Now what? SOS! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, need a little help please… my 91 Cruzr overheated…. Pulled off the freeway, let her cool down and replace the antifreeze . She will turn over but not fire. I have no leaks anywhere and the oil is good…. No water in oil or out of tail pipe. I’m out in the middle of no where…. Between Spokane and Ritzville. I left Montana early this morning with no issues. At the moment…. I am enjoying the breeze, watching the gophers and butterflies play… the normal stuff. Soooooo…. Now what? Still learning about my 91’ Cruzr…. Yet, at this time, I have no clue what to look for. Hoping the brain was not fried. Any thoughts brothers and sisters? Any thoughts/idea are appreciated…. Tyrel… from Montana

Hi all, need a little help please… my 91 Cruzr overheated…. Pulled off the freeway, let her cool down and replace the antifreeze . She will turn over but not fire. I have no leaks anywhere and the oil is good…. No water in oil or out of tail pipe. I’m out in the middle of no where…. Between Spokane and Ritzville. I left Montana early this morning with no issues. At the moment…. I am enjoying the breeze, watching the gophers and butterflies play… the normal stuff. Soooooo…. Now what? Still learning about my 91’ Cruzr…. Yet, at this time, I have no clue what to look for. Hoping the brain was not fried. Any thoughts brothers and sisters? Any thoughts/idea are appreciated…. Tyrel… from Montana
It may crank right up after it cools down

Do you know what caused the overheating in the first place? Coolant leak? Any idea how long you were in the red for? Did the engine change sound or stall before you stopped?

Do you know what caused the overheating in the first place? Coolant leak? Any idea how long you were in the red for? Did the engine change sound or stall before you stopped?
Yes, when I checked the radiator before I left Montana… seems I did not tighten cap down all the way. Just after I past Spokane… interstate 90, slow down to 5 mph or less and at times sat idle for 10 mins or more. When traffic did move at freeway speed… the needle hovered in low end of red for about 15 mins before I decided to pull over. Was hope to get to Ritzville about 30 Miles from where I am at. Just did not to try it. Like I meantioned, needl never peg, but stayed on low end of red. The Cruzr did not sputtered or die. I turned off and let cool down to fill with antifreeze.

Without any other details I would guess EFI relay or Fusible Links. If it is EFI relay you can probably swap out your AC condenser relay with your EFI to get you home. EFI relay is in the engine compartment, driver side fuse box.

1623722735479.png

Also see: Broken Down 1992 FJ80 3FE, HELP! - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/broken-down-1992-fj80-3fe-help.948116/

Good luck.

Agreed with pro.

Also look for cooked wires near block. Maybe the injector wiring harness.

Thank you! Only, I’m not sure where or ehat
Without any other details I would guess EFI relay or Fusible Links. If it is EFI relay you can probably swap out your AC condenser relay with your EFI to get you home. EFI relay is in the engine compartment, driver side fuse box.

View attachment 2703909

Also see: Broken Down 1992 FJ80 3FE, HELP! - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/broken-down-1992-fj80-3fe-help.948116/

Good luck.

View attachment 2703909

Good luck.
Thank you!
Agreed with pro.

Also look for cooked wires near block. Maybe the injector wiring harness.
thank you

Have your read through the FAQ section on not starting? Emergency Troubleshooting Procedures - FAQ Item (Recommend Keeping Copy in Truck) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/emergency-troubleshooting-procedures-faq-item-recommend-keeping-copy-in-truck.115816/. Has some good trouble shooting tips to maybe find your problem. I am not familiar with the 3fe but hope you are able to get it up and running and find it was an easy fix.
Hi, no hadn’t yet, still struggle a bit in maneuvering through the group…. Had Cruzr towed to Ritzville…. Waiting for NAPA to open…. Camped out in the Cruzr… during the storm through out the night…. Awesome!!!! Sure do appreciate the response both communicated and those who are reading post. Again, thank you have a great day from Montana

Is the check engine light illuminated when the key is in the ON position before cranking the starter?
Yes it is. Should note, I just replaced the EFI relay and new thermostat…. She started right up.
Hi all, need a little help please… my 91 Cruzr overheated…. Pulled off the freeway, let her cool down and replace the antifreeze . She will turn over but not fire. I have no leaks anywhere and the oil is good…. No water in oil or out of tail pipe. I’m out in the middle of no where…. Between Spokane and Ritzville. I left Montana early this morning with no issues. At the moment…. I am enjoying the breeze, watching the gophers and butterflies play… the normal stuff. Soooooo…. Now what?
Thanks for the follow up correction. For those who haven't addressed EFI relay issues on 3FEs it is best to keep spare relays either in the empty relay spot in the fuse or somewhere in the cabin.

Curious to know if @Montana Cruzr figured out what the issue was.
Hi, replaced the EFI relay, thermostat and clean/dry all connection… started right up. Unfortunately now have a little water with a little oil coming out of tailpipe…. This new. Checked oil not grey…however there some bubbles… thinking this may not good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom