Novice who ripped into his 1st birfield job today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I have been mentioning in a few threads lately about attempting my first birf job this week and I actually started today.

In about 3 hours I got right to where you knock the spindle loose on both sides. I had to leave my buddy's garage and go home by then.

My observations as a 1 banana mechanic

- Caliper bolts were a motha f'r got the one side.. but passenger side was stuck bad.. got one off and still have to get the lower one broke free.
- Cone washers on drive flange were a PITA to get loose mainly because of how long the vehicle had gone since last service.. after enough pounding on the hub for 30 minutes they came out .. phew! One of of the bolt thread heads was broke off from the last time somebody tried getting them off or on.. at least the cone washer was still intact
- The locknut and adjusting nut when removing those came off SUPER easy maybe like they were torqued to 15ft lbs because I barely tried with the 54mm hub socket. I assume that was bad if I kept driving like that thank god I am doing the front end now haha.

I hope to get it all torn down tomorrow and the whole cleaning process done and put back together by the weekend. Definetely much cooler to see all this stuff on my own truck then reading about it over and over. Thanks to mud I am saving myself tons of money.

Nice work! I've been contemplating this for a few weeks now. Good to see others without much experience who are taking the leap. I'll be calling CDan soon to order the parts.

A cheater pipe on the end of your breaker bar/ratchet handle should help you break those caliper bolts loose.:D

Well I was using 1/2" socket wrench with an 18" handle and no go.. got the top bolt off the same caliper using a bottle jack on two wood blocks and it made a loud squelch and the top bolt came loose.. sprayed the bottom one up and will try again tomorrow.. heh

I got nothing to contribute, but just wanted to brag that I had CDan and beno do mine a few weeks ago!:hillbilly:

Good luck!!!

I got nothing to contribute, but just wanted to brag that I had CDan and beno do mine a few weeks ago!:hillbilly:

Good luck!!!

Your truck was in NM???

Breaker bar is a must if you want to work on these rigs. I own at least 3 different sizes,
plus cheater pipes and a torch. Usually my 30'' bar will pop anything free in seconds.
Save yourself some valuable time and invest or rent the proper tools!! Props for taking
on this job, you will be glad you did in the end!!! Steve

Well I was using 1/2" socket wrench with an 18" handle and no go.. got the top bolt off the same caliper using a bottle jack on two wood blocks and it made a loud squelch and the top bolt came loose.. sprayed the bottom one up and will try again tomorrow.. heh

I guess it's time for a 6' cheater pipe.:D

Well I was using 1/2" socket wrench with an 18" handle and no go..

Any time you are complaining "no go" instead of "I broke the head of the bolt off" means you need a bigger wrench or more heft. Man up and get it done.

Any time you are complaining "no go" instead of "I broke the head of the bolt off" means you need a bigger wrench or more heft. Man up and get it done.

LOL I use a four foot pipe on the end of a breaker bar, sometimes if I barely tighten 1st, it then loosens no problem...don't ask me why:meh:

UPDATE:

Spent 6 hours today and got everything off and cleaned .. that caliper bolt just needed some more ummmphhh.

Now I am just waiting on my rebuild kit from Cruiser Outfitters..
My seal puller came today came in handy 2 minutes all seals were out.

One of the most wacky things that happened today was on the passenger side when I went to take off the 54mm nut and adjusting nut they were "HAND TIGHT" I say again HAND TIGHT I didn't even need the socket talk about holy hell.

I am dirty as a coal mine but I know I just saved myself at least $1000.

I love working on this truck now haha

cheers!
had 3 beers already

Actually I used that same 1/2" 18" long socket wrench to break it free using a 12 point 17mm socket instead of the 6 point which I didn't have in 1/2" socket size.

I guess soaked in pb stuff all night got it to go finally.. I tried a ton of pressure and heard it moan 2-3 times then the impact gun got it off woohoo

cruiser1.jpg

cruiser2.jpg

cruiser3.jpg
cruiser1.jpg
cruiser2.jpg
cruiser3.jpg

Two inner knuckles with Marlin Crawler axle seals installed
Put new races in afterwards

cruiser4.jpg

cruiser5.jpg

cruiser6.jpg

Now I am just waiting on my Redline grease to be delivered Monday and I can put it all back together and drink some beers and no longer think of myself as a newbie lol
cruiser4.jpg
cruiser5.jpg
cruiser6.jpg

Not so bad once you rip into it. I started it after work today, I'm all apart with my junk soaking for a good scrub grease and install!

Didn't you get the memo? :D

They just happened to come to Japan and drop by at my place for a few days. :hillbilly:

Scroll down ;)
Mot,
Guess what? I'm calling CDan on Monday morning. All of a sudden, I've got one of these messes on my hands.

Will you be in the 'hood?:p

Seriously, drop Maiko and me a line if you're in the area. I'm really hoping this is all fixed soon! :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom