Not long weekend trip, few weeks earlier

Discussion in 'CA.BC- Peace Canyon Toyota Swamp Donkeys' started by Deny, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Deny

Deny

Hi all, Time for another Trip report.

This weekend (few weeks ago) started off as a bit of a downer, as Jason blew his engine and couldn’t go, a lot of other guys bailed last minute, and because Kim had steering issues, we decided to leave Tumbler Ridge exploring for another weekend and go close to home. You know what that means! More MUD! We decided to go to the trail we did last time (the dry quad rut one, ‘cept it was a lot more muddy this time) and actually keep going past the look out and camp at Stuart Lake.

Charla was a go, last minute, as usual (the change of plans sort of messed them around though) and decided to meet us at the trail head around 7:00 Friday night. We were going to head out at 6:30 but it turned out to be around 7 due to Kim’s awesome packing skillz. It didn’t matter, because Charla, Haley, and Prado didn’t meet us till well after 7 anyway, but it gave Kim, his wife Jody, and I some time to down a few beer.

We started out on the trail, and 100m down the trail and Kim was stuck on the side of a large mud hole! Whoo hoo, I wasn’t first stuck. Winch. The cruisers had no trouble, as the narrower wheelbase allowed us to just squeeze by with out falling in. We bypassed a few mud holes and came upon the large hill climb that we had no trouble on a few weeks earlier, but a different story today. Even Kim’s new super swampers were just skating on top of the mud, so out came the winch, twice. My turn. I was having the same issues, but this time Kim came down and helped push my truck up the first tough climb (according to Kim, it was all him!). I needed to winch up the second part. Both Kim and I helped push Orange up the first part, but again, we needed the winch on the second part. However, some how Charla’s winch wasn’t working, so I got out my old pulley (and I mean old!) and winched. Charla had some trouble up the last part, and ended up sliding down into a tree, so we hooked up two straps and I pulled her out of her predicament. (I think she actually drove out herself, because I swear my tires were just spinning helplessly). Now it was getting pretty late (~10:00), but still quite light, so we decided to camp at the next river crossing, which was a really nice spot, but only maybe 1 km into the trail! (so much for getting to the lake). I got stuck a few metres from the camping spot, as I almost dumped my junk into a mud hole I was trying to avoid. Charla almost got stuck in the same spot, but by hammering it, she managed to back out and take the mud hole head on with some speed to get through.

We had a fire and while most went to bed quite early, Kim and I heard loud revving at 3 in the morning, and because we were quite close to the town of Taylor we assumed it was local dummies doing burnouts in town. Apparently Bronco Jeff, got off work at 11:00 and decided to catch up to us, only to get stuck in a big mud hole just before the hill, but not before pounding on the poor V8 till he dug himself to China with his boggers. Thinking we were far down the trail, he drank beer till he fell asleep and slept at an angle in his stuck truck till the morning when Bill in a dual locked Jeep drove by. Bill couldn’t winch him out, so they continued to catch up to us. We came back and I pulled out the old pulley and winch again, and we dragged the big bronco through the mud hole, so he could take the bypass around the rest of the mud holes. Now we were on our way. Things went pretty smoothly except for overheating problems with the bronco, which caused us to stop quite regularly.

After the lookout where we turned around last day, they said it would be easy. Wrong. At the first big mud hole, The Jeep and two cruisers tiptoed around the bog through a tight quad trail. Full-size trucks had to go through. Kim went first, and dove in burying one side of his truck. Stuck. Jeff tried the other side, only to get stuck against the side of a tree. So Bill decided to drive in to get Kim, but found himself stuck as well. Man, 3 trucks stuck in one mud hole, sort of reminds me of Stave. AHHH the good old days! Anyway, the Cruisers went to the rescue, as Charla pulled out Jeff, I gave the Jeep a tug, and well, Kim was just too buried, so he had to winch himself out. He was in so deep, Jody had her feet on the dash, as to keep them dry!

We continued up, and we all took a quad trail bypass around a deep quad rut, but Kim got stuck as he thought he could straddle the ruts, and fell in, so I had to give him a tug. We kept going, and Jeff also got stuck in quad ruts, but managed to back out. As I was backing up to take the quad trail bypass, I tried turning early, only to have my drivers side rear tire fall into a rut, and my front passenger tire climb high into the air! Roll Over, almost anyway, according to both Jeff who was ahead, and Charla who was behind. I swear my heart jumped out of my chest. I needed a tug back from Charla to get me out of the situation, as Jeff stood on my passenger side rock sliders.

Man, I didn’t realize this was such an action packed weekend, I’m getting tired of writing, so I’ll just do some quick recaps before this turns into a novel.

No problems the rest of the way, except trying to pull a log off the trail, a branch that Kim was pulling on snapped which let Kim fly back a few feet and land on his back side, all that saw this had a good laugh. A few more mud holes, a winch by Kim, a tug from me for Charla, a tug from Charla for Jeff, and we made it to the main road to Stuart Lake. Some more mud holes on the actual road, one where Kim broke his transmission (but managed to drive home with a little, as Kim says, Jim Shimming it), Jeff got stuck, and Charla caught some air. Finally made it to the lake, and Jeff and I went for a swim, after Kim kept going off about the leaches, but then everyone called us pansies so we had to go in (You suckas didn’t even go in and you were calling us names!) Then Charla, Haley, and Prado went home and the rest camped. In the middle of the night, a chase strait out of a Dukes of Hazard episode went by the fire, as an Oil company night watchman was chasing two trucks that were climbing around on the equipment. Had a chat with the old guy, as he lost them in the bush that was too tight for his big Cummins Diesel. Then as we went to sleep, Kim belted out the loudest YEE HAW I have ever heard, enough to scare any local bears away for miles.

Morning came, and it started raining so we quickly packed up and took off.

The Moral of the story is that although Boggers are good in mud, when in tight trees, you can slide sideways, and like Jeff, take out all your glass, both mirrors, and much of the body panels and trim in a full sized bronco. Poor guy sure put a beating on that thing, and had the worst luck, but never backed down from a good mud hole, and we were all amazed at his up beat attitude even though so many things were going wrong.
    Keep on Wheeling!
    Cheers,
    Deny

2. Deny

Deny

Kim stuck in first hole, doing some winching
    Kim in first hole.JPG

3. Deny

Deny

Charla, needing a tug when resting her tire carrier on a tree
    Charla resting on tree.JPG

4. Deny

Deny

Me, almost flopping into a mudhole and needing a tug to get out
    me almost flopping.JPG

5. Deny

Deny

Kim and Jeff stuck
    Kim and Jeff stuck.JPG

6. Deny

Deny

Finally, three trucks stuck in one mudhole, Stave lake style!
    Three trucks stuck.JPG

7. crawlin cruiser

crawlin cruiser

get a locker :p

8. Deny

Deny

A locker is coming! By the end of the summer I should be able to keep up to you and your mall wagon! ;p

9. jfc

jfc

DId you try the chains in the mud yet,

and

"I got out my old pulley (and I mean old!)"

I think you mean dad's old pully, sucka :flipoff2:

10. Deny

Deny

No chains in mud yet, it's not that bad, I only got stuck in the mud once that trip, and there are always trees or other trucks to pull me out, but I am getting some super swamper LTB's soon.

11. Ratpuke

Ratpuke SILVER Star

When are you getting them? Is a road trip in order? You should've let me know and I could've picked them up yesterday. BTW, Nurse Edna is en route to Red Deer so she won't be able to crate them back for you.

12. 1FE pig

1FE pig

Nice pit ;p It was dry in wenatchee :crybaby: But i did score some good 45-55 stuff at TLC dave's on the way home. Cheers,Rob

13. Deny

Deny

Charla,
    I sent money, now when he gets it, he will send tires on Grey Hound. And who is nurse Edna?

Rob,
    where is wenatchee? and did you do any wheeling there?

Cheers,
    Deny

14. Ratpuke

Ratpuke SILVER Star

My trailer.

15. 1FE pig

1FE pig

Deny,Eastern Washington. Drinking,Boating,Wheeling,Great long weekend plus 3 days.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.