Not-quite-RTH: Good downstream O2 sensor readings? '96 FZJ80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm having a heck of a time troubleshooting an issue keeping my 96 FZJ80 from passing smog, and I'm hoping the braintrust on Mud can help me out with some diagnostic data.

Does anyone have a graph showing good downstream O2 sensor data (at temp), preferably both idle and up in the 2k+ rpm range?

I'm not sure if I should be seeing a steady wave or a fixed stable value (around or above?) 450mV. If it's a wave, should it be crossing the 450mV mark, by how much, and how often?

I'm seeing a somewhat steady wave between ~375-525mV, cycling about once per second.
My upstream O2 is outputting a similar frequency, but of course it's got a higher amplitude, at ~200-800mV.

Reading around online about the narrow band sensors, it seems the downstream is supposed to cross the 450mV mark once per second, or maybe 3 times per second, or maybe never and just float above it around 600mV. I honestly don't know how to verify which is correct without someone with a working system confirming.

I'm not looking for a complete solution yet - just some data to help me diagnose further. If anyone can help, I'd really, really appreciate it. I've got a trip coming up in a couple days and I really need this sucker to have passed the smog test before I leave.

As a side note, I'm in California, so all CARB compliant parts (like a new pair of cats) are plenty expensive.

Example of what I'm seeing currently, at 50-ish mph

Screenshot_20190508_150019_org.prowl.torque.jpg

At this point an O2 sim is looking really appealing, but even with that I'd need to know what a good downstream waveform should look like. Arrgh

I'm hoping someone happens to have (or can snag from their working FZJ) the info

Shameless self-bump as I'm running out of time and getting more desperate. Anyone willing/able to advise? I sure could use the help.

I just bought an installed header with cat and second cat from Magnaflow that was CARB compliant from O'Reilly's auto parts...about $900+...runs like a champ now and no smog worries ;)

How many miles on your 80 series?...Have you replaced O2 sensors?

First I'm New to IH8MUD, real glad to be joining up. Im glad to hav found this thread as I am contemplating purchasing '96-'97 FJ80 type of rig and looking out side CA...anyone deal with that scenario? I figure if you're reading this CA smog thread you might have experience bringing in an out of state FJ80...btw the New header tip sounds encouraging!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom