NOw the bucking and surgeing is real bad (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
I posted a thread as to my fj60 bucking and surgeing. Well it deff does it when the truck is hot, so I can rule out the cold related issues. Many people pointed to the EGR? How do I check that and what should I replace?

Thanks,
Zack

is their an exhaust leak? mine is from the egr pipe to much air getting in.

also try the pcv. and make sure theirs no leaks under the carb sucking in air

try replacing the fuel filter dude....mine starts to surge like its outa gas and thats what i do...works every time....after all, 20 plus years of gas pumps and you are bound to get some stuff in the tank and then it ends up clogging the fuel filter....its a ten minute, 5 dollar fix.......give it a try......

OK. Mine bucked slighlty 8000 miles ago and began to do it more and more. It got to the point I thought the driveshaft and U-joints were going to be destroyed because of it. I put on 3 fuel filters in 3 tanks of fuel. Tried using Mid grade gas. Cleaned and or plugged the egr, 2 new fuel pumps, and nothing seemed to help. I just pulled the carb off and sent it to JimC in hopes that the 20 years of lack of use can be reversed and that all will run well. I figured it was just time to have it rebuilt. If this doesn't fix it I am really going to loose my $#!t. When was you last carb rebuild?

I had the same symptoms after I filled up and drove about 30 minutes. It was a combination of a plugged up charcoal canister and a non-venting fuel cap.

IH8Wood said:
I had the same symptoms after I filled up and drove about 30 minutes. It was a combination of a plugged up charcoal canister and a non-venting fuel cap.

Holy crap. I bought a new fuel cap from Toyota just before the bucking started getting real bad. It's Toyota O.E. but looked diffrent than the one I lost. I also hear bubbling/gurgling after I shut the bastid off. Could this be the root of my evil?

How do we tell if the cap is venting and where is the charcoal canister?

edit (Didn't mean to hi-jack.)

Last edited:
Egr Test

Okay look at the EGR (under the hood) The vacume hose you want to deal with is the one on the "Nipple" most aft, (to the rear) on the top of the EGR rear most and
nearest the Carb is another way to put it..

The hose comes off some round deal located on a bracket on the breather intake, dunno what the hell that thing is, lots of vacume hoses on it though.

Pull that hose off the nipple (on the egr). Find a machine screw, wood dowel, or what ever and plug the hose end you pulled off, let it hang. Leave the nipple alone on the egr.

Crank fj, drive, if it stops surging the egr is stuck (open or closed i forget which)

I have been running mine plugged for two years now. Someday, if emmissions start getting checked here, I will replace the egr.

Okay...

uh, yeah, I did say nipple.

Male fitting? Female hose?

It's all so exciting!

High Desert said:
Okay look at the EGR (under the hood) The vacume hose you want to deal with is the one on the "Nipple" most aft, (to the rear) on the top of the EGR rear most and
nearest the Carb is another way to put it..

The hose comes off some round deal located on a bracket on the breather intake, dunno what the hell that thing is, lots of vacume hoses on it though.

Pull that hose off the nipple (on the egr). Find a machine screw, wood dowel, or what ever and plug the hose end you pulled off, let it hang. Leave the nipple alone on the egr.

Crank fj, drive, if it stops surging the egr is stuck (open or closed i forget which)

I have been running mine plugged for two years now. Someday, if emmissions start getting checked here, I will replace the egr.

I've got Pics from hullendersauce on the link below

Yep, That's the nipple. Great pictures. I hope people can find those on a search for egr problems.

I was having the same problem with my 85 FJ60, hesitating and surging and it was EGR related, however it wasn't the EGR itself. It was the EGR vacuum regulator, which is the round plastic contraption that the EGR is connected to via the vacuum tube mentioned. That vacuum modulator has filters in it that become clogged and cause the EGR to act erratically. Take it off, open it up, clean out the filters or replace it. Also check the EGR as descibed to see if that causes it to run differently. Another thing to check is the vacuum gas filter, which is right in front of the carb on the manifold. It has three vacuum tubes going into the top of it. This usually gets clogged as well. Any of these clogged or leaking vacuum tubes will also cause hesitation so check all the tubes while you are in there. Good luck.

Thought of something else: I usually run 89 - 91 octane, but I had to stop aa a small town gas station in November and filled it up with 85. I've never had it run worse. It could have just been bad gas, but I really think it prefers the high octane or the hesitation/bucking at speed happens.

IH8Wood said:
Dude that fuel cap, can be such a menace! I mean the problem is something can be searched in circles but the fuel cap??? I had that problem and I curse the damn thing for being such a simple fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom