Not enough power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you guys ever feel like you just do not have enough power? On the trails today i just wish there was more power to spin the wheels. Granted i am on 35s with stock gearing.

Nope, even got a third gear chirp of all 4 on the dry street :p

Do you guys ever feel like you just do not have enough power? On the trails today i just wish there was more power to spin the wheels. Granted i am on 35s with stock gearing.

With the exception of 'mud' spinning your wheels generally means loss of traction. If you just want to spin your wheels....get a HellCat.

Ls time

I can only say that I've only needed more power in the mountains, passing, or just general traffic. Even then, I haven't done anything about it because it's not that bad and trying to stop a 6k lb truck on stock brakes leaves a little to be desired for (when compared to any new vehicle).

On the trail, the gearing could use a little help but I don't think "more power" is needed. Changing the gearing in the differentials or transfer case can cover a multitude of sins. That, and the overhangs, are what keeps this thing from doing the gnarliest of trails. Like @flintknapper said, spinning tires generally is a loss of traction. Adding power only worsens that but if you can harness the power you have through gearing, you'll be better off. Better gearing means better crawling and, generally, better traction.

I'd probably start with gearing and read up on that to see if it will solve your issues.

Also, if you're running high speed stuff (desert and the like) then you're probably in the wrong vehicle.

Jack

You can’t spin your wheels??? I’ve been spinning mine ever since I got my 80.... Welcome to your new world :flipoff2:

Low range not enough?

cheers,
george.

Low range not enough?

cheers,
george.

Kinda what I was wondering.

I have trouble NOT spinning the tires when it makes that 1-2 shift in low range. ;)

It might be the OP just wants more power (overall) to 'turn' the tires and chose his words poorly. IDK

I will say no
4129D58C-A3E8-467F-AFC8-21D9116C7E3B.jpeg

And no
2C11329E-9192-4A5D-99C8-C41D457F6E40.jpeg

Climbing long steep highway grades (or wanting to come up a gear on a long and very steep off road hill climb), towing, trying to accelerate approaching a creek bank in hood deep water... these are all times that you will feel the need for more power in an '80 with stock gears and 35 inch tires.

Occasionally deep boggy mud can present you with situation where you need wheel speed, but without sufficient engine grunt you can not push a high enough gear to achieve that speed. But an '80 has decent power so on anything less than bogger or ag tires you do not often encounter that combination of deep and sticky mud where you also get enough traction to lug the engine down..

Most appropriate answer is proper gearing. Tires and gears go hand in hand no matter how much power you have.

Mark...

How about the sand dunes?

Don't know. Never played in any serious dunes myself. ;)

Mark...

I regularly wish for more power. On the road (all the time), offroad in sand, mud, and snow. Just cruising around in the desert, I mostly wish for better fuel economy. :D

Does it do fine, and get the job done? Definitely. Does it feel like I'm flogging it to get the job done? For sure.

As others have noted, gearing will help. I have 33s, and the stock gearing was pretty sucky when towing. I installed 4.56 gears, and I’m a happy camper. I’d recommend 4.88s for you with 35s.

When I want speed, agility or both, I’ll get on the bike.

How about the sand dunes?

For me after trail and error sand dunes with 80 conditions are:
1. reduce your air pressure in the tiers to 8-10 (cooper STT Pro 33'' ) psi this is critical
2. CDL on
3. trans in Low + 4.56 reduction
4. Gear in Drive with overdrive off
5. front and rear diff locks OFF!!!

and weeeeehhhee it flays the problem is that some dunes are a knife and then you flay with the brides and when you hit the ground you can breake something

dune.jpeg

Yep I sure did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom