Novice: Fuel/Carb/Choke Issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No. Pan down and to the right a little. It's a large black component on the inboard side of the vent louvres.
Ah. So something is supposed to be here?

20180820_211850.jpg

Yep, the carb cooling fan.

182-92a.gif
Cool ... not sure if that's the problem, but either way now I just need to figure out part number and if still out there somewhere. Thx !

You'll have to buy one used, but I'll look up the number tomorrow.

Any chance to get a pic that shows that tag with part number there?

Do you still have the stock cast iron exhaust manifold on there, or does it have headers?

Yep, stock. The cooling fan does make a difference. The cast iron manifold puts a lot of heat to the bottom of the carb and intake manifold.

The carb cooling fan part number is/was 16360-61023, but I'm sure you will only find one used. Check the mud classifieds.

Something else you might look at is the condition of the intake manifold where it is connected to the exhaust manifold. The aluminum intake manifold can crack from exhaust being directed at it by the exhaust manifold. Pull the carb and look at the intake manifold directly below the carb.

Last edited:
If the engine is running hot, that will increase the percolation/evaporation problem.

Is the radiator stock?

What is the timing set at?

If the engine is running hot, that will increase the percolation/evaporation problem.

Is the radiator stock?

What is the timing set at?
Yes ... stock radiator ... had inspected by radiator shop a few months ago and was okay ... temp seems normal (radiator shows 185 w/ laser thermo; watch it flow thru Gano when hits 190) ... uhh, he sheepishly says IDK timing.

Inspected 40 year old radiator= buy a new radiator.

And check the timing.

I’m not guaranteeing it will solve your problems, but it will help.

Inspected 40 year old radiator= buy a new radiator.

And check the timing.

I’m not guaranteeing it will solve your problems, but it will help.

Copy that ... will put on my list of replacements (tho inspect = I should have said I removed it and had shop test it/reattach drain).

Will see about timing. Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom