1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nuther Newbee

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Paul H, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Paul H

Paul H

I've been a fairly long time Toyota user, '93 3.0 4-runner, '94 3.0 xtra-cab 4X4 truck and a 2000 rav-4 (wifes car, don't laugh ;) )

Anyhow, I've been looking at my options for my truck to make it more suitable to towing my boat, but I keep coming up with it just doesn't have enough engine. That and the kids are getting bigger, which means the cab is getting smaller :mad:

After doing some research (slee's newbie guide), and talking with my wife, we figured selling the rav, and replacing it with an 80 series is the way to go :cheers: I'm thinking that we would even come out $ ahead if we move the Rav before the resale tanks (asside from increased fuel consumption :rolleyes: )

Since I'm not in a rush to get an 80 series this instant, I'd like to know what the going rates would be for 91-92, 93 on sans lockers, 93 on w/ lockers, all in the 120-150k mileage range. I did see a 91 w/ 130k for $9k in the local classifieds, but that sounds way high. I figure to jump on a good deal, I need to first know what a good deal is on an 80 :D

2. corbs

corbs

I doubt you'll want a 91-92 if you're planning to tow a boat. . . I think you'll be happier w/93+. The way I figure it a 91-92 should be less than $5000. . . anybody else?

3. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    don't waste the $$ on the 91-92 for towing....93+ definitely

mine: 1996, locked, 115k, $10,900 in TX....I've had it 3 months, love it.

4. Fly Rod

Fly Rod

Four weeks ago I paid $11,500 for a locked and loaded, extremely clean '95 with 91k on it.

Fly Rod

5. Biff

Biff

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  6. Biff

Biff

Thats pretty good price, I paid $7900 for my unlocked 94 a year ago. Recently addeded lockers to the tune of $2900.

7. Paul H

Paul H

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like if I bide my time, I should be able to find a 93-95 in the $7-8k range sans lockers, and a locked rig will be running $10-12.

My boat isn't super heavy, but I'd agree the 4.5 8 would be my prefernce over the 4.0 6.

Thanks!

8. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

yes, but what uses will you have for the truck?

if it's just towing a boat, get a Diesel pickup truck!

9. Paul H

Paul H

I agree if I was solely looking for a dedicated vehicle for pulling the boat, a 3/4 ton w/ turbo diesel would be the rig, but I can't afford a dedicated vehicle for that task. I also don't think one would fit in the garage, and having a vehicle at room temp vs ambient in the winter up here is a bummer.

The vehicle has to be multipurpose, dd, long road trips, etc. While an full size extra cab or crew cab truck will be more comfortable than the extra cab toy truck, it won't be as nice as the cruiser, nor will it fit 8. So I'll take a much better most every day of the year cruiser to a better for hauling the boat truck. I'll also have the toy truck to throw crap in the back of as well as my daily driver. The resale on my truck is in toylet ;) so I'll keep it. I'm familiar with servicing it, and figure it's good for at least another 125k.

10. OZCAL

OZCAL

Don't wait to long - they're not making any more and in the meantime some first owner is abusing it!

Just kidding. Sort of. :grinpimp:

welcome :flipoff2:

David

11. gbell210

gbell210

I don't know if this was a mistake or misunderstanding.. but both the 4.5Liter and 4.0 Liter are Inline 6's The only V8's are in the 100 series 1998+

12. Paul H

Paul H

Thanks for the correction, I'd thought I'd read the 4.5 was a V-8.

13. Heffenoche

Heffenoche

Prices are also very regional. I know around here that you'd be hard pressed to get some of the prices quoted. Hopefully you'll be in one of the cheaper markets.

14. alaskacruiser

alaskacruiser

The 4.7 is the V8. The 4.5 is an I6.