• Taskers Gap

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Flag Pole Knob

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Big Levels

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll continue watching this as I might be up for a trailride if I'm free and in town.

Do you have a GPX for Taskers Gap and Big Levels?

I don't recall ever being to those trails.

I'd be open for any of them after Nov 5th.

Thanks!

Depending on when exactly, I'd be up for a trip. Our anniversary is in Nov, and I'm not entirely sure what the plan is, or when we are executing it, but I'd love to get a trip in before winter makes things too soggy.

Do you have a GPX for Taskers Gap and Big Levels?

I don't recall ever being to those trails.

I'd be open for any of them after Nov 5th.

Thanks!
I have taskers gap already. there are 3 Big Levels downloads on Gaia that look good.
Taskers is a easy run and it's only 8 miles from me. Big levels trail ends at a brewery and I know we usually plan a February trip up to Flag Pole so I'm not sure if people want to go back but I am up for all 3

The campsite at devil's backbone is booked for months in advance. Just fyi. I think people use it as a base for wintergreen. But you can camp for free in the nf anywhere on big levels

The campsite at devil's backbone is booked for months in advance. Just fyi. I think people use it as a base for wintergreen. But you can camp for free in the nf anywhere on big levels
I was going to say big levels is all a giant camp site. Every time I have been to Devils backbone I’ve gotten the vibe that the campground is being used mainly for people who wanna go party at DB and then just crash there

Yup. that too. As long as you don't mind pooping in the woods (in a properly dug hole) dispersed camping is way better anyway.

I'd be interested in Big Levels...but it says season is April 1st to October 31st...is the season for camping only, or the entire trail? I can't imagine that the trail would be closed all winter starting November 1st, but I'd hate to drive that far and run into a big pole barred across the entrance.

Hmm I've never seen the gate closed in winter. It's only 20mins from me. I'll go out and check this week (after Monday) and report back. Of course those nf guys don't really follow a strict schedule. The places they say they close on the first sometimes stay open until the middle of the month or sometimes they don't close them at all. I think it's more of a "when we get to it" kind of schedule.

I thought Peters Mill was the only one that closes

It could only be the Sherando Lake recreation area that is seasonal, but it's always hard to tell with the Gov't sites...they are usually a bunch of links to each other that don't really give any useful info...

It does say on the main page about seasonal and dates, but the link for "more info" goes to the lake and campsite areas.

I haven't had a chance to drive out there but I did some research and asked a few friends and I don't think big levels closes in November. USGS site says it the trail closed jan 1 to Apr 1, which is the same as potts so I'm inclined to believe that

I haven't had a chance to drive out there but I did some research and asked a few friends and I don't think big levels closes in November. USGS site says it the trail closed jan 1 to Apr 1, which is the same as potts so I'm inclined to believe that
Right, unless there's something weird going this season. Big levels is a fire road and hunter's access trail.

Sherando Lake if typically open year around. However, they do winterize the bathrooms at some point.

Shenandoah Acres is very close to the bottom trail entrance if anyone is looking for a camp ground.

misty mountain camp resort near Crozet is popular as well.

I'm still interested if this gets put together and my son would love to join me as a passenger. Since I'd be coming from MD, I'm not much help with organizing or scouting though...

One Month Before a Trail Ride:

1668348712440.png

One Week Before a Trail Ride:

1668348662879.png

Night Before:

1668348590705.png

Well it looks like big levels is the overwhelming favorite.
We could do the 19th. The next weekend is thanksgiving weekend and I’m not sure if anyone should be up for that weekend ( I could care less and actually avoiding the crowds might be a cool thing) and the the dec3 after that I know I’m not available but if people want to go that’s fine.

I work the next two Saturdays but I could do either Sunday if anyone's interested. I'd have to check my December schedule but I think I can do the 3rd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom