not another dual battery question.....yep (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read all posts on dual batteries. It seems like in the set ups most people like to use one battery for starting and one for everything else. Is this the best way? I am trying to figure options my wiring harnes told me to run the direct battery poer to the starter positive battery post which obviously will power everything that goes through the fuse panel on the starting batttery. what option is best:

a. one for starting only - fuse box, winch, everything else to the other battery.
b. one battery that does everything and the other as a back up to self jump if the first one runs low.
c. one for starting, fuse panel, basic standard stuff as if I only had one battery, and then the other battery for back-up and winch.
d. a combo not listed here.

Let em know your input. I also attached a picuter of the engine compartment.
Greg
Engine compartment (2)lq.jpg

I vote for option "c"

Currently the only thing I run off of the aux. battery are the following:
viair compressor
flood lights
spot lights
rock lights (soon)
winch (soon)
110v inverter (soon)

Primary battery is for all regular stuff...

Recently I accidentally disconnected the alternator wire, which meant I was running off the battery for 3days before I could no longer start my cruiser.
I jumped from the aux. on the way home, and identified the problem the following morning.

by the way, nice choice in batteries :D
manny

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=37136&highlight=dual+manny

I wanted those batteries and your post you refer to is the post that finalized the choice. I think I even ordered them from the same place.

I run option C with a bluetop optima as main and a 1100 CCA big fat Exide deep cycle marine as winch and back up, have had stereo and other issues completely drain main till nothing would go not even dome light and put jumpers on and bam , back in business. I run a 90 amp isolator and never worry bout runnin outa juice , it is nice plus the addition of a 30 watt solar panel and you never worry , play music all day , run arb fridge constant ( it cycles itself) , lights , air pumps , whatever , the solar kicks ass...

solar panel...hummm, pics please :D

Yup , solar , check Harbor Freight , they have to order the 30 watt unit but it is about 36" long and 12 " wide and 1" thick , easy hook up ( aligator clip) and under 100 bucks. Just to give you and idea of power output my engle medium fridge uses 34.8 watts at max run , and it cycles just like a normal fridge and is prolly closer to 22 watts at setting #1 which is where it keeps stuff plenty cold.
So the 30 watt solar easily keeps batt. charged...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom