'nuther nice bass

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by yooper, Jul 7, 2005.

1. yooper

yooper SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I went out to my camp this evening (55 minute Pigdrive) to do some fireworks for my daughter's sleepover birthday party and decided to go out for a few casts. Caught three fish in about twenty minutes while a visiting boat fishing nearby sat and watched me, catching nothing themselves, then watched me motor back to my dock. I love doing that! Got this nice 17", 4 pound smallmouth. MAN, these guys are strong, almost like a saltwater fish. I thought I had hooked a 30" pike.

[​IMG]

2. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice, Sean! Such a deal.

3. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    put that snake back in the water......what are you, part iowan?? you going to pickel that damn thing?

:rolleyes:

nice bass.

:beer:

4. freightdog

freightdog

Hey Yoop -

Nice - we are heading for the cabin and trout - hope to post some trout and nothin makes the wife happier than fishing -

She said I wanna shoot and fish all weekend!

Wish I could catch some bass like those!

5. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    Light tackle and big fish = crazy fun. I'm addicted to salt water fishing, but that baby looks like a handful.

6. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

I'm in Northern Ontario ..

A guard at the hospital came over to talk earlier tonite, and relayed his fishing stories from the weekend. Said he caught a few nice bass .. 4 and 7 lbs. Then he was casting in another area when his line seemed snagged. He started to back the boat up slowly and then tried to get his line free. SUddenly it jerked 2 or 3 strong tugs. Whatever it was finally ripped his rod from his grasp and it flipped a few times in the air before slamming into his boat so hard it snapped the last 20" off the rod!! :eek: Never did see what it was ..

Then he was on another lake about 1 hr from here, and was just relaxing having a beer when he saw a HUGE pike come swimming up behind a loon with his mouth wide open...slammed his teeth down on the loons ass, and it rocketed across the lake at mach 1 .. scared to death, and minus a few tail feathers!

I know they stay deep, but my mind is always on the Black Sturgeon we have here, when I'm swimming a lake; as the theme from Jaws plays over and over in my head ..

TY

7. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    Sweet,

Do you fish with monofilament or braided line?

8. 3pits

3pits

a 4# small mouth is a monster, and a beautiful fish,, fishing or wheeling not sure which I like more,,

9. yooper

yooper SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Today I was using 6 lb test Maxima, monofilament, and a blue and silver rattling Rapala. I have a rod or two with braided "superline" as well, which I use to cast big plugs and spoons to the big pike, and I fly fish quite a bit too.

RE: the hammer handle: My lake has too many small pike, which is not healthy for the pike population or the forage population or the other game fish species. The theory in this case is that the state added something like 20,000 hatchery pike by mistake once about 10 years ago. In most of Michigan, there is a minimum size requirement to keep pike, I think it's 24". On my lake there is no minimum size, there is an increased bag limit, and we harvest every pike we catch (if I catch a big trophy size one I'll release it). Over the years we should be able to improve the health of the lake. I fileted that one and I'll grill it up this weekend sometime. I do want to try pickling some.

Ty, yeah, there are some scary big pike up in the north waters. My parents tell me stories of fishing in Canada in the 1950's when they would throw back anything under 48" because that was too small to bother with. There are some monster pike in Lake Superior around here, too. We hear those stories of "the monster that broke my line" several times a year from the local dock fishermen - they'll be fishing for salmon and lake trout during the time of the year that they are in close, and all of a sudden a pack of huge pike will cruise through, snatching up the salmon. Once in a while somebody actually lands one. I'm pretty sure sturgeon are really safe - not agressive hunters like the pike.

10. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    you 'bass'tard!!!

wanna come down and board up winderrrs??...

11. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Yet another nice bass.

12. yooper

yooper SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    My brother was planning on going bass fishing this weekend, I think in South Florida, but could be up near you. I guess I should call him.

13. Junk

Junk

Yooper, stop stealing from your daughter. We know she is the one catching them then hands them to you for your poser shot :flipoff2:

Nice fishie.

14. freightdog

freightdog

My favorite bass -

15. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

You have that taped to your bar fridge ? ;p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.