Notice any big difference running wider tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting new rubber and can't decide what width to buy, 10.5 or 12.5 in 33" BFG Muds? I have had 33" x 10.5 BFG AT KO for a couple of years now and like them alot. Opinions?

thanks

Ryan

Wider tires make it a bit harder to turn if you have no power steering.

More rubber on the road.

Narrower

I like the look of a narrow tire. I love the old bias ply Buckshot Mudders.

Tall and Narrow.

:cheers:

J.R.
start.jpg

There is a noticeable difference, w/ the wider tires naturally wanting to wander more. But I notice an equally significant difference between bias and radial construction. IOW, I am not sure which would be more squirrelly: Swamper 34x10.5 bias or BFG mud 35 (34" true) x12.50.

JRFJ4- said:
I like the look of a narrow tire. I love the old bias ply Buckshot Mudders.

Tall and Narrow.

:cheers:

J.R.

I also like the look of a tall, skinny tire. What's more, they do wander less and are easier to turn with Armstrong power steering. And, they are better in snow, because they dig down and don't float so much.
DSCN4251a (Small).JPG

i went from a 33x15.5r15 tsl/sx to a 32x11.5r15 M/T and it was quite a bit easier to steer and there was definitely from oomph to the engine.

I would say that wandering from lane to lane and following grooves in the road would be your most noticable difference.

I like the look of the tall and skinny too.

Rezarf <><

Plus hot chicks dig tall and skinny tires. Seriously, I just wheeled around Telluride with 33X9.5 BFG MTs (I know, no longer available) and love the way they ride on the road and on up to moderate trails (have not yet tried any extreme trails). Very controllable, do not follow ruts in the road, and are a breeze to steer (I have PS though).

I have loved the 33 x 10.5 AT, but I need those MT, no more slicks up in the mud in E. Washington. That is the only time I ever cussed my AT KO, when we are in that Thick clay mud, that I cannot clean out of the tires!! I looks like I will go 10.5, but Discount Tire doesn't carry them, might have to get them from 4wheelparts.

thanks

For all of the advice!

Doc, how can you embarrass that poor woman by making her ride around in a cruiser with an upside down bezel? And the dog too?!

If you go with any tire wider than 10.5, you will probably need to trim your rear fenders and maybe install flares if you haven't yet. That's all assuming you are running wheels with 3.5 inches of backspacing. I run 2.5 inch lift springs with OEM shackles and 33x10.5 BFG MTs on 8 inch wide 3.5 inch backspaced wheels that don't rub my fenders. Good luck.

I was running rear fender flares, but I am still undecided as to whether I am going to install new ones. The way my fender wells are trimmed, I have to rivet through the quarter panel, and into the cab!! Thanks

Ryan

Depends what you use your cruiser for. DD skinny, OR (off road) wider is better. I had some 35x11.5 MTRs and loved them both on and off road.

Now I run 38x14 swampers on a 2" BS bead lock. Off road only though.

Good Luck,

DocB said:
Plus hot chicks dig tall and skinny tires. Seriously, I just wheeled around Telluride with 33X9.5 BFG MTs (I know, no longer available) and love the way they ride on the road and on up to moderate trails (have not yet tried any extreme trails). Very controllable, do not follow ruts in the road, and are a breeze to steer (I have PS though).

Hey, I've been watching for somebody from the Amarillo area on here. I'm from Canyon. Do you know of any good places to go wheeling around here besides the Canadian River up by Dumas? Looking for somewhere real close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom