Now this is odd: Truck running fine, parked it, came back out and completely dead: shift locked up, nothing works... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was out with the truck, running perfectly fine up until yesterday. Stopped by a convenience store on way home and when I came back out the rig was dead in the water. Shift locked up, no response when key in ACC mode, etc. Complete black out. I did the manual override of the shift-lock and got it into neutral, but still nothing electrical happening. Did some ih8mud searching and figured a likely blown fuse. Got the thing towed home the next day, pulled the fuses that affect shift-lock and both looked good. Next thing you know I noticed the door-open light was on and lo and behold the truck is acting like nothing ever happened. I haven't driven it yet, but it starts up just fine now.

Thoughts? One of the fuses came loose maybe and magically fixed by me taking it out and putting back in? Or something else loose that got fixed by the jostling and bouncing of getting it up on the flat-bed tow truck? The only other out of the ordinary event immediately leading up to it being dead was a harder than normal braking a few minutes before stopping at the store.

I'm stumped.

Fusible links on positive battery terminal

That ^, carry a spare set in the glove box.

Loose battery terminal. Had similar happen to me.
This! Fusible link pops once and you're done. A loose terminal is intermittent. I've had both. The Cruiser had to be towed home and every time I put a new FL in, it popped it. My loose terminal caused the engine to stutter and sometimes not start at all. I finally went to jump it when I noticed the loose terminal. Tightened it down and all was well.

Do you still have the port installed "factory" alarm system? If so, rip it out by the roots.

Loose battery terminal.
If you lost all electrical in the vehicle, then this has to be power supply (battery) related.
The alarm system would only effect certain circuits.
There are 3 fusible links that all power different sub systems. However, they all tie together at the positive battery terminal.
Check the simple things first.

Well, now I feel dumb! I immediately went to thinking of more complicated potential issues, and completely forgot to check the darn battery terminals! The positive terminal had worked its way loose.

My post was the equivalent of tossing the entire house looking for my phone or keys when they were in my pocket the whole time. :)

As always, thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom