not so stupid question...maybe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to find a mark on the block so that I can set the timing. Anyone know where I might find this mark? I was easy to see on every other car I have owned.

Thanks in advance!

its on the flywheel

Unlike most engines, your 2F has a little door covering an opening on the bellhousing. On the passenger side of US spec trucks, this window can be found at the rear of the engine facing forward on the transmission housing where it connects to the engine. There may be wires and cables in the way so move them aside and find a little metal door that is secured by a single 10mm bolt that when loosened a little, but not removed, will allow the window to slide towards the outside of the truck pivoting on the loosened bolt. Then, with a timing light attached and the engine running, you should be able to find a ball on the flywheel that lines up with a needle on the housing that is exposed by the door being opened. Either that or two little marks that look like : that indicate TDC. The ball in alignment with the needle indicates 7 degrees BTDC on my 3FE engine and I think that translates to the 2F as well.
Not a stupid question as we all have to start somewhere and it sounds as if you are trying to do some basic stuff on your own which is a good sign!

overhanger said:
Not a stupid question as we all have to start somewhere and it sounds as if you are trying to do some basic stuff on your own which is a good sign!

Thanks for the help. I like to think of myself as a real "do-it-yourself-er".

So far I have swaped out the 4 speed trany for a 5 speed, replaced all the belts, and now i have replaced the Carb (all this done in my inlaws driveway). Next is to re-build the transfer case.

Thanks again!

While I still have your attention...

I just swapped my carb out and now when I am sitting at a light with the AC on, it revs the motor. And I don't mean it holds the rpms up or anything like that. I mean it revs the motor like I am some dumbass on the strip wanting to race you. It just goes "vroom, vroom, vroom, vroom, vroom, vroom, vroom....." untill I either start going or turn of the AC.

I looked around this site for some answers before asking, but it seems that most of the AC problems are different than this.

Thanks again.

On the front of the carb is an adjustment screw that sets the "A/C idle" speed. This increases the idle when the A/C clutch engages. If this adjustment screw is set too high (too far screwed in), then the engine surges (at least mine did). Back the screw out to reduce the "A/C idle" speed. I have mine set so the idle goes from 700 rpm (normal idle) to about 1000 rpm.

Well that didn't do it. I backed the screw out little bit at a time to the point that it was not even touching the plate on the throtle rod (lame mans term) and it still revs the motor to about 1800 rpm's. so I went the other way with the screw to see if that would fix it, but no, all that did was change the overall idle speed too high.

So any other ideas folks?

Probably time to start looking at your AC equipment. Inside the cabin, on the passenger side, there's a little box on the front of the AC unit. There's a blue knob on top of that. It has something to do with raising the idle for the AC, too. I don't know more than that, sorry...

You can't fool us!! You just don't want to go inside that house with your INLAWS!!! Can't blam you. Good luck with the truch.

ok, now I am getting frustrated. I have tried the blue knob inside the cabin...nothing. What makes no sence to me is the fact that all I did was change the carb and now it does this! I will figue this out!

I did a search and found some interesting stuff about maybe it being the alternator. maybe I will try that.

one more question. Does anyone know why it is important that the idle raises when the A/C is turned on? I read on a post that this guy just disconected the vacume line that adjusts the idle speed and things seem to work fine. Maybe I could do that, unless any of you know why I shouldn't.

It still bothers me that it is not working the way it did before.

I was realy hoping that someone who knew, could chime in on the idea of leaving the vacume line disconected. Good thing, bad thing, or totaly inconsequential?

Despite spending a lot of $, my AC doesn't work...so keep that in mind...

I think the idle speed goes up when the AC is on to improve cooling. At lower idle speed, you won't get as much cooling effect.

Regarding the vacuum mod - give it a try and see what happens. It'll probably still run...if not you can switch it back. Doesn't sound like an experiment with an unrecoverable outccome.

did you get all of the vacuum lines reconnected to their correct places when you put the new carb on?

from the sounds of your description, my guess would be to suspect a vacuum related problem...

check your plumbing against the vacuum line routing diagram on your passenger fender inside the engine compartment. if the diagram is gone, the Toyota Emissions Manual has a great diagram or try the search function here as it has been posted a few times in the past...

hth,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom