1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nwe to forum, here's the 1st question

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by synergist, Mar 7, 2004.

1. synergist

synergist

Howdy guy's,

First tme on this forum and it looks like you guy's have an idea whats going on!

So heres my questions:

1: I have a 76' fj55 2f and my old man and i have just pulled it apart for a rebuild, its .040 thou over size, do you know by how much this might increase power?

2: The pistons have 4 rings, are these 3f pistons? Because 2f pistons only have three rings?

Cheers and thanks in advance!!

2. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    no real clue but what I can see both 2F and 3f pistons have the same #of rings, 3 I believe. Maybe the pistons are aftermarket? but to be honest I dont have a clue about internals of motors

[quote author=synergist link=board=1;threadid=12713;start=msg116838#msg116838 date=1078700489]
    Howdy guy's,

First tme on this forum and it looks like you guy's have an idea whats going on!

So heres my questions:

1: I have a 76' fj55 2f and my old man and i have just pulled it apart for a rebuild, its .040 thou over size, do you know by how much this might increase power?

2: The pistons have 4 rings, are these 3f pistons? Because 2f pistons only have three rings?

Cheers and thanks in advance!!

[/quote]

3. Rice

Rice SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    The gain in horsepower from a 0.040 overbore is minimal. Figure a little less than 1 horsepower for each cubic inch you gain from boring. Boring 0.040 gives you almost 4 cubic inches more displacement so figure about 3 added horsepower. More than that was used up by having 4 rings on the pistons instead of 3. The reason for boring an engine has less to do with power and more to do with having a clean fresh ROUND bore to seat the new rings in.

Rice