Not another 100 series vs GX 470 thread: Cargo space edition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry! I'm having a surprisingly hard time finding any solid info on this online.

I have a gx470, but considering a 100 series for more cargo space, and sleeping space for camping. I'm trying to figure out, with the 2nd and 3rd row seats completely removed, how much more floor space do the 100s have? All the dimensions I'm finding are cubic/volume, but I'm really just wondering about length/width of the floor with the 2nd and 3rd row seats completely removed.

Anyone care to measure for the sake of the internet? Bonus for photos so we can see where you put the ruler.

I don't have measurements, but my third row is gone and replaced with cargo drawers. Height matches up with my 2nd row when folded. I can fit a full size air mattress.

EA2450FD-EC26-46AE-958E-F3BB227A4B17.jpeg

It's roughly 42" between the wheel wells so if you want more width, you have to have a platform or drawers above the wheel wells, like shown above.

For what it's worth, our Landcruiser panels for our drawer/sleeper system are 71inches long x 48 inches wide, and the GX470 is 72in long x 42in wide.

That's not an *exact* reflection of the floor, but it's pretty close. Our offering for the GX470 is similar in length, but more narrow in the drawers/sleeper.

20220630_151210.jpg

20220623_115058 (1).jpg

For what it's worth, our Landcruiser panels for our drawer/sleeper system are 71inches long x 48 inches wide, and the GX470 is 72in long x 42in wide.

That's not an *exact* reflection of the floor, but it's pretty close. Our offering for the GX470 is similar in length, but more narrow in the drawers/sleeper.

View attachment 3242752

View attachment 3242758
Interesting, so the 100 is really no longer than the gx? I had figured it was about 7" longer from the rear door to the back of the front seats.

Interesting, so the 100 is really no longer than the gx? I had figured it was about 7" longer from the rear door to the back of the front seats.
We haven't necessarily taken the measurement from the inside of the closed rear door to the front seats on both vehicles, but that 7inches seems like it could be about right. We target 6ft for the total length of our sleeper, and we had to squeeze a *littttle* more on the GX470 (i.e. less space between the rear hatch and the system, and less gap between the end of the sleeper and the front seats), so that 7inches could be about right

I'll
I'm willing to bet a large sum of $ that the 100 is a decent amount longer that the GX. :D

As for the rear area of the 100 that you are seeking measurments for, I just measured a bit <78"with the 3rd row gone, 2nd row passenger seat folded back so the dumb end of the tape was pressing against middle of passenger front seat, which was in a standard driving possition and not all the way forward nor straight upright. This was measuring an LX. At the floor, 76.5" from drivers seat in normal driving position for someone who's 5'11.

Last edited:
I'll

I'm willing to bet a large sum of $ that the 100 is a decent amount longer that the GX. :D

As for the rear area of the 100 that you are seeking measurments for, I just measured a bit <78"with the 3rd row gone, 2nd row passenger seat folded back so the dumb end of the tape was pressing against middle of passenger front seat, which was in a standard driving possition and not all the way forward nor straight upright. This was measuring an LX. At the floor, 76.5" from drivers seat in normal driving position for someone who's 5'11.
Super helpful, thanks! I'll try to match your measurement to compare but for now, here's the measurement I took in my GX:
From the inside of the trim on the back door opening, to the plastic frame the drivers seat is mounted on, the floor measures 79" long.

PXL_20230209_232417788.jpg

PXL_20230209_232437289.jpg

A somewhat remotely related question. Is the 100 series more stable than the GX470 due to the wider body and width-to-height aspect ratio? esp. at sharp corners and off road conditions?

A somewhat remotely related question. Is the 100 series more stable than the GX470 due to the wider body and width-to-height aspect ratio? esp. at sharp corners and off road conditions?
I own both and if I’m taking corners fast, the gx would be my choice hands down.

It is way faster and handles much sportier than my lx.

And the LX measures right at 80” from the inside of the tailgate, when it’s up, to the back of the center console.

A comparable measurement in my gx is about 76”.

That’s hard to believe they are so close.

That’s an ‘05 gx470 and 03’ lx470.

Last edited:
My 100 had considerably more space than the wife’s gx460

Yeah, the comparative measurements are interesting for sure. The big wildcard is, what position the seats need to be in for comfortable driving. Maybe the seat mounts aren't engineered to sit in comparative positions in relationship to steering/pedals in each vehicle?? My LX has way more room than my 4tyh gens w/rear seat folded down. I doubt I have 72" in the 4th gen T4R and I always thought those had more cargo area length than its GX brother.

Last edited:
Yeah there's a lot of variables for sure. Would it make more sense for everyone to measure to the back of the drivers seat, with the seat all the way forward perhaps? This would of course be a measurement useful only for sleeping area, not cargo space while driving.

Sorry! I'm having a surprisingly hard time finding any solid info on this online.

I have a gx470, but considering a 100 series for more cargo space, and sleeping space for camping. I'm trying to figure out, with the 2nd and 3rd row seats completely removed, how much more floor space do the 100s have? All the dimensions I'm finding are cubic/volume, but I'm really just wondering about length/width of the floor with the 2nd and 3rd row seats completely removed.

Anyone care to measure for the sake of the internet? Bonus for photos so we can see where you put the ruler.

You can fit a queen size bed in the 100 series w/ a full size cooler, platform, dog, etc. etc. etc. Just stick with the 100 series lol .
Want more space? Buy a Sequoia . Want less space and cheap parts? Buy a four runner.
1676050456806.png

Last edited:
You can fit a queen size bed in the 100 series w/ a full size cooler, platform, dog, etc. etc. etc. Just stick with the 100 series lol .
Want more space? Buy a Sequoia . Want less space and cheap parts? Buy a four runner.
View attachment 3244648
Does the queen fit without pushing the front row seats forward? I need to put the gx seats pretty much all the way forward to fit one.

Does the queen fit without pushing the front row seats forward? I need to put the gx seats pretty much all the way forward to fit one.
Yes, it will fit. Even with the seats back a little ways is fine. In fact I tip the seat back to add some head support while sleeping,. But if you don't have a platform it will drop down into the foot well area in second row. It's tight on the hatch opening but if it's a memory foam you can just squeeze it through.

I have the second row removed and the SS1 kit from Air Down Gear Up. Best setup on the market in my biased opinion. It allows for the most storage capacity and flexibility .

So it looks like the length in the back of both vehicles is similar, how about height? The GX looks so tall. I have a platform in the back of my LX which I kept as low as possible to preserve headroom. I do a lot of winter camping and want to be able to sit up in bed to get dressed. However the ventilation system behind the headliner eats up a few inches of room. Does the GX have any more effective headroom than the LX? I made my platform as low as possible, just enough clearance underneath for a couple of snowboards.
8A3E7BA5-743D-415A-B57C-C4B2ADFD0FEC.jpeg

Are you looking for a camping rig or more offroading? I have an 01 Sequoia and for camping/kid hauling. it's great. I'm 6'3 and sleep in the back just fine. I wanted to build a platform that takes the place of the 2nd and 3rd row seats and then it'd be crazy room. The limited trim on the Sequoia is pretty close to my LX470 also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom