Now that it’s going to be 2022! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there’s already discussions on this topic but now that it’s 2022 and our trucks are getting older and more valuable; how many miles are too many? In 2010-2015 and earlier you could get a clean “low mileage” 80series for a decent price. That’s no longer the case. With that being said is 300k miles still too much if it’s clean? I know there are many factors such as condition, maintenance history, and so on. I’m curious on how opinions may have changed in the last 10+ years.

Time to buy a Jeep. These trucks are more hassle than they are worth.

I just (as in last Sunday) bought a 97 40th anniversary with almost 325k on the clock, the owner who put the majority of the miles on it kept an impressive maintenance spreadsheet and really took care of the truck so i didn't mind the mileage and the truck so far seems to still run strong. Also the price was right at well under 10k, so far I'd do it again.

Last edited:
I just (as in last Sunday) bought a 97 40th anniversary with almost 325k on the clock, the owner who put the majority of the miles on it kept an impressive maintenance spreadsheet and really took care of the truck so i didn't mind the mileage and the truck so far seems to still run strong. The price was also right so so far I'd do it again.
Thanks for the response! I agree with you 100%. I’ve driven high mileage cars that were an absolute treat during ownership, all while owning sub 100k 10year old cars that were nightmares with issues not directly related to maintenance and upkeep

Mechanicals can be rebuilt. Rust & trashed interior to me are the worst to fix. As more parts become NLA it will get more expensive to refurbish the interior and harder to find good used parts. Refurbish your seats, sound deadening, new carpet, refresh your steering wheel are already time consuming and expensive to do. Add in fixing a cracked dash, repairing or replacing seat belts, fixing trashed doors cards, fixing inoperable interior lights, refurbishing the HVAC system, RR deleted, all new weatherstripping, wiper and squirters refreshed, window runs and on and on. A Cruiser that needs all that is going to be pretty hard to refurbish when you can’t get those parts. 80’s will just be the new 60’s and 40’s although it could be awhile before aftermarket supports them enough to do a full refresh on the body & interior.

You shouldn’t have any issues for awhile getting mechanical parts, even from Toyota. Sure short blocks will come to an end but rebuild parts will still be available. The engine parts becoming NLA from Toyota is definitely why I built a fully new 1FZ while I could. I predict doing that with all OEM parts will be no more by 2025 at the latest and it could be any day. Nobody knows when the last short block or head is coming.

I personally judge them by the Cruiser it’s self. Higher mile is no issue if the Cruiser has been owned and maintained, especially by an enthusiast. That is why buying here on mud from a Cruiserhead is good. Although plenty of Cruiserheads out there not on mud. Just saying an enthusiast is usually the best to buy from.

Cheers

Adding depth to this question with a “hypothetical” situation. You’re driving down the road and you see an fzj80 sitting at a used car lot… you don’t need another one so you just check it out as you drive by. Later that day your mind is wandering… you’ve gotta at least give it a second look. At first glimpse, the truck is pretty clean, free of any rust or rot, besides some surface rust on suspension components. The roof of the truck is faded and abused by the sun, but that doesn’t bother you. The interior is in good complete condition with what looks likes recovered seats. Then you notice the ODO has 300k miles and you almost don’t believe it based on how the truck presents itself. By this point you’re intrigued, and because this 80 is also in the best color option you enquire further… the selling dealer knows nothing of the vehicles history and presents no maintenance history other than a carfax which only includes oil changes and regular maintenance items. At this point you feel defeated with bad news when you perhaps hoped for better. But you still might be interested… ?

I just (as in last Sunday) bought a 97 40th anniversary with almost 325k on the clock, the owner who put the majority of the miles on it kept an impressive maintenance spreadsheet and really took care of the truck so i didn't mind the mileage and the truck so far seems to still run strong. Also the price was right at well under 10k, so far I'd do it again.
I'll second the above. In April I got my LX450 with 372k miles. Passed CA smog. Not a flake of rust, paint and clear coat excellent. Interior I'd say a "9." Only things interior-wise I replaced were stereo and drivers visor.
Still a few garage kept, babied, well maintained ones out there. Patients and $$$ generally pay off.
I completely rebuilt mine, so I have a new 25 year old beast.

Mechanicals can be rebuilt. Rust & trashed interior to me are the worst to fix. As more parts become NLA it will get more expensive to refurbish the interior and harder to find good used parts. Refurbish your seats, sound deadening, new carpet, refresh your steering wheel are already time consuming and expensive to do. Add in fixing a cracked dash, repairing or replacing seat belts, fixing trashed doors cards, fixing inoperable interior lights, refurbishing the HVAC system, RR deleted, all new weatherstripping, wiper and squirters refreshed, window runs and on and on. A Cruiser that needs all that is going to be pretty hard to refurbish when you can’t get those parts. 80’s will just be the new 60’s and 40’s although it could be awhile before aftermarket supports them enough to do a full refresh on the body & interior.

You shouldn’t have any issues for awhile getting mechanical parts, even from Toyota. Sure short blocks will come to an end but rebuild parts will still be available. The engine parts becoming NLA from Toyota is definitely why I built a fully new 1FZ while I could. I predict doing that with all OEM parts will be no more by 2025 at the latest and it could be any day. Nobody knows when the last short block or head is coming.

I personally judge them by the Cruiser it’s self. Higher mile is no issue if the Cruiser has been owned and maintained, especially by an enthusiast. That is why buying here on mud from a Cruiserhead is good. Although plenty of Cruiserheads out there not on mud. Just saying an enthusiast is usually the best to buy from.

Cheers
Thank you! This is the response I came for! I look forward to projects to a certain extent, but rust repair, fabrication, and body work are completely out of my wheelhouse.

Adding depth to this question with a “hypothetical” situation. You’re driving down the road and you see an fzj80 sitting at a used car lot… you don’t need another one so you just check it out as you drive by. Later that day your mind is wandering… you’ve gotta at least give it a second look. At first glimpse, the truck is pretty clean, free of any rust or rot, besides some surface rust on suspension components. The roof of the truck is faded and abused by the sun, but that doesn’t bother you. The interior is in good complete condition with what looks likes recovered seats. Then you notice the ODO has 300k miles and you almost don’t believe it based on how the truck presents itself. By this point you’re intrigued, and because this 80 is also in the best color option you enquire further… the selling dealer knows nothing of the vehicles history and presents no maintenance history other than a carfax which only includes oil changes and regular maintenance items. At this point you feel defeated with bad news when you perhaps hoped for better. But you still might be interested… ?
What is the purpose of this hypothetical? So far of what I read sounds to me like a cruiser I’m about to buy. What’s the bad news you speak of? Lack of maintenance records? The dealer not knowing what he has means I’m potentially getting a deal.

I’m buying this SOB. tell me where it’s at.

What is the purpose of this hypothetical? So far of what I read sounds to me like a cruiser I’m about to buy. What’s the bad news you speak of? Lack of maintenance records? The dealer not knowing what he has means I’m potentially getting a deal.

I’m buying this SOB. tell me where it’s at.
I think the dealer has a clue, we haven’t talked numbers other than what he’s got on the window. The price is high in my opinion with no records of Head gasket, axle rebuilds, transmission service, or really anything with over 300k miles. That’s where my hypothetical comes from.

I think the dealer has a clue, we haven’t talked numbers other than what he’s got on the window. The price is high in my opinion with no records of Head gasket, axle rebuilds, transmission service, or really anything with over 300k miles. That’s where my hypothetical comes from.
Give us more context. How much?

96 unlocked, stock and it is absolutely 6M1

**** YEAH to 6M1! I didn’t see that going the way it did lol.

I don’t think 12k is too far off in this market. If it drives and presents well and everything underneath and inside looks well sorted, offer 10k and negotiate to walk OTD @ $10.5

Figure 10 to 15k in doing a nice refresh. That includes paint, rebuild axles, replacing seals and gaskets, radiator, hoses, evap core and expansion valve, replace booster and brake components, replace weatherstripping, fix wiring issues, redo suspension, and refresh interior. No such thing as a cheap 80 series in my opinion unless you buy it for 12k and continue in driving it into the ground as prior owners did. Which in that case when it finally stops running it will only be worth a grand or 2 as something that doesn't run or drive isn't worth much.

f*** YEAH to 6M1! I didn’t see that going the way it did lol.

I don’t think 12k is too far off in this market. If it drives and presents well and everything underneath and inside looks well sorted, offer 10k and negotiate to walk OTD @ $10.5
I have a 94 and it’s 6M1, It really is the best. I’d be happy at $10.5. Perhaps i can get the deal to swing in my favor with a trade in.

Eff that. Keep the 94 and buy the 96.
Sorry, the trade in would be a 50k mile 95 Miata in a nice spec and excellent condition. I had it before the Miata market went crazy so I’d be happy to turn it into another 80. The Miata is Montego blue, pretty similar to dark emerald too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom