Not so happy Turboglide 3b owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok. so now i have fooled around with the inline pump. I have a spare engine, so i pulled of the pump and investigated a bit. It aint much to do with it except adding more fuel.. I thaught maybe the diaphragm was to slow, or maybe the total movement of the  diaphragm was not enogh. But diaphragm seems to do the job.

I put a video on Youtube you can watch- no info what so ever, but it may answer some questions some of you guys might have without pulling the pump out. At the end of the movie i run the engine with the pump opened :)
PopCorn : YouTube - ‪3B Inline fuel pump‬‏

So. I have now installed a TinyTach and a boost controller. I have tried alot of different fuel setting. Yesterday i tightened the boost controller so the WG was disabled and i jammed up the fuel alot, so much that i knew it was to much- alot of smoke! BUT it really came to life, pretty good for an old industrial engine. Of course there was alot of smoke and the EGT raised pretty quick. so i turned the fuel down again. Now i can se some smoke when rewing in neutral. I didnt have anyone behind me while driving, so i have no clue if it smokes while under turbopressure. Ill check that another day. Anyway, i have been tinkering around with the fuel screw so much im not sure how many turns i have. But if i compare it to the other pump i have im about 3 turns out. I watch the boost and EGT all the time so i feel pretty safe. Pre turbo EGT i stop at 650C and for boost i try to not go over 0.9 bar.

Results : yesterday i took a burnout on flat dry concrete, well calling it a burnout aint fair to the Americans. Anyway the result was 2 identical 12,5" wide 5 feet long black skid marks in my workshop. Thats with 35" Interco M16 tires and stock 4.11 gearing.

I guess thats it, ill install a Intercooler soon, that will help the EGTs in steep hills. I dont know if you can get any more power from a 3B so i guess im happy enough..

My biggest question now is. Has anyone tried to tweak the timing?im gonna try, but im not sure if it will give any good results. I know a friend of mine did it on a old 2.2 Toyota diesel once, he set the timing a bit earlier and he was a happy camper after that- but he tells alot of stories, so im not sure..

Please excuse my english, i know there is some typeOs and some strange sentences, but i think you guys can figure it out anyway :)

Good news you made the 3B come alive Håvard!

I installed an intercooler to my 1hd-ft last week. Maximum EGTs went down at least 75 degrees celcius, it really did help. I have now turned the fuel up some more, and the car is noticably stronger. EGTs are still acceptable even under maximum sustained load. Conclusion is, get an intercooler!

By the way, I love the background comments on the video. Lemming news :)

you have to dial the fuel in, i know a few guys that have installed turbos to complain about the performance.
with proper fuel injected you will get decent performance. you also need to install a turbo that will give you the results that you desire. a generic turbo will give you performance for decent highway improvement. a properly mapped turbo will give you performance where you want it.

i decided to install the turboglide on the troopie cause it increases the highway performance which is exactly the desire.
if i wanted low end performance i would have installed a turbo that winds up quicker with a lost of highway improvement.

you will never make a 3B perform like a 12HT. cubic inches ...

Do you know exactly how to increase the fuel? FYI it is not on the fuel pump...

Do you know exactly how to increase the fuel? FYI it is not on the fuel pump...

Yes since i have increased the fuel i guess i do know. I do it the same way everyone else does it wi the "total injection volume screw". If you have any other information on adding more fuel except changing injection nozzles please tell me :) (i do not have HAC or any kind of boost compensator).

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/274388-turning-up-fuel-3bt.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/305499-how-increase-fuel-3b.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/355585-adjusting-fuel-3b.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/320657-adjusting-fuel-3b.html

@eleblanc have you tried changing the timing?

@crushers. i dont know if you read my last post, but that is exactly what i have done- "dialed the fuel in".

By the way. At 1350 RPM i get about 0.45 bar of pressure and it increases from there (depending on load). Thats a number im happy with.

Last edited:
I would lower the boost to around 10psi max (to save the head) and then adjust fuelling to closer 750C peak.
Then you can use your foot to moderate EGT's at altitude and under sustained load while still getting better spoolup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom