Not so great economy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there's a search button, but after looking around I couldn't quite find any answers for me specifically. I have a 92 HDJ81, and I've had near everything gone over on the truck, yet I still seem to get a mere 500kms to a tank. It seems everyone is boasting WAY better numbers than me. The filters are all new, the truck doesn't smoke at all, doesn't even smell like fuel, yet my numbers are consistant. BTW I drive like a granny, rarely exceed 2000rpms, and never go over 100kmh...any help guys?
Thanx

I know there's a search button, but after looking around I couldn't quite find any answers for me specifically. I have a 92 HDJ81, and I've had near everything gone over on the truck, yet I still seem to get a mere 500kms to a tank. It seems everyone is boasting WAY better numbers than me. The filters are all new, the truck doesn't smoke at all, doesn't even smell like fuel, yet my numbers are consistant. BTW I drive like a granny, rarely exceed 2000rpms, and never go over 100kmh...any help guys?
Thanx

Exactly how much are you getting in liters/100klm? Some of the fuel economy figures posted on here are for highway miles and dont inlcude the tyoe of driving that chews the fuel.

I just got the truck a few weeks ago and I was curious myself about the fuel mileage. Glad you started this thread.

I only had the chance to fill it up twice. I kept a log of the results in an Excel sheet. Both fill-ups gave very similar numbers. Here are my figures in different units:
8.35 Km/Liter - 11.98 Liters/100Kms - 19.64 US MPG

Mostly 50% city driving (~ 60 km/h) and 50% freeway (~ 80 km/h) - Stock size tires, with 2" lift (I guess!)

I will keep track of numbers as I drive more and see if there are any differences with time/different fill stations/additives..etc

It would be interesting to see numbers from other trucks..

Ahmed

Last edited:
Thanx

Yup need to know how many litres it took for 500 kms.

The tank is 90 litres, have you taken it yet to 80 litres to fill? I know on my gasser 80 the tank looks empty when I get to 65-70 litres. Possibly the gauge is hitting E a long time before your out.

in reality it doesn't matter when you fill up but as BB says you need to know the km traveled and the amount of fuel it takes to fill.

100 km or 1000 km, in the end it is the amount PER SINGLE km that you are interested in...

IHere are my figures in different units:
Km/Liters: 8.35 - 11.98 Liters/100Kms - 19.64 US MPG

Mostly 50% city driving (~ 60 km/h) and 50% freeway

for 50/50 driving it sounds good to me.

8.35/100 is 33.83 mpg CAN
11,98/100 is 23.58 mpg CAN

so what is the problem?

His 8.35 is KMs to a litre. A bit confusing in the way it was written.

It the original poster who has a problem not this poster.

8.35/100 is 33.83 mpg CAN
11,98/100 is 23.58 mpg CAN
so what is the problem?

I never said there was a problem, I was just curious about figures from other vehicles.

Is there a Canadian MPG? what is the difference between it and US MPG?? I am guessing it uses British gallon (4.546 Liters) instead of the US gallon (3.785 Liters)

In my opinion, Imperial units (gallons, feet, ounces..etc) should be deleted from history..They serve no purpose but confuse people. Metric man.. Metric!! :)

Last edited:
agreed, metric is the way to play... we just need to get the US to agree.

usually a HDJ81 in stock/good running order will return about 25 mpg

To the OP, I understand your concern. After reading this forum, when I had an HDJ81, I became convinced there was something wrong with my truck. Keeping in mind I'm a numbers guy, I used calibrated GPS to determine my exact odometer conversion, and a long term average with consistent fill techniques to determine litres of fuel used. What I found was that many of the people who claim to be getting X number of km "per tank" had math errors in their mpg or l/100km conversions. For instance, not allowing for non stock tires, and so on. You need to determine your exact consumption by calibration of your odometer to either a known distance or using GPS. You then need to figure out exactly how much fuel it took to go that distance. A 1 tank figure is useless and subject to great fluctuation. Also, your driving conditions are relevant as well.

On my truck, I thought the fuel screw being turned up might make a difference, but once that was dealt with, it made no difference at all. I too lived in Abbotsford when I had the 81 so I believe our driving conditions to be quite similar.

I got a range of fuel consumption from a low of 10.91 l / 100km (25.89 miles per Imperial gallon) to a high of 18.64 l / 100 km (15.15 miles per Imperial gallon). My average was 13.48 l / 100 km (20.96 miles per Imperial gallon). Only under ideal circumstances are you going to get 25+ mpg. That usually means fairly long runs on level or near level ground at sane speeds. High RPM and short trips kill mileage on this truck.

500 km on a full tank does seem low, but it depends on when you are filling. If you mean when the low fuel light comes on, that's not going to be a "full" tank as that low fuel light is quite conservative on an HDJ81.

For a touch of sanity I got in touch directly with several Aussies and found that my fuel consumption is in line with those people I believed actually kept ACCURATE records.

There is quite a bit of exxageration on how amazing these trucks are on fuel and their abilities. I've read about people claiming to charge up the Coquihalla maintaing a true 120 kph up all the long hills, and still getting 25 mpg. Sorry but I just don't buy it. So do a little more analysis, get your real numbers, post them up and then let's see where you are at.

Remember that in B.C. living where you do, one way you run into heavy stop and go traffic, and the other way you run into mountains, which greatly increase fuel consumption. Once I got onto flat land, on the Island, I was able to get the fuel consumption figures that most think you should get all the time.

In short, there may well be nothing wrong with your truck.

Keep us posted.

Martin

Thanx guys, When I hit the 500km mark I am pretty low on fuel, and it will take me almost exactly 75 litres everytime to fill her back up....sorry my math is crap, can't do the figures lol

Do those numbers help?

I got a range of fuel consumption from a low of 10.91 l / 100km (25.89 miles per Imperial gallon) to a high of 18.64 l / 100 km (15.15 miles per Imperial gallon). My average was 13.48 l / 100 km (20.96 miles per Imperial gallon). Only under ideal circumstances are you going to get 25+ mpg. That usually means fairly long runs on level or near level ground at sane speeds. High RPM and short trips kill mileage on this truck.

For a touch of sanity I got in touch directly with several Aussies and found that my fuel consumption is in line with those people I believed actually kept ACCURATE records.

There is quite a bit of exxageration on how amazing these trucks are on fuel and their abilities. I've read about people claiming to charge up the Coquihalla maintaing a true 120 kph up all the long hills, and still getting 25 mpg. Sorry but I just don't buy it. So do a little more analysis, get your real numbers, post them up and then let's see where you are at.

Martin

Good post. Those figures are in line with HDJ80 owners I know.They are farmers and business owners who use their cruiser for work and need to know what their business expenses are for tax purposes

Last edited:
Thanx guys, When I hit the 500km mark I am pretty low on fuel, and it will take me almost exactly 75 litres everytime to fill her back up....sorry my math is crap, can't do the figures lol

Do those numbers help?

My way of working it out is 75 litres divided by 5(5=500klms,if it was 565klms it would be 5.65) = 15 or 15l/100klm
So you are only a litre or so above normal and if you use exact figures it may improve.
Big tyres ,bullbars effect the consumption.
Has it had a injector servce at 100000klms?

Thanx guys, When I hit the 500km mark I am pretty low on fuel, and it will take me almost exactly 75 litres everytime to fill her back up....sorry my math is ****, can't do the figures lol

Do those numbers help?

O.K.. Last time I filled, I put 69 liters and had 575 Km on the trip meter from the last fill up... So, yours takes a tad more fuel..

O.K.. Last time I filled, I put 69 liters and had 575 Km on the trip meter from the last fill up...
That's the easiest way to accurately compute fuel economy, assuming you have stock tires and wheels.
Fill up to the same point in the filler neck every time, record the litres and the trip meter km, then zero the meter.

original example = 75L / 500km = 15 L/100 km

example above = 69L / 575km = 12 L/100 km

my last fill up = 48.5L / 479km = 10.1 L/100km = 23.2 MPG = 27.8 MPIG
This is average for my truck in mixed city/highway ~50:50 driving <100kph.

Flex, do you have stock tires on your HDJ or larger than stock? What size are they exactly? If larger than stock, you are going further than you think you are. Post up your tire size and we can figure it out. In my experience VERY few HDJ's come from Japan in stock tire size.

I'm just going by what I've seen on the West Coast and at Ateb, where I saw almost everything Outback brought over for about a year. Not one of those trucks had stock tires on them. Must be different suppliers fitting new tires? Actually at least half the tires looked used, as if they'd been on the truck for some time.

Last edited:
Make sure your calipers aren't dragging.

Tires are 185/75/16's so a tad bigger than stock, and the brakes are not dragging at all. Have not yet serviced the injectors.
Thanx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom