Not a Morning Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought an FJ60 a year ago. For the most part everything has worked fantastically. However sometimes I'm having an issue with starting. Some of the time when I turn the engine over it won't catch and fire up - or at least it takes a lot of doing. Eventually it always does but it's a hard start. For a while it'll sputter a little, split, then drop in a groove and work perfectly...??? Other times it will fire up on the first turn and work perfectly from the jump.

My vaccum lines are in right. The carb isn't the isse because I had Jim C. rebuild it this summer. Fuel is getting to the carb. What do you guys think? Timing issue?:meh:

Thanks for you help in advance.

Moisture some where prob. dist. look in cap.My 60s were always easier to start later in the day. Mike

Jim C. can't set up the choke for you. Did you connect it correctly and do you use it consistently?

I have had this problem a few times over the year. The last time there was a problem with the fuel pump leaking a bit and running the fuel out of the lines so it took forever for gas to get to the carb - replaced fuel pump. The time before that the spark plug wires were old. I went out at before day light one morning to start the truck and could not get it to start. Popped the hood, and while the wife turned the key I saw sparks arcing from one wire to the next where they were basically sitting on each other - replaced wires, plugs, cap, and rotor for good measure. The time before that the manifold was leaking, not sure why that would make the truck hard to start, but for other much less wonderful reasons, I had to replace the manifold gasket and that fixed the problem.

Wow! Thanks for the help

Choke - That's hooked up correctly. I don't always have to use it because on warm days it usually just starts up and I'm good to go. Today it's pretty cold and damp (frost) and it gave me some trouble when I went to start it but like always it did finally start. Left the choke pulled for a few minutes - gradually let it in - and now it idling perfectly ready to rock.

Fuel pump - All was well when I put the carb in in August.

Spark Plugs - New as of last April

Distributer Cap Crack - How obvious would the be looking at it? Is that easily visible if there is a crack?

Rotor - I'll get a new one.

Ingition wires - Last owner said he put in new ones, but....

A moisture issue seems to be what most are pointing to...?

Thanks again​

I think if it were a moisture issue you would have problems when driving in the rain.... ie truck would either cut out or turn off / quit. Just for fun you might as well go on and replace the dist cap and rotor button.

My 60 when I had the I-6 was a royal pain in the but to crank in the cold....it would eventually start but sometimes I thought Iwas going to get stranded. On mine it really made no difference on the choke, other than it would not start at all with the chocke lever pulled all the way out. I would suspect your carb may need a rebuild.

Yeah it could be a fuel pump...but doubt that. If truck runs normally once started then I doubt its the fuel pump or fuel filter. Generally starting issues point back to carb problems, if the other systems function correctly (battery, starter...) and the truck runs fine once started.

Pull the cap off and pull it outward with both hands, like trying to make it an oval. Rotate 90 degrees and do this again. If there is a crack that is letting moisture in, you should see it. I would replace it along with the rotor if it looks older or worn. The wires are not cheap, more than the cap, rotor, and plugs, if I remember correctly. Theoretically, you can ohm them out with a ohmmeter or a DMM - I have heard of this - but never done it. I have the luxury of having every receipt for the 25 years of my truck's life, so I know if something is old and I replace it. When I had problems that were only on rainy days, replacing the wires, cap and rotor did the trick. Mind you, there are still days when it takes a moment or two to get the truck to start. Oh - one more thing - a good battery will turn the motor over faster, this seems to help it start sooner.

Let's not forget, this is a glorified tractor motor and cold mornings aren't going to see it start up like a modern car.

My cold start ritual:

pump gas pedal 3 or 4 times
on the last pump, keep it to the floor
pull choke all the way
turn it over with the pedal mashed
then start feathering the pedal

until it comes to life

wrap it to about 2 grand
push the choke back in while maintaining 2000 or better
let it drop to about a grand
re-open choke until it will idle above 1000
Let it warm up

depress choke
she's idling at 750

scrape the ice off the windshield go about my day

Let's not forget, this is a glorified tractor motor and cold mornings aren't going to see it start up like a modern car.

My cold start ritual:

pump gas pedal 3 or 4 times
on the last pump, keep it to the floor
pull choke all the way
turn it over with the pedal mashed
then start feathering the pedal

until it comes to life

wrap it to about 2 grand
push the choke back in while maintaining 2000 or better
let it drop to about a grand
re-open choke until it will idle above 1000
Let it warm up

depress choke
she's idling at 750

s****e the ice off the windshield go about my day

That sounds pretty close to what I do to get my 60 started... It sometimes sits for a week or more at a time without getting driven.

Just remember, GunDog, these are cold blooded beasts and take some sweet talking and some time to breathe first thing in the morning. You shouldn't expect to able to start it up and drive away without any warm up time. Unless you plan some sort of F.I.'d engine swap.

Don't forget to rub the dash and say "come on girl, you can do it, I know you can." Works in my 40 most of the time. :>)

Trapper - is that a post without a picture of your truck in it?!?:flipoff2:

hehehe. It is a gorgeous truck...

I guess i'm lucky. My 87 which is running like crap (exhaust leak) starts up easy each time. But currently driven every day so doesn't sit.

4 pumps
no gas, no choke - turn it over and it fires.
feather gas, pull choke and keep it 1500-2k rpms until warm.
currently idling at 1100 or so - once my manifold is swapped i'll adjust it down.

not much help sorry. I'd swap cap, rotor, wires, and plugs if you haven't already.

GL!

rob

Pretty sure it's not a carb issue. Jim C just rebuilt it this summer. Wunce it's warmed up and settled in it runs great. In warm weather I don't have a lot of trouble at all. Had the battery checked - tested good. If those aren't the issues then it sounds like a new cap, rotor and wires is the way to go. Thanks for the input.

Pretty sure it's not a carb issue. Jim C just rebuilt it this summer. Wunce it's warmed up and settled in it runs great. In warm weather I don't have a lot of trouble at all. Had the battery checked - tested good. If those aren't the issues then it sounds like a new cap, rotor and wires is the way to go. Thanks for the input.

Good luck. Chime in again once you've solved the problem...

OK I replaced the cap, rotor, and ignition wires. Inside of the dist. looked clean and dry (no condensation). Still no luck. Engine is turning, but it generally doesn't act like it will catch and fire up. Not very cold today. I know gas is getting to the carb while I'm trying to start it. Soooo you'd think fuel delivery would be OK. Checked the plugs/gaps....all looks good there.

May be an ignition coil problem...???:hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom