craigslist Not Mine- Colorado Springs Craigslist Toyota Megacruiser 29.5K (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

favorite

hide

flag
Posted a day ago
print
Toyota MegaCruiser - $29,500 (Colorado Springs)
image 1 of 12

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
3133.png
3134.png
3133.png
3133.png
3134.png
3134.png

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
2001 Toyota BXD-10 Mega Cruiser
condition: excellent
cylinders: 4 cylinders
drive: 4wd
fuel: diesel
odometer: 42600
paint color: blue
size: full-size
title status: clean
transmission: automatic
type: SUV
All --

I have for sale a 2001 Toyota BXD-10 Mega Cruiser Landcruiser, Vin BXD100002694. This vehicle comes with a four speed automatic transmission with overdrive. This vehicle has a current registration / inspection in PA. This is an ex-Japanese Self-Defense Force vehicle with just 42,600 miles. The Toyota BXD-10 Mega Cruiser Landcruiser has the 4.1L 15B-FTE Toyota turbo-diesel engine, the workhorse engine of the Toyota Coaster bus line. The 4.1L 15B-FTE is a 4 cylinder, sixteen valve, OHV, electronic direct injection, intercooled turbo-diesel engine. Unlike its US "equivalent," the 15B does not suffer from reliability issues. Moreover, most maintenance parts for the 15B are readily available here in the US and the engine gets 14+ MPG. You can find a more complete history of the BXD-10 here:

Compared to it's closest competitor -- the M998 HMMWV "Humvee":

• The Mega Cruiser is lighter
• The Mega Cruiser has better ground clearance
• The Mega Cruiser (like the HMMWV) has Portal Axles – which puts it in very rare company
• The Mega Cruiser has 4-Wheel Steering and an AMAZING turning radius
• The Mega Cruiser has Limited Slip Differential
• The Mega Cruiser has Front, Center and Rear Locking Differential
• The Mega Cruiser has inboard ventilated disk brakes and an exhaust brake
• The Mega Cruiser has Onboard Air and an automatic (inflate / deflate) Central Tire Pressure System
• The Mega Cruiser has Trailer Air Lines

At the end of the day, the Toyota BXD-10 Mega Cruiser Landcruiser has been around since 1951 and is know for its extreme reliability. There is no other vehicle like the BXD-10. Less than 150 were originally sold to the public, so you will be in extremely rare company.

This particular example was stripped down to bare metal and all body work -- metal replacement where necessary (w/no bondo) and dent removal -- was completed at a local body shop. The vehicle was repainted Toyota Calvary Blue. While not perfect, the results are very good. This vehicle comes with its original rear bench seats, rear doors and full-cover canopy hardware (it is a troop-carrier) and a new custom 1/2 top that makes it look more like a very large pickup than a troop carrier. All mechanicals are in working order and up to specifications. We have fitted custom 17" rims -- made from the original rims -- to replace 17.5" that came with the vehicle, as tires for 17.5" rims are impossible to come by. The vehicle comes with a new set of 37 x 12.5 x R17 Yokohama Geolander M/Ts.

A few things to remember:

• This vehicle is not / not eligible for registration in CA, as it would be too difficult / prohibitively expensive to retrofit the engine to meet California smog regulations.
• This vehicle is not for the faint of heart, as it will literally climb a wall.
• This vehicle is for someone that wants to go anywhere!
• I doubt that you could take this vehicle to your local Toyota dealer for work, so most buyers should expect to be able to do a lot of their own work -- or have a mechanic on standby.
• Parts for the Mega Cruiser are available at shops like: Genuine Mega Cruiser BXD20V OEM parts supplied from Japan - Nengun Performance

I will be posting pictures shortly. Please call with any questions.

$29,500.

John
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 7209963764

posted: a day ago

updated: a day ago

email to friend

♥ best of [?]
Avoid scams, deal locally Beware wiring (e.g. Western Union), cashier checks, money orders, shipping.

Yep

Yep x2

Super cool. Unfortunately these don’t qualify under “Show or Display” NHTSA exemptions, so to be federally legal, it needs to be 25+ years to be imported into the US.

It juuust makes the cutoff for the EPA 20 year exemption so you’re good on that, and as long as you have a title, you can theoretically have it registered in most states and be “state legal” (except Cali, they’ll spot a gray/black market vehicle from a mile away and tip off CBP to come seize it). But it’s definitely a gray market vehicle. Only a few ways it could’ve gotten over here

1. Shipped to Canada (they only have a 15 year law on imported vehicles) then driven across the border

2. Shipped over as something else and didn’t happen to be one of the less than 5% of shipping containers customs actually checks

3. Given that it’s a frame up resto, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that engine and body were shipped in separate shipping containers as “car parts” and made it into the country

4. Like some Nissan Skylines (that aren’t 25 year legal) he signed a disclaimer agreeing to use it STRICTLY for off-road use (4 wheeling, track racing, etc) in which case the vin would be blacklisted and you wouldn’t be able to register it in the US as a road vehicle

No one should send money for this one. fairly sure its a scam

No one should send money for this one. fairly sure its a scam
I don’t think it’s a scam, I think he’s legitimately trying to sell it. And for good reason, he doesn’t want to get caught with it. What I do think however is, it’s 100% a black market vehicle (imported in violation of the 25 year law, and does not qualify for the show or display exemption). I’m not sure how he smuggled it into the US, but I’m 100% sure he doesn’t have the proper documentation from customs.

Buying this is a total gamble.
Option 1: you purchase it, register it in a state like Vermont that doesn’t pay attention to the legality of the vehicle (which is probably what the guy trying to sell it did…Vermont will issue a title with nothing more than a bill of sale) and you have a cool truck that you have to worry about having seized any time you drive it in public

Option 2: you try to register it in a state like California who immediately sees the 9-12 digit vin (as opposed to a USDM 17 digit vin). They notice the discrepancy and ask you for the importation paperwork. You don’t have it because it was imported illegally. They seize the existing title and contact Customs. Customs seizes your vehicle and possibly criminally charges you and your vehicle ends up in a USMS auction for export only to a non-contiguous country like this

I don’t think it’s a scam, I think he’s legitimately trying to sell it. And for good reason, he doesn’t want to get caught with it. What I do think however is, it’s 100% a black market vehicle (imported in violation of the 25 year law, and does not qualify for the show or display exemption). I’m not sure how he smuggled it into the US, but I’m 100% sure he doesn’t have the proper documentation from customs.

Buying this is a total gamble.
Option 1: you purchase it, register it in a state like Vermont that doesn’t pay attention to the legality of the vehicle (which is probably what the guy trying to sell it did…Vermont will issue a title with nothing more than a bill of sale) and you have a cool truck that you have to worry about having seized any time you drive it in public

Option 2: you try to register it in a state like California who immediately sees the 9-12 digit vin (as opposed to a USDM 17 digit vin). They notice the discrepancy and ask you for the importation paperwork. You don’t have it because it was imported illegally. They seize the existing title and contact Customs. Customs seizes your vehicle and possibly criminally charges you and your vehicle ends up in a USMS auction for export only to a non-contiguous country like this

You’re right. I just did the cliff notes version haha

It would be a bad deal for someone unless it ends up in a private ranch or never driven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom