Not registering miles correctly on ODO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So not to long ago did my lift and of course picked up bigger tires. Went from a 285/75/16 Geolanders to new 315/75/16 Duratracs.

Now I know the milage will be off because of the larger tire, BUT I'm barely registering any mileage.

Drove about 80 miles round trip to visit my dad and the trip odometer AND "overal" odometer registered 5 miles.

I know that can't be right .... what am I missing here or should be checking ?

No, it didn't do this before the tire swap.

*edit* PS. I did do the HG recently and now my speedometer "flickers" or is dead on 0 while driving. I think I forgot a ground under the intake manifold which I'll figure out later. Don't know if it could be related but there ya go.

Anyone ?

Pretty sure the speedometer and the odometer are driven mechanically. The speedo cable is driven by a gear off the T-case. You could have a bad speedo cable. I'm not familiar with the speedo cable on the 80 but on 2nd gen 4runners the bouncing speedo is a sign of a bad cable.

Not sure about the '94, but my '96 has the electronic VSS. It is on the DS rear side of the trans and perhaps has a loose wire/junk in the connector. Check to be sure that it is clean, and perhaps test per the FSM, as it may be toast. Have you had the dash cluster out recently? If so, it could also be one of the connections in the back which is corroded, or not fully pressed-in.

:cheers:

Steve

P.S. If yours is elecronic, you may wish to either have a shop build an electronic conversion box or use the Marks adapter, as that has worked excellent with my rig...99% accurate as compared to the GPS signal.

Thanks for the info guys & thanks Steve for the adapter lead .. I'll be checking that out. I've been using GPS.

After work (12 hours later), I'll be getting under there and checking it out.

Ive been having the issue. Upon everyone's advice I was going to remove the speedo pickup at the transfer case and clean it( several people posted me even thought it spun freely clean it and t will work again) However mine seemed to have corroded into the case pretty bad. So by the time I got it out, it was destroyed. So I have a new one on order from Beno. If you look up my recent post on it there are some picks of it. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom