1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Number 5 is alive

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Jim_Phillips, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Jim_Phillips

Jim_Phillips

The phenomenal Atlantic hurricane season continues in breathtaking style as Tropical Depression 5 is upgraded to Tropical Storm Emily.

Once again, a new record has been broken with July 12 being the earliest date on record for having five named storms. To give you an idea, last year, the first named storm appeared on August 1.

So how long will we all have to wait beofre the US recognises climate change and signs up to Koyoto?

2. tea LC

tea LC

We know what we're doing :D

[​IMG]

Just practicing for when we destroy the middle east.

I kid. I kid.

I hope our douche bag politicians start to think selflessly. :rolleyes:

3. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    Why do you name the US as the sole contributor of the demise of the climate. I bet jolly ole England has its fair share of pollution...damn, with the amount of rotting teeth over there i would think that alone would cause seas to rise... :flipoff2: :D

4. mloudy

mloudy

If you could get those pickeys to stop burning out cars on the sides of the road it would help.

5. Jim_Phillips

Jim_Phillips

We are not the only ones to contribute towards global warming but the US is the only major economy not to sign the Koyoto treaty. This is not an anti US thread - just making the point that if you are going to be hard hit by changes in the weather you may take the issue of climate change more seriously.

6. PHBeerman

PHBeerman

Koyoto spells economic disaster for industrialized nations.

Last year the first Hurricane was not formed until July 31st. I didn't hear anyone calling for global cooling.

7. mabrodis

mabrodis

I read somewhere (on the Internet so it has to be true right? :D ) that all the pollution the US and other civilized countries contribute to the world is a tiny percentage of what the other non-civilized countries contribute...so while what the US, UK, etc does is helpful, the real pollution is from other places.

Don't know how true that is, but just something I remember reading...ofcourse even if our changes don't make a huge impact, as long as they do make some impact then we still should...IMO...

8. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    Treaties are like assholes....everyones got one :D

9. 89GASHOG

89GASHOG

Media:
    Albums:
    At least until we don't have a president completely in the pocket of the oil and gas industries.

10. VTFJ40

VTFJ40

Actually, I thought hurricanes were due to more heat around the equator. They dissipate heat towards the poles, so I don't think that was the example you were looking for.

11. PHBeerman

PHBeerman

Nope it was the example I was looking for. Every moron on the news has been freaking out at the early start of the hurricane season. s*** happens. You cannot predict the weather. This last winter was unusually cold as well.

12. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    The fact of the matter is - it doesnt matter what happens in this world everyone points at the US.

On Pollution - the US produces all of it - :flipoff2: get your facts straight

On terrorism - the US invades countries with no justification - yeah, we hate it if we were to make your country safer in the meantime ( :cheers: England, AUS, NZ for the help)

On global disasters - Why doesn’t the US give more - fawk, if we actually got paid back for what $$ we loaned out we wouldn’t have a national debt.

It just aggravates me that most countries are the same - they always look to the US to bail them out and turn on us when the hard decisions need to be made...

13. VTFJ40

VTFJ40

I think the issue is global temperature change. It is getting warmer. Period. No dispute on that. Is it a natural warming cycle that happen periodically? Is it from us? Don't know.

Prolly, a combo of both.

That being said, what harm would there be in being a little more resonsible? Why keep our head in the sand until the planet's at condition red?

14. PHBeerman

PHBeerman

Resonable would not be a problem. The Kyoto Accord is spelling economic disaster for the industrialized nations, and Canada. Ask somebody who is involved in industry in one of these countries. I am most informed of the struggles that Canada faces in this as my father has been actively involved. Within the next 5 years Canada will have to close over 1/3 of their industrial facilities to meet the standards that they agreed to. If you want the US to have to do the same, then by all means talk about how great Kyoto is.

15. 89GASHOG

89GASHOG

Media:
    Albums:
    Maybe so. However, not only have several industrial countries signed on to Kyoto, a few are even more ambitious in their goals. Britain committed to cutting emissions by 60 percent by 2050. The Netherlands 80-percent and Germany is planning a 50-percent target. The US, under Clinton, proposed a modest reduction in greenhouse gas emissions while Bush II says "Fawk it!" no cuts at all.

16. patride71

patride71

dude...the US is like the NY Yankees. either you hate us or love us. no in between. also, everyone is gunning to knock us off our perch because we are the "big dog" or bully. depending on your POV.

17. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    How much of England’s/Netherlands GDP is dependant on industrial business?? If i recall correctly, England imports most of goods and the Netherlands aren’t real high up on the industrial ladder...

If you cut out 80% you would cripple the US economy - and the way i see it. If the US sneezes the rest of the world catches a cold...

18. VTFJ40

VTFJ40

So, since they weren't responsible before, asking them to be now is wrong?

I agree this sux. The facilities will just take the money they made and leave. Who's gonna take the beatin from all this? The worker.

Who gets the blame? The enviroment. :confused:

19. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    As much as i hate the Yankees.....wait, good analogy

20. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
    Oh my gawd!!! Its the end of the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Runnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!