Nut and Bolt Kits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would definitely be in for two sets as well (pricing constraints of course).

Thanks for checking

To save anyone who does not want to reinvent the wheel....

Davework is the vendor here selling the bolt kits. Excellent product and good service. Drop him a PM.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/new-bolts-yellow-zinc-jis.278076/

The thing to realize is that all of these kits are a nice supplement but the FJ40 has quite a few proprietary bolts that you will not find anywhere else than in a Forty. I would highly recommend that what ever set you buy....spend the money and have all of your rusty bolts redone at a quality metal plating company. It will save a tone of headache during your rebuild, it costs very little to do.

I organized my hardware into special trays from Northern....again a great time saver.

IMG_3800.jpg

IMG_3799.jpg

IMG_3801.jpg

Again, a special thanks to Davework for offering this awesome product (and service)!

Doc

My primary concern was that the flange heads would somehow cause issues when installing into tight places, the fact that they are "not OEM" is less of a concern to me...very little about my truck is OEM. Dave's kit looks awesome and I very well may be buying one from him. The only reason I have been hesitant is the price. If the Aussie kits could be had for cheaper, even after import into the US - I'd probably go that route. It sounds like the main issue for Dave is the plating costs. I'm honestly surprised the Australian kit can be offered at $90...

The Aussie kit is 400 pieces ($90.00), Dave's is a total of 854 Pieces ($199.00).

From what I see, the Aussie kit has some things that Dave's does not but overall it comes up lacking in variations. I can tell you from personal experience (because I took every bolt out of my FJ40)....I found a use for 75% of Daves hardware and every variation that he offered (esp the 6mm). It was simply the best bang for the buck IMO.

Doc

The Aussie kit is 400 pieces ($90.00), Dave's is a total of 854 Pieces ($199.00).

From what I see, the Aussie kit has some things that Dave's does not but overall it comes up lacking in variations. I can tell you from personal experience (because I took every bolt out of my FJ40)....I found a use for 75% of Daves hardware and every variation that he offered (esp the 6mm). It was simply the best bang for the buck IMO.

Doc

Did not realize the big difference in the number of pieces you get. This makes a lot more sense now, and makes Dave's kit's price make much more sense. @hindsight - Doc, Dave should be paying you commission! (I kid) but in all seriousness, given this discussion, I don't see any real reason to have a bolt kit shipped from Australia unless you're doing a true "nut and bolt" authentic stock restoration. I think flange heads will suit my purposes fine - as long as they're in stock after I get done my axles, I'll probably pick up a kit stateside and call it done.

I have heard back from my supplier on their kits. What I actually priced for me was a 900 (+/-) piece kit, one in yellow zinc plated and one kit in stainless steel. I am having them send me one of the stainless steel kits for review. Once I have reviewed the set, I'll post some photos.

Is there any interest in a 900 piece set (no sem-bolts) for about the same cost as the Aussie kit, plus FedEx/UPS charges?

Can be done, but at a significant cost increase over the stainless steel or yellow zinc sets.

sorry, whats a sem-bolt you keep referring to? 900 SS pieces of hardware JIS for $90USD is an insanely good price. they would be JIS heads right?

I believe sem-bolts are the captive lock/washer bolts, which is what I'm looking for.

gotcha. i would only be interested in sem bolts as well. yellow zinc vs cad vs SS doesnt make a diff to me. i would want to know which flavor of SS it is though.

sorry, whats a sem-bolt you keep referring to? 900 SS pieces of hardware JIS for $90USD is an insanely good price. they would be JIS heads right?
A sem-bolt are the ones that have the washer and lock-washer already attached to the bolt above the thread.

The first vendor I was working with has the DIN hardware. I have sent the same specs to another vendor for JIS hardware, but they only have yellow zinc plated units.

i would only want JIS heads. have you looked around alibaba at all? theres quite a few manufactures in china that will make whatever you want for not a horrible price.....if you want to get in the nut and bolt biz :)

Whats the advantage to a sem-bolt, aside from you don't have to worry about your washers rolling away?

1. the underside of flange is most likely serrated and will chip/scratch the finish underneath
2. looks like OEM
3. prefer lok washer to serrated nut/flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom