Not a 60, but still BA. Need some help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My buddy found a gem that he's anxious to purchase because he doesn't know much about cars. He sent me these pics along with others of a 56 Jeep in what appears to be great shape for an unbelievable price.

My question is this...he was told my with wife of the deceased husband (owner) that the engine is a flathead 6 cylinder. I'm familiar with the flathead 8 but haven't heard of the 6.

To me it appears to be a flathead but wanted to see if any of you guys could confirm and if you have any thoughts of the quality of the engine in general. Thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

IMG_4658.JPG

IMG_4659.JPG

IMG_4660.JPG

IMG_4662.JPG

Good engine Willys 6-226 Super Hurricane was run in the trucks and wagons for about 10 years (55-65) Owned several wagons over the years with this engine much better than 4 cyl.

Wish it was mine:frown:

Well if he doesn't know much about cars he can't have it. Sorry those are the car god rules :(

It is pretty and quirky. I love that the radio is directly in front of the driver, it is after all the most important thing to look at!

Great find :beer: to your friend and pics of the 56 jeep would be cool to see also

What a beauty! That is a Flathead inline 6 and don't let it scare you (or him) they are very simple and will be just fine! I want it, out me inline behind your buddy if he doesn't buy it!

Flatheads came in several flavors. The most remembered where the flat v-8s that where in the Fords. Though I have a Flathead straight 8 in a Chrysler and they made them in several cylinder and displacement sizes. Not known to be a speed demon but they are simple and easy to fix.

Not a ton of help, but I know that flat head inline engines are somewhat common in old boats. Like wooden Chris Craft old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom