NV4500 conversion question

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by 1973Guppie, Mar 23, 2003.

1. 1973Guppie

1973Guppie Supporting Vendor SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I am considering an NV4500 conversion in order to shorten my drivetrain as well as for other reasons. I am now running a AA ranger OD/SM465/early TC 73 fj40 / combination. My low gear now is 62.362. If I ran the nv my low gear would end up being 53.33. My question is will this difference (53.33 vs. 62.36) in low gearing be a huge difference off road? I would like to keep a relative low gear ratio but by no means am I looking for the lowest possible gear ratio out there. I just want to be able to tackle most obstacles. Just wondering how much of a difference I am looking at. Street driveability is important to me and the NV sounds like it is quiter and has the same OD final ratio as what I am running now. Anyone with experiences in either of these setups I would appreciate your comments and experiences. Thanks much.

Noah

2. sfrolich

sfrolich

I have a 71' NV4500 with a 5.6 first gear and 4.11 axle ratios. I had the conversion done at a shop and they were trying to talk me into the 6.3 first (older NV4500 have this and are now hard to find). I wanted the 5.6 first because I don't do serious rock crawling. First gear is still really low; way lower than the stock 3speed.

This has got to be the best manual transmission swap there is. You probably have a v8 so if you can't get up a hill with the 5.6 first, I don't think anything will :D

Scott

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.