notre dame is burning

thatcabledude

SILVER Star
For outside water to reach the flames inside there would have to be a hole on the roof. In a place like that it's too late at that point.

Rigger

Ramble Tamble
Staff member

It would be interesting to know what happened. Construction accident? Act of terror? Or . . . . ?

To rebuild, perhaps they'll use steel instead of wood.

DSRTRDR

I can mangle anything ...
SILVER Star

fire was reported at 7pm - not likely that anybody was still working at the construction site then - unless something smoldering was unattended to as everybody left for the evening . . .

JuanJ

Hello,

Some thoughts that crossed my mind.

When Notre Dame was built, the Arabs still ruled over most of Spain. Italy was a number of city-states at the receiving end of the Silk Route, and the Eastern Roman Empire still existed.

The cathedral saw every single war that ravaged France and Europe since then. It was there when the French Revolution started. It saw Napoleon's self coronation and the turmoil that followed.

Notre Dame was there when the Germans shelled Paris with heavy artillery in World War I and when the Nazis invaded. Then it received the Allies after the liberation of France.

Joan of Arc was canonized there.

It is so sad to see it on fire. A part of our collective story, as both a society and a species, is gone, never to return.

Juan

Was that all wood scaffolding? If so, a little fire at the bottom would catch that whole thing on fire. Unbelievable that this has been around so long under so many circumstances and a construction fire caused this. I hope the Vatican has a good insurance policy. Damn shame.

surfpig

The Anti-Tech

Hello,

Some thoughts that crossed my mind.

When Notre Dame was built, the Arabs still ruled over most of Spain. Italy was a number of city-states at the receiving end of the Silk Route, and the Eastern Roman Empire still existed.

The cathedral saw every single war that ravaged France and Europe since then. It was there when the French Revolution started. It saw Napoleon's self coronation and the turmoil that followed.

Notre Dame was there when the Germans shelled Paris with heavy artillery in World War I and when the Nazis invaded. Then it received the Allies after the liberation of France.

Joan of Arc was canonized there.

It is so sad to see it on fire. A part of our collective story, as both a society and a species, is gone, never to return.

Juan
800+ years of history. Gone.

Top Bottom