Not Motivating Well in 4lo: is this normal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I always hear a click and see the diff lock light come on. Are the center diff locks known to not actually engage despite all this, maybe when they haven't been used in a while?
Thanks for taking the time & hassel to do the video. From what I can tell looking at the tach & speedometer, it looks normal. This is the power mode shifting pattern, but what seems like a firmer shift is because of the gear reduction. Snaps your head back if you're not paying attention and you have good traction. Or 80 series off road life with an auto tranny. I'd love to drive a manual 80 with all else being equal! Goes back to the saying: If you want it done right, you got to do it yourself...lol.

Edit: And also, the CDL light will ONLY light when the CDL is LOCKED. If not lit, either the bulb is burnt out or there's a problem - sticky solenoid, fuse, bad electrical connection.

Thanks for taking the time & hassel to do the video. From what I can tell looking at the tach & speedometer, it looks normal. This is the power mode shifting pattern, but what seems like a firmer shift is because of the gear reduction. Snaps your head back if you're not paying attention and you have good traction. Or 80 series off road life with an auto tranny. I'd love to drive a manual 80 with all else being equal! Goes back to the saying: If you want it done right, you got to do it yourself...lol.
Yes I would switch to an h151f if it weren't so expensive. Unfortunately the 80 series was marketed to soccer moms and business tycoons here in the states so they never bothered to offer a manual.

Just to be clear, the trans will still shift gears even when locked into 2 or L? I couldn't tell if it was actually shifting gears, or just slowly building up fluid pressure or spooling the torque converter.

Yes I would switch to an h151f if it weren't so expensive. Unfortunately the 80 series was marketed to soccer moms and business tycoons here in the states so they never bothered to offer a manual.

Just to be clear, the trans will still shift gears even when locked into 2 or L? I couldn't tell if it was actually shifting gears, or just slowly building up fluid pressure or spooling the torque converter.
I'm speaking from my '94, which does not have "2nd gear start". If in lo range and you have shifter in 1 or L, tranny should not shift at all. If tranny is in 2, it will shift once - into 2nd. If you take your foot off accelerator for even an instant, it will drop back into 1st and the shifting process will start all over again. That's how sensitive my tranny is.

I'm speaking from my '94, which does not have "2nd gear start". If in lo range and you have shifter in 1 or L, tranny should not shift at all. If tranny is in 2, it will shift once - into 2nd. If you take your foot off accelerator for even an instant, it will drop back into 1st and the shifting process will start all over again. That's how sensitive my tranny is.
IIRC it would still do this hesitation in L, or 1st gear. I've heard that the A442 is more decisive than the newer transmissions.

IIRC it would still do this hesitation in L, or 1st gear. I've heard that the A442 is more decisive than the newer transmissions.
Hmmm, could be. The performance is really dependant to the terrain you're on. For example, on a steep downhill, if I have tranny in 2 and relying on engine compression for braking, it will almost always require me to manually select 1or L to get best braking. So the hesitation you're referring to might be also checked on a steep downhill slope. I'd be curious to try that just to see if there's any slop or drive train issues.

Hmmm, could be. The performance is really dependant to the terrain you're on. For example, on a steep downhill, if I have tranny in 2 and relying on engine compression for braking, it will almost always require me to manually select 1or L to get best braking. So the hesitation you're referring to might be also checked on a steep downhill slope. I'd be curious to try that just to see if there's any slop or drive train issues.
I did notice good engine compression downhill in L, way better than in 2 but still not as good as my 5 speed Tacoma

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom