Not your typical "Loose Mirror"

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by TX_TLC, Jun 30, 2005.

1. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

Ok so upon digging around in my mirrors recently I now have a problem. I had done the RTV broken tab fix and while trying to remove the mirror this week I had the mirror (the actual thin piece of "glass") seperate from the motor.

Now it looks like the only 2 points of attachment between the two are the two ball-headed joints that spin to make the actual mirror move. So I popped these back into place but the mirror is still way wobbley.

I have searched to find Dan say there are no replacement parts for the inners. :doh: So anyone else had this problem? I have looked at the PS and it is tight. I can't tell what is holding it so tight though.

Guess my only solution might be to wedge something between the mirror and the housing to keep it from moving. This would be a last resort over shelling out $200 for a new mirror.

Thanks!

2. tucker74

tucker74 Moderator

You've got the most popular color out there man - do the temp fix and put your feelers out for a used one. I'll bet you find a green one ...

Tucker

3. OZCAL

OZCAL

I had it 2x! Only fix I could muster up was dabs of liquid nails (not the small tube, but the big one used for securing baseboards, paneling etc) where the mirror mount had broken away from the servo. I used liquid nails because it holds tight without getting so brittle that it will crack again. This was on a '93 US model 80.

Good luck,

David

4. peebles24

peebles24

I have a spare in white I believe it's a drivers side. I would sell it for a lot less than 200.00. I haven't had it apart but I believe it is in real good shape.

5. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

Did you retain the motorized adjustment? Or did this glue it in place?

6. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

If you don't mind checking for me to make sure it is a DS then shoot me a PM with a price. Thanks...

7. peebles24

peebles24

It is the drivers side hit me with a PM and tell me what it's worth I have know idea.

8. OZCAL

OZCAL

Everything stayed. Just glued it all in place, still had full range, IIRC.

Mine were broken by overeager carwash attendants :doh: . My fault.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.