Now that's strange..!!

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by Cancruiser, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Cancruiser

Cancruiser

Shortly after I bought my truck last summer it developed some weird ticking noise. I posted the problem here:
    https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/242027-my-hdj81-saga.html

The noise was definitely coming from the crankcase general area. I have confirmed with a stethoscope, and two other mechanic shops confirmed that it is coming from that area.

After the oil analysis came O.K., I didn't really bother with the noise. I drove ~ 10,000 km since then without a problem. However, with time the noise got more frequent and louder.

Now, I have removed the ACSD afew days ago due to abnormally high RPM. Read my post here:
    https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/266555-acsd-mysterious-device.html

After a few days driving, the ticking noise is almost gone!! It is still there to some extent, but fainter and very less frequent..

The ticking noise was DEFINITELY not coming from the ACSD as confirmed by 3 different persons.. Isn't it weird??

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  2. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

piston slap .. ?

3. Cancruiser

Cancruiser

Could be...
    I would believe anything now.. Even the unicorn...

4. Radd Cruisers

Radd Cruisers

Media:
    Albums:
    Adjust your valves! Must be done with the engine COLD.

~John

5. Cancruiser

Cancruiser

John,
    Is it usually common practice to adjust the valves after ACSD removal? How easy to source the shims needed for the adjustment?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.