Not so happy Turboglide 3b owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
Howdy!
I installed my Turbloglide kit on my 3b some weeks ago, and have been using it for a while. I turned up the diesel about a half turn.

• Everybody brags aboout the boost at low RPMs, but i dont get any before it revs up.

• I dont have a tacho, but my guestimation is that it starts around 2000 and peaks right over 3000.

• The max boost is hi enough, its about 0.9 bar, but thats all the way up in the high revs. And i dont need the power there, i want it from about 1000 rpm.

Do any of you guys with the Turboglide kit experience the same? I havent done anytihg to improve it yet, but i will try to turn up the diesel a bit more.

Howdy!
I installed my Turbloglide kit on my 3b some weeks ago, and have been using it for a while. I turned up the diesel about a half turn.

• Everybody brags aboout the boost at low RPMs, but i dont get any before it revs up.

• I dont have a tacho, but my guestimation is that it starts around 2000 and peaks right over 3000.

• The max boost is hi enough, its about 0.9 bar, but thats all the way up in the high revs. And i dont need the power there, i want it from about 1000 rpm.

Do any of you guys with the Turboglide kit experience the same? I havent done anytihg to improve it yet, but i will try to turn up the diesel a bit more.

What you describe is pretty much exactly what the manufacturer claims. With stock settings (not messing with the waste gate), you'll get 5psi around 2000rpm, and full boost (11psi) from 2600 to 3000rpm.

My 2H/turboglide does exactly that as well.

I doubt you'll burn enough fuel at 1k rpm to achieve full boost.

There is a thread in this section about modifying turbos to get more boost at lower rpm, but I am not sure there is a conclusion there.

cheers,
Jan

the only way to get more boost ( and powa coz boost it's useless if there is not enough fuel to produce powa ) it's put more diesel on it ..

I have a turboglide kit and that is about what i get, max boost around 2100-2200 if i recall.

Do you have stock exhaust? Did you check at highway speed if the max boost comes at lower rpm? Keep in mind boost will come lower in rpm when there is a load.

@ 1000rpm? doubt you find anything that will do that.

EDIT: get a tach.....don't guesstimate

Howdy!

So, how is this power delivery any different than a Denco or AXT kit? I ask because 2100 is nice highway cruising rpm and to be right in the boost window at cruising speeds would make for easy passing. Might not make for good towing but great midrange.

Oh, and a variable vane turbo like those used on modern diesels and gassers will get the boost rolling in faster. A buddy had one on his VW and it came into boost very quickly.

You will generally see the max boost follow the torque curve.

Fuel volume, timing, exhaust configuration, etc. will all affect when and how much boost you will get.

You need to have a pyrometer and a boost gauge installed as a bare minimum to tune the turbo.

Start talking EGTs with your numbers and get that turbo dialed in properly.

Do not for 1 second think that you're going to pound out 1 bar at 1000 rpm, it is not going to happen.

~John

My experience with the gt2052 is more boost at lower rpm than that. I get around 5 at 1500 and 8-10 (depending on my foot) at 2000. I can get 14-15 at 2800-3000.

This is psi on a 2B.

Thanks guys!
Im sorry i left a couple of things out.

• I built a 2,5" exhaust with flow a muffler.
• I have a EGT and Boost indicator.

I have a long steep hill i do my main testing in. When on max load in 4th gear i reach about 650 degrees C and the boost is then about 0,7 bar (this is after a while). Yep i know- if i give it more diesel this temp will probably rise, but then again maybe i dont have to run it that hard to get the speed up. And since i have a EGT i can adjust the temp with throttle.

I am aware of the physics behind the turbo, and im not looking for more boost, im looking for a earlier boost.

Im gonna give it a little more diesel, its a easy thing to do- i have allmost no black smoke now. I also have a regulator im gonna install, i dont think its gonna give me any good results but its worth a try.

Dont get me wrong, the Turbokit makes a big difference, but im not so impressed by the kit as i was hoping to be. I have a friend that installed a old Saab turbo on his 3b, it was even in a BJ75 and that made the boost come from about 1200RPM. That car felt pretty responsive compared to my 42.

And i must say i never liked the 3B, i have been driving these engines for years, they are durable, but they rackle alot, have no throttle response and sound dull :) Im planning to put a 12HT in my 42, but im not sure yet. I wanna see how good a 3B can get before i make my decision.

I know its possible to get boost from about 1000RPMs, but maybe i have to swap the turbo for that. Without comparison i have HDJ80 with a 1HDT that boosts 0,5 bar around 1000RPM when under load (its not the stock turbo)

Im installing ARBs, so i wont be able to do any testing right now, but when i do i will post my results.

• I have a EGT and Boost indicator.

Where is the thermo couple located? exhaust pipe after turbo or in the manifold? If in the manifold, i would say increase fuel...

And i must say i never liked the 3B, i have been driving these engines for years, they are durable, but they rackle alot, have no throttle response and sound dull Im planning to put a 12HT in my 42, but im not sure yet. I wanna see how good a 3B can get before i make my decision.

Sounds like you made a bad investment with the turbo kit....

Where is the thermo couple located? exhaust pipe after turbo or in the manifold? If in the manifold, i would say increase fuel...

Hi!
Its pre turbo. 650 Celsius, not Farenheit. Its the "limit" in heat here in Norway. I dont know why we decided for 650C, its just hearsay rule :) I could probally go for more fuel and heat. And its not very often i hit 650C.

The EGT

Turboglide 3B BJ42 by dieseldragon, on Flickr

I used to run my 3B without a turbo around 1350 and sometime flirt with 1400deg F.

If you only turned the fuel 1/2" from original position, i would say give it a other 1/2".

forced air
more fuel
less exhaust restriction
mmmmmmm
love it.

for every one out there that has a turbo, just disconnect that wast gate for a day and turn your fuel a couple turns. just try it. vroom vroom, not many people pass me, not even on mountain passes.

If your 3B rattles a lot, then you need to visit the valve rockers - check for wear where they contact the valve stem.

Also, check your timing carefully, and adjust it to the factory spec or perhaps +/- 1 degree to fine tune.

Lots of 3Bs run over 1400F from the factory it would seem. Try a little more fuel.

How high is your waste gate adjusted? Run the waste gate tighter - so that you see max boost at perhaps 16 PSI.

Lastly the AR of the hot side is probably on the large side to give the engine better highway performance. And there is not much you can do to get boost early if the AR is high - you can get better low end performance with a smaller AR, but your system will suffer at highway speeds.

~John

John,

Do you know the differences between the Denco kit and this Turboglide kit?

Specifically, no.

The Turbo Glide is using a Garrett Turbo, while the Denco kit is using a Schwitzer Turbo.

I don't have either one here to check the ARs.

~John

Specifically, no.

The Turbo Glide is using a Garrett Turbo, while the Denco kit is using a Schwitzer Turbo.

I don't have either one here to check the ARs.

~John

John did you know the Schwitzer turbo model ?

John did you know the Schwitzer turbo model ?

No, not off the top of my head.

The housing have Denco cast into them, so I suspect that they are custom for the applications.

~John

:cheers: I had a look at your Flickr page, beautiful cruiser! Love the paint, and the whole look of the truck.

Hi!
Its pre turbo. 650 Celsius, not Farenheit. Its the "limit" in heat here in Norway. I dont know why we decided for 650C, its just hearsay rule :) I could probally go for more fuel and heat. And its not very often i hit 650C.

The EGT

Turboglide 3B BJ42 by dieseldragon, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom