miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. LX450
Mileage
Color
Beige
Outside Link
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Lexus-LX/324441701869
Solid, well maintained, low mileage FJ80. Needs a little love, but overall very solid and reliable. I have it listed on ebay and autotrader for a bit over 11k, but honestly looking to get 10k and would love if it goes to an enthusiast here.

Maintenance performed in the last two years include:

Replaced exhaust manifolds and downpipe.
Replaced all drive belts, king pin bearing, rear coolant lines and PHH.
Valve Cover Gasket and Distributor O Ring seal and gasket were replaced as well as a new AC Compressor.
The front inner axle seals and birf joints were serviced 2 years ago. They still click a bit on hard acceleration with wheel turned all the way.
All new Calipers, Brake Pads and Rotors all around.
Also included is a new factory wiper motor. I didn't install but noticed the existing is not a factory unit so I wanted to replace it.

Everything pretty much works, and anything that needs attention would get replaced if you're looking to modify, and/or are easy fixes. No known accidents however the lower cladding was repainted at some point by the previous owner as well as the roof. All panels have the factory vin tag. I think the windshield and 1 side window was replaced at some time as well.

Known issues: This is a 24 year old truck from the northeast. It is not a pristine FJ80 and does have some rust.
Tires have plenty of thread, but I suggest replacing.
The battery works fine, but noticed it needs replacement (corrision at the battery case terminal)
Front seats were recovered by previous owner and are in decent shape but not perfect.
Noticed some weeping at the front of the engine, possibly crankcase seal. Switched to Valvoline Hi Life oil and it seems to have stopped.
Just noticed driver side carpet wet, may be wiper fluid hose or sunroof drains clogged.

Rust present on body on the rear driver side wheel well and on running boards and surface rust on some underbody parts such as the rear axle. There is a rust spot on the front passenger inner fender well. Also note the roof paint is fading, was repainted in the past by previous owner but needs attention again.

20201108_141118_resized.jpg

20201108_141057_resized.jpg

20201108_141015_resized.jpg

20201108_141209_resized.jpg

20201108_141110_resized.jpg

Honestly - I think the two options are either (a) lower price until it sells, or (b) wait until (hopefully) the right buyer comes along at your current asking price.

There are some trucks, where a small tweak can make a difference in getting it sold -- e.g. if you do your own work, doing the knuckles, maybe OME lift, tires, etc...

The issue here is mostly going to be around rust. This one has far more miles, but no rust, and is asking <$10k already: For Sale - South Florida 1997 Lexus LX450, 240k miles (possible trade for 03+) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/south-florida-1997-lexus-lx450-240k-miles-possible-trade-for-03.1235521/ The frame looks clean as hell.

And once you've got rust, you can't go back to clean metal again. Beyond that, any off-roading modifications, I don't think you'll get more than $0.50 cents on the dollar out. --- so a low return.

You listed it before on eBay, and the auction got to $6k. So you know 100% it would sell at that price. So maybe try dropping it to $8k and see if you get nibbles. Post on facebook too, craigslist, etc... Hope that's helpful. Thanks. - Spencer

Honestly - I think the two options are either (a) lower price until it sells, or (b) wait until (hopefully) the right buyer comes along at your current asking price.

There are some trucks, where a small tweak can make a difference in getting it sold -- e.g. if you do your own work, doing the knuckles, maybe OME lift, tires, etc...

The issue here is mostly going to be around rust. This one has far more miles, but no rust, and is asking <$10k already: For Sale - South Florida 1997 Lexus LX450, 240k miles (possible trade for 03+) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/south-florida-1997-lexus-lx450-240k-miles-possible-trade-for-03.1235521/ The frame looks clean as hell.

And once you've got rust, you can't go back to clean metal again. Beyond that, any off-roading modifications, I don't think you'll get more than $0.50 cents on the dollar out. --- so a low return.

You listed it before on eBay, and the auction got to $6k. So you know 100% it would sell at that price. So maybe try dropping it to $8k and see if you get nibbles. Post on facebook too, craigslist, etc... Hope that's helpful. Thanks. - Spencer
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I guess I can always go lower, just in my eyes its so much better than the 6k examples out there. I just wanted to see what else may be offputting

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I guess I can always go lower, just in my eyes its so much better than the 6k examples out there. I just wanted to see what else may be offputting

Right. You could hold out for more if you'd like. It's just a question of how long it's worth waiting. You could aways keep her if the price isn't right.

The issue is it's (1) not locked, and (2) has pretty bad rust. Often these cars can easily take $5k (or more) to get back in peak condition. So as a buyer, I would always rather spend $5k on a vehicle that I paid $20k for. Vs. get one on-the-cheap with rust, which is never reversible.

Just my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom