Not another LS swap... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What is Overloading?

It's the level right before Overlording.

I'd look at trying to get ALL the information I could from the shop that rebuilt it and what "rebuilt" means.

Could just mean a headgasket and some hoses, or it could mean new bearing, pistons, crank grinds, all seals, machine shop work etc. (which you are looking $5k plus on a 1FZ rebuild)

That may help decide if you want to keep this or swap for an LS. As others have said, a turbo kit is coming soon and will be LOADS cheaper and easier than an LS swap...and you get quite the bump in power.

EDIT: @inkpot said everything I typed...before me...so.. :D

You may have a hard time getting it smog'ged. If you have a way around that, cool...don't tell me I don't want to know. I called the Ref telephone line to inquire about LS swapping my 94 and was told no, because of the emissions tier that 80 series land cruisers fall into, there was no corresponding GM truck that had an LS in it. I think I got a bum ref, because there are 5.3 engines in Trailblazers, rare though. You could put a car LS in there, L76, L99, LS3 or a Gen III LS1, LS2, LS6 BUT you have to put the UNMODIFIED exhaust in there at least through the second set of O2 sensors. This makes packaging and dealing with a front drive shaft difficult. Some Refs are also going with UNMODIFIED transmission rules as well so this could be the 343 you have, or whatever was attached to the LS motor you pick. I personally don't see the point of putting a 4LXX transmission in when 6L80s exist and have much better gearing, but ONLY work with a Gen IV or V LS or LT type motor. I'm looking at the LFX V6 out of a Camaro as a possible swap for my 80, but the 1FZ is still ticking along. Here's my cost planning for doing a V8 swap, start here and then watch the costs go up when you add in nicer fans, trick accessory drives or what not.

Gen IVCOSTGen VCOST
ENGINELC9 Iron/Aluminum 5.3L 300/330 w/4L60$4,500LFX V6 2012 Camaro w/6L80$5,000
GMPP swap pan$250Reuse stock pan?$0
Stainless elbows, pipe and Y$300Stainless elbows, pipe and Y$300
Stainless 2.5" muffler$200Stainless 2.5" muffler$200
2 -band clamps for exhaust$1002 -band clamps for exhaust$100
Dirty Dingo motor mounts or AA$160Dirty Dingo motor mounts $160
LC9 upper and lower hoses + spares$30TBD coolant hoses (back of block?)$50
Plug to tap for stock H2O sensor$10Plug to tap for stock H2O sensor$10
Plug to tap for stock Oil sensor$10Plug to tap for stock Oil sensor$10
LS3 Oil Pump, MLS gaskets, head bolts$150Gates K061115 belt$15
Set of 16 new lifters$80
Set of lifter trays$50
Ls3 camshaft and timing set$200
L20 valley Cover$0
TRANSMISSION4L60 Rebuild$1,0006L80E 4WD Rebuild$1,000
AA or Marks Adapter$1,500Marks Adapter$1,700
TC seals, rebuild?$200TC seals, rebuild?$200
AN6 to hose adapters, stock hose$30AN6 to push hose adapters, stock hose$30
Cooler line block$100Cooler line block$100
Fluid fill$50Fluid fill$50
Silv stock rubber mount$30Silv stock rubber mount$30
ACCESSORIESStock PS pump$0Stock PS pump$0
AC fittings for GM compressor$1006AN fittings x2$20
Intake silicone elbow$15Remote PS reservoir$50
Intake tube for MAF$0AC fittings for GM compressor$100
Silicone tube to cleaner $15New braided hose 1 $60
M16 adapters -6 pump and box$40Intake silicone elbow$15
6AN braided pressure hose$40Intake tube for MAF$0
Silicone tube to cleaner $15
ELECTRICALF-Body fans$100F-Body fans$100
Under hood fuse block and relays$200Under hood fuse block and relays$200
Dakota Digital SGI-8E$100Dakota Digital SGI-8E$100
Dakota CC box$330Dakota CC box$330
Corvette pedal (RE-PIN)$100Corvette pedal (RE-PIN)$100
FUEL SYSTEMSupra fuel pump$200Stealth fuel pump$150
Corvette Regulator and fittings$200Tapped block$10
Fuel pressure sensor$25Fuel pressure sensor$15
EVAP canister & solenoid$100Pressure sensor adapter$10
Fittings for block to stock lines$30
Fitting for stock line to motor$10
Fuel pressure sensor$25
EVAP canister & solenoid$100
PWM Controller$25
$10,515$10,420

For a california legal LS swap you would probably have to go through Jonathan Ward's company called Icon. Give them a ring and see what they say. Since you just got your cruiser I would recommend against doing too many mods until you have driven in it and camped out in it as is. The stock suspension will take you to plenty of places with just some replacement shocks. A good set of all terrains on a stock 80 series and your good to do some exploring. As you use it, take notes of what you want to change. Mainly focus on baselining it as far as maintenance and repairing leaks. Also try to drive it as much as possible around town, better to find out any issues in town then somewhere far from town offroad.

None of us do. Typically the 1FZ motors are very hearty and most of us expect 300-400,000 miles. Rebuilt can be anything from a new head gasket to a brand new short block. I would seriously try to backtrack the info with the shop that did the work. A regear, and/or supercharger, or turbo can add significant power. What is the application for all the extra power: on road, offroad, towing,ego,......

I will be doing some heavy duty overlanding with it. I will also be adding weight, quite a bit of it, as I get it prepared to do extended travel trips. If I can meet my needs by doing something different, I would certainly entertain that option. From the people I know the 80s can be under-powered. I will be re-gearing to 4:88 so that should help.

For a california legal LS swap you would probably have to go through Jonathan Ward's company called Icon. Give them a ring and see what they say. Since you just got your cruiser I would recommend against doing too many mods until you have driven in it and camped out in it as is. The stock suspension will take you to plenty of places with just some replacement shocks. A good set of all terrains on a stock 80 series and your good to do some exploring. As you use it, take notes of what you want to change. Mainly focus on baselining it as far as maintenance and repairing leaks. Also try to drive it as much as possible around town, better to find out any issues in town then somewhere far from town offroad.

I'm re-gearing and putting in the ARB locker sooner than I initially planned. The 80 has a locked rear dif. Someone may have replaced the stock dif with one from a Pick-A-Part not realizing it was a locking one. Because of that, I decided to get it done sooner. This vehicle is going to end up being a show vehicle so it is going to be built rather quick. I do have some sponsorships to ease the cost burden.

I agree with figuring out what is right. I have been overloading for a little while and do have friends who are Land Cruiser experts helping me on this build knowing how I am going to use it.

I'm re-gearing and putting in the ARB locker sooner than I initially planned. The 80 has a locked rear dif. Someone may have replaced the stock dif with one from a Pick-A-Part not realizing it was a locking one. Because of that, I decided to get it done sooner. This vehicle is going to end up being a show vehicle so it is going to be built rather quick. I do have some sponsorships to ease the cost burden.

I agree with figuring out what is right. I have been overloading for a little while and do have friends who are Land Cruiser experts helping me on this build knowing how I am going to use it.

Also, if I do an LS swap, I will do it the right way. I personally don't believe in doing short cuts or trying to do things shady.

It's the level right before Overlording.

I'd look at trying to get ALL the information I could from the shop that rebuilt it and what "rebuilt" means.

Could just mean a headgasket and some hoses, or it could mean new bearing, pistons, crank grinds, all seals, machine shop work etc. (which you are looking $5k plus on a 1FZ rebuild)

That may help decide if you want to keep this or swap for an LS. As others have said, a turbo kit is coming soon and will be LOADS cheaper and easier than an LS swap...and you get quite the bump in power.

EDIT: @inkpot said everything I typed...before me...so.. :D

I will be seeing Joey from Wits End at Overland Expo West next week, so I am going to talk to him about the Turbo he is coming out with.

congratulations on the new rig - love the color!

unless you have 10 :banana: workshop skills, I suggest drive it for a while, perform compression and leak-down tests if the numbers are not great possibly get a solid rebuild on the engine THEN call Joey (@NLXTACY ) at Absolute Wits' End and order up a turbo kit. I have a supercharged 1FZ that's great, but a turbo would hit the spot - the numbers are better at least and *allegedly* turbos adjust better to altitude. his is (basically) plug and play, you retain Toyota reliability, CARB certification, and no headaches when you are driving >20 miles from the mechanic who performs said swap.

my $0.02

Last edited:
I will be doing some heavy duty overlanding with it. I will also be adding weight, quite a bit of it, as I get it prepared to do extended travel trips. If I can meet my needs by doing something different, I would certainly entertain that option. From the people I know the 80s can be under-powered. I will be re-gearing to 4:88 so that should help.
My truck is heavily armored. I take long distance "overlanding" trips frequently. No LS, no SC, no turbo, no diesel, no gears, no problem. Enjoy the ride and learn about the truck for now...consider the options later.

The C&C E-Rod is Carb Certified.

I don't know what other wacky ass laws you need to follow to do the swap in that state though.

congratulations on the new rig - love the color!

unless you have 10 :banana: workshop skills, I suggest drive it for a while, perform compression and leak-down tests if the numbers are not great possibly get a solid rebuild on the engine THEN call Joey (@NLXTACY ) at Absolute Wits' End and order up a turbo kit. I have a supercharged 1FZ that's great, but a turbo would hit the spot - the numbers are better at least and *allegedly* turbos adjust better to altitude. his is (basically) plug and play, you retain Toyota reliability, CARB certification, and no headaches when you are driving >20 miles from the mechanic who performs said swap.

my $0.02

Thank you, I like the color, too.

I don't know what other wacky ass laws you need to follow to do the swap in that state though.

I know, tell me about it.

If you are really set on an LS swap talk to @Dynosoar

Peter has done a few Vortec and GM swaps over the years and all are BAR certified. Heck I did one of the referee certs for him on his 80 toy pickup. 😜

This wont work, look at this line from the site you linked

"It's CARB-certified for 1995-and-earlier vehicles that predate OBD-II onboard emissions diagnostics."

Since you truck is a 96, it is OBD-II. You're better off doing the wits end turbo kit once it gets its CARB cert.

I went through a 96 motor swap on a Honda back in 2000. The engine was from another OBD2 honda and I had to use the intake, exhaust, cats and ECU from the donor. It was a major pain and took 3 attempts at a ref station to get it to pass. Not sure if anyone has done a CA legal OBD-II swap for LS to 80 series. I would like to know more about it if anyone has.

I'm starting my swap next week.....Take the time to do the research.....Thousands of threads and channels to read and watch....I can turn a wrench but my buddies can do it better...Found a 5.3 with a 4L80E and all of the accessories and harnesses for $1700.00 out of a 2004 yukon 4wd. Heard running and did compression check. Adaptors are around $2k-4k. Figure in some miscellaneous funds for the unexpected...I'm lucky my mechanic is a buddies buddy and we all have 80's. Mine will be the first out of the group and so it's not as bad on the pocket book. Maybe you can do it in phases? I plan on doing it that way. Should be done by September at the latest...Motor, tranny, and motor mounts from Marks are here...Then on to phase 2 and get the other adapters from Marks...

Last edited:
@SoCal80series

In your shoes I would take the above advice and start building your truck after you have put some miles on it and actually used it in off road situations. 80s are popular for good reason. Pull the running boards (flares to if so inclined) put a set of 33" ATs on it and get out in the woods.

If you then decide you want an LS based swap, do your homework! Not every motor trans combo works well mechanically. Many talk about 6 speeds and 4L80E. It all bolts up but clearing the trans pan becomes an issue. Using a mini truck CV and massaging the pan are solutions. One LS3 C&C package comes with the 4L65E. I've used this trans in all my swaps with no issue. One that has been tuned and the owner likes doing 0-60 times, never an issue with the trans and cruises at 75MPH at 2200 RPM.

As I stated in an above post, few are making it past the refs these days. This is a big concern. I would call around to the bigger shops that have done this in Land Cruisers and see what they tell you. One option is to register the vehicle in another state. I know that if you "store" a vehicle in SC for more than half the year you can register it here.

Again, before you go loking at an LS swap I would use the truck and really get a feel for it. We've taken our stock 80 all over with no problems. It's only getting a swap now because the wrist pin knock it has is to the point we are not confident in getting home :)

@SoCal80series

In your shoes I would take the above advice and start building your truck after you have put some miles on it and actually used it in off road situations. 80s are popular for good reason. Pull the running boards (flares to if so inclined) put a set of 33" ATs on it and get out in the woods.

If you then decide you want an LS based swap, do your homework! Not every motor trans combo works well mechanically. Many talk about 6 speeds and 4L80E. It all bolts up but clearing the trans pan becomes an issue. Using a mini truck CV and massaging the pan are solutions. One LS3 C&C package comes with the 4L65E. I've used this trans in all my swaps with no issue. One that has been tuned and the owner likes doing 0-60 times, never an issue with the trans and cruises at 75MPH at 2200 RPM.

As I stated in an above post, few are making it past the refs these days. This is a big concern. I would call around to the bigger shops that have done this in Land Cruisers and see what they tell you. One option is to register the vehicle in another state. I know that if you "store" a vehicle in SC for more than half the year you can register it here.

Again, before you go loking at an LS swap I would use the truck and really get a feel for it. We've taken our stock 80 all over with no problems. It's only getting a swap now because the wrist pin knock it has is to the point we are not confident in getting home :)

I don't plan on doing a swap immediately. I want to do so in two to three years. The reason I started the thread is to start planning ahead. As I stated this motor has a suspect rebuild with 4k miles on it. It may last forever and if I find out in the intermediate that I am fine with the engine or that it is sufficient power for my needs I am not going to run out and spend the money doing an LS swap for the sake of it. I am out to impress no one - I just want something that meets my needs. Moreover, if the Wits End Turbo will give me the additional power that I need I will certainly go that route. If the motor craps out and it makes sense then maybe I would acquire a Toyota remanufactured engine and go from there.
@SoCal80series

These are things to consider and why I started this thread years before I plan on doing the swap. Gives me time to sort out all of the considerations thoroughly before making any decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom