Not another fj60 gas tank recall issue. Called Toyota corporate today. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just a shade over $850

They charged you for the gas tank??? Just trying to get an idea of what i might have to deal with here in Santa Cruz...probably the worst dealership in the country...no joke.

My tank had already been recalled. I just needed a new tank. So, no freebie. If you have never had the tank replaced the total cost should be nothing.

I apologize if this is a dumb question but what about the original tank design was flawed and why was a recall issued? I'm guessing the replacement tanks were slightly different than the original ones?

My tank had already been recalled. I just needed a new tank. So, no freebie

That's sounds better!

what about the original tank design was flawed and why was a recall issued?

The tanks...under extreme conditions, could come apart at some of the seams...causing a leak, which could possibly start a fire.

That's sounds better!

The tanks...under extreme conditions, could come apart at some of the seams...causing a leak, which could possibly start a fire.
Thanks. I guess I will have to take a close look at the FJ 62 that I am buying to make sure the tank is in good shape as it sounds like it will have to last the life of the car.

Thanks. I guess I will have to take a close look at the FJ 62 that I am buying to make sure the tank is in good shape as it sounds like it will have to last the life of the car.
You can send me your VIN and I can tell you if the recall has been done.

Thank you. I am supposed to pick it up Thursday am. It looks like there are no outstanding recalls but wondering what if tank rusts.
Vin is JT3FJ62G8L1120636

Just an update. Got a call last week that part # 77250-60050 and 77260-60060 are no longer available. Is this true? All the other parts have been at the dealership for weeks but they cannot find these 2 hoses. Since these hoses never arrived, no recall will be performed. I was instructed by the dealership to call Corporate again.
If there is someone that has these parts can you let me know.

I just ran a Carfax (I can't believe I never did this for this vehicle until now) and it shows that it has been to a dealer for service a few times in it's life but does not state that a recall was performed. I say this because when I sold my last DD the Carfax did state a recall was performed. I punched in my vin in the recall link that was posted above and it shows "no outstanding recalls". Is there a different way to check if these recalls were performed?

On a different note the Carfax gave me some insight on my vehicles life. I found out it spent it's first 100k or so in Minnesota (still no rust on the truck) then moved to Colorado for most of its years, then to AZ for two years, failed smog 2 times and went to auction. I then purchased from ghetto used car dealer in the Phoenix area. I have no service records before me so it's neat to find any info at all.

So I ran my VIN like Godwin suggested on the other page of this post. Nothing came back for my vehicle. Is there any other way to check and see if the recall was done to mine or not?

There is an older database that has to be checked as well, if I remember correctly, that it is easier to call Toyota Corporate and have them run your VIN.. Mine was not showing up on the website either but when i called on mine it showed that the tank had been replaced in 92 which coincides with some writing on the side of the tank I was trying to figure out.

So I ran my VIN like Godwin suggested on the other page of this post. Nothing came back for my vehicle. Is there any other way to check and see if the recall was done to mine or not?

Not sure if how far back it goes but I was able to get the build sheet for my 89 FJ62 which also showed when the recall was done on my mine.

What I don't understand earlier in this thread someone stated their 84 had the recall done in 86. If Toyota knew there was a problem by 86 why were they installing tanks after that date that needed to be replaced.:meh:

Ill be running my vin tomorrow, If they want to give me 7500 ill take it and a few choice parts will be for sale.
My only trip to the dealership with it i was offered 5k and i had just paid 1500 for it a few days before.

I went through this when I found my tank to be rusty inside. Called the dealer and they ran my VIN. Of course, my recall had been done around 1990. So no free tank for me. I did what any good mud member would do, I posted up a WTB in the classifieds. Got a reply in a couple of days from a guy who pulled his tank for a long range one. His recall had also been completed. I got a practally brand new looking tank for around $200 + shipping + about $50 of new fuel lines. I'm a happy camper with that deal. No free tank, but I'll take it!

called corporate office and found out my tank was replaced in 94. What are my options now? Don't want to pay the high price at the dealer.

The dealer can't help you in your need a tank. Go for the long range upgrade.
Mine was done in 95

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom