For Sale not mine suwanee ga lx 450,craigslist ad (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I called about this and plan to go see it. One thing I found is the title is still in the previous owners name but has been signed. I think the term he used was "open" but I've read about these skipped titles and it could be an issue for a number of reasons. Anyone else dealt with this?

From what I've seen, "open" titles are done by private party resellers so they don't have to pay any taxes/fees associated with transferring the vehicle to their name. I bought my last 4Runner that way but it was notarized and all that it required was my signature. If you run into any trouble, you may need to get in touch with that previous owner so there's definitely some risk - but I think it's minimal

Last edited:
While I haven't run into this particular issue, I've had a LOT of problems in Nebraska if the title isn't exactly right. Find out what your state requires (notary etc). If it's already signed you may want to see if your state requires a bill of sale, and if so would it matter if the BOS is signed by someone besides the title signatory (probably). Don't take the sellers word on any of this. Once they have the money they're usually done being helpful.

He did it to avoid the title tax I'm in GA too and as long as there aren't any back taxes you will be fine. The tax will be determined by the VIN Can't avoid it in GA anymore. GA doesn't require it to be notarized. Just make sure it is signed exactly as it is on the front as far as the name.

I called about this and plan to go see it. One thing I found is the title is still in the previous owners name but has been signed. I think the term he used was "open" but I've read about these skipped titles and it could be an issue for a number of reasons. Anyone else dealt with this?
let us know what you find out about this vehicle,i sent them an email and never got a response,suwanee isn't far and i wanted to check it out.

Also in Atlanta, a little more mileage and $ but the paint looks perfect and it has new leather

I like the Black one. I would have snapped it up when i was in the market.

get the VIN and run a CARFAX on it,regardless it is still a misdemeanor on both parties to title jump and i know it happens frequently to avoid the fee's.if your strongly interested see what prior paperwork he has,bill of sale?you can always get a bonded title for it/

Same guy had both vehicles. I called about the black one for kicks, but decided to pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom