Now that it’s going to be 2022! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry, the trade in would be a 50k mile 95 Miata in a nice spec and excellent condition. I had it before the Miata market went crazy so I’d be happy to turn it into another 80. The Miata is Montego blue, pretty similar to dark emerald too.
Good idea. Do it.

miles don’t concern me any more.

Mehhh, I consider the hassle to be part of the hobby. I’d spend my money on a Subaru Outback before a jeep tbh.
Amen. I’d consider an outback a fine daily. My wife and I have one and it’s been better than a Heep for reliability. And we’ve taken it ‘off-road’ in places I’ve seen jeep drivers balk at.

Amen. I’d consider an outback a fine daily. My wife and I have one and it’s been better than a Heep for reliability. And we’ve taken it ‘off-road’ in places I’ve seen jeep drivers balk at.
Thank you! Ive taken my outback’s places that you shouldn’t and even loaded up long blocks in the back for other projects. And with a decent set of tires it’ll perform just as good if not better than your new Audi/vw/Volvo suvs in snow. Plus they’re cheap, and easy to replace.

Mileage is always something to consider, but it's towards the bottom of the list imo. There are a myriad of things I'd look at first before that. I've been in an 80 with less than 100k that was clapped and one with near 400k that was incredibly solid. Check the miles, but if you're basing your purchase on the odometer reading you're not doing yourself any favors.

Mileage is always something to consider, but it's towards the bottom of the list imo. There are a myriad of things I'd look at first before that. I've been in an 80 with less than 100k that was clapped and one with near 400k that was incredibly solid. Check the miles, but if you're basing your purchase on the odometer reading you're not doing yourself any favors.
Thanks for the response, I can relate all too well as my 94 with only 160k has seen better days after living it’s whole life in the northeast.

People talk a lot about the documentation. But if you only have one record showing a headgasket and related items completed, what do the other items really matter if it hasn't been wrecked etc? They are old enough to need many of the regular items done again and who isn't going to be replacing all the rubber bits and seals they can get their hands on? You don't need a receipt to know a radiator, heater valve or puffy hoses are in need of replacing. You know good and well you will need to replace the fuel filter and old hoses, brake lines etc. same is true for the front axle service, or rear axle service, you can usually inspect right on site and know if those are going to need to be done by you soon.

If i have a 400k engine in a rig i am looking at, but my little cheap borescope in the spark plug hole shows cylinder looks good, and when it runs it sounds like a sewing machine, then I am going to check and make sure the oil is normal and not super thick to hide damaged bearings etc ...and THEN if nothing comes up scary, I will be fine with milage and worry about other stuff. Example: Do i have space and/or do i have the funds.

Last edited:
People talk a lot about the documentation. But if you only have one record showing a headgasket and related items completed, what do the other items really matter if it hasn't been wrecked etc? They are old enough to need many of the regular items done again and who isn't going to be replacing all the rubber bits and seals they can get their hands on? You don't need a receipt to know a radiator, heater valve or puffy hoses are in need of replacing. You know good and well you will need to replace the fuel filter and old hoses, brake lines etc. same is true for the front axle service, or rear axle service, you can usually inspect right on site and know if those are going to need to be done by you soon.

If i have a 400k engine in a rig i am looking at, but my little cheap borescope in the spark plug hole shows cylinder looks good, and when it runs it sounds like a sewing machine, then I am going to check and make sure the oil is normal and not super thick to hide damaged bearings etc ...and THEN if nothing comes up scary, I will be fine with milage and worry about other stuff. Example: ido i have space and/or do i have the funds.
Well put!

A lot of North American J80 Cruisers saw a relatively easy life, especially if they're still bone stock with running boards etc. Chances are those miles are mostly from the highway, and there will be very little engine wear as a result. Also, it would have to have at least a decent maintenance history to get to 300k in the first place I'd think.

On the other hand, I'd almost be more suspicious of a "low mileage" example which likely sat for months on end and/or was treated as a grocery getter.

Last edited:
If i have a 400k engine in a rig i am looking at, but my little cheap borescope in the spark plug hole shows cylinder looks good, and when it runs it sounds like a sewing machine, then I am going to check and make sure the oil is normal and not super thick to hide damaged bearings etc ...and THEN if nothing comes up scary, I will be fine with milage and worry about other stuff. Example: ido i have space and/or do i have the funds.
Boom.
You ARE the smartest person in GA.

disclaimer:I'm from ATL and stand by the assertion.

edit: @slow95z and others notwithstanding of course

Last edited:
A lot of North American J80 Cruisers saw a relatively easy life, especially if they're still bone stock with running boards etc. Chances are those miles are mostly from the highway, and there will be very little engine wear as a result. Also, it would have to have at least a decent maintenance history to get to 300k in the first place I'd think.

On the other hand, I'd almost be more suspicious of a "low mileage" example which likely sat for months on end and/or was treated as a grocery getter.
What is this??
I thought you got rid of your 80 and are swimming the seas of Taco de Ma Pick Em Up.
All the love, but there is no cross homologation.

Last edited:
What is this??
I thought you got rid of your 80 and are swimming the seas of Taco de Ma Pick Em Up.
All the love, but there is no cross homologation.
Lol nah I’ve still got it for now but I’m still a little commitment-phobic with it for various reasons

And I guess the closes thing to “cross-homologation” would be an 85 4Runner with a 3rz swap..

f*** YEAH to 6M1! I didn’t see that going the way it did lol.

I don’t think 12k is too far off in this market. If it drives and presents well and everything underneath and inside looks well sorted, offer 10k and negotiate to walk OTD @ $10.5
I thought Eddie Bauer green was cool when I bought one but it’s not. It’s a fad that happened and passed by. Ford knows this too. Luckily I rolled the green machine because that enabled me to step into an 045 paint code. White is timeless, the most popular car color by far, stands the test of time, and reflects heat, that’s why my engine never over heats. :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom