Builds Northwoods FJ60 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As a UK alum, good for her! I had a lot of fun there. My folks have relocated to Lexington as well. It's a great city. Next time you're there make sure to grab some Country Boy beer!

I'm one hour West in Louisville.

I love Louisville. One of my top 10 favorite cities.

Alrighty, the FJ60 is back in the shop! The carb is rebuilt, and now they're helping me piece everything back together. The motor isn't in the nest yet. That'll be another two weeks or so, hopefully.

After taking a look at my suspension, I'll need to replace all the bushings and what not. I've been reading about lifts. If I do go with a lift, 2" would be my maximum. The plan is to go with an OME kit, and get it all put together before I address the frame rust.

I'll get some photos later this week and post them up here.

Well I'll volunteer Cruiser Outfitters. There are other folks who sell OME. I used Iron Pig Offroad . Some recommend Dobinsons. Take your time and determine how you will use your cruiser? Will you add heavy bumpers, winch, swing away bar for spare. Etc. Do you need a heavy/heavy, or light/medium, etc. Keep it up.

Well I'll volunteer Cruiser Outfitters. There are other folks who sell OME. I used Iron Pig Offroad . Some recommend Dobinsons. Take your time and determine how you will use your cruiser? Will you add heavy bumpers, winch, swing away bar for spare. Etc. Do you need a heavy/heavy, or light/medium, etc. Keep it up.
I saw that Iron Pig sold the smallest lift (at least that's what I found with my first search on my phone) at 1.25"-2". At some point, I would like to add a winch and bull bar to my bumper, and a spare tire system for the rear bumper, but those are "someday" things for now. So I'm opting for the heavier-duty kit in place of the light-duty option. I'd like to see whether the OME kit has rubber bushings or the poly bushings in it. After doing some reading, I'm leaning towards rubber. Otherwise I'll just keep a grease gun in the back and pump 'em full every so often.

Can't tell whether ARB sells a suspension kit with new springs set at the factory height for an FJ. It doesn't look like it, but I'd be ok with a lift, so long as it's not a SPOA lift like what was done to my Suzuki Samurai. Loved the little rig, but it was a nightmare to drive.

Also found out today that my FJ60 was built in August of 1983, making it a 1984 model in the car world? So the new gas tank I had ordered won't fit. When we tried to hoist it in, it just didn't work. So I'm on the hunt for that.

Iron Pig was in stock and delivered at best price for my light/med setup. I believe my bushings are poly. I went with the 2" lift and if I need to go heavy I'll just add a leaf to my setup. The after market front bumper with winch is what I have on my someday list as well. My cruiser is a weekender, hunting lease, and a hobby...$$.

SOR sells a grocery getter that is stock height. Man-A-Fre sells a stock height leaf spring set up as well.

Gas tank. Start with the part out section and I think there are a few there. You may have luck picking one up.

I ended up getting the 1.25"-2" kit from Iron Pig. Should be in later this week. The snow has been ruthless, we're over 38" of total snowfall this season. I started tallying up my total investments into my rig, and it wasn't as bad as I anticipated.

As for the fuel tank, it looks to be in good enough shape to clean out and reline. So I'm going ahead with that later this week. I wonder if anyone has had luck with Man-A-Fre Toyota's extended range 38 gallon fuel tank. Might be worth looking into someday.

This week, I'm planning to get my fluids lined up (front and rear diffs, t-case, tranny, engine) and having that ready to go when things are being bolted back together. I ran into a local Schaeffer Oil rep, he was real helpful. Tossed up between them and AMSOIL. I've had excellent luck with both. AMSOIL somehow improved my fuel economy in my old TJ Rubicon. Schaeffers makes fansatic 2-stroke oil that I've used in my Rokon Trailbreaker. I'll do some reading and decide later today, but AMSOIL is more common up here. Only one parts shop sells Schaeffers around here.

Not much else to report right now, the snow is heaping up outside my window. All the crazies have gone indoors for hibernation, it may be time for a hike, while no one is outside...

Below is a fine example of some past dumbassery on my part, I thought it'd be fun to try and tow the FJ60 with my 200-pound Rokon. It didn't go at all, but it was indeed fun. Two-wheel drive burnouts are interesting on a motorbike! The black marks are still there on the pavement. This photo was from two years ago.
IMG_5649.JPG

The new suspension kit has come in from Iron Pig Offroad, everything looks awesome. Haven't gotten around to getting the new lift put on yet, we've had some issues with my engine.

The guys at the shop put an oil primer on the motor and spun the oil pump with an electric drill to find that my block is leaking oil from the timing plate cover. After some research, I think it might be the oil squirter that sits behind that plate. Seems to be a common rebuild error. Here's the thread that explains a lot of that, here. Just waiting on new gaskets for the timing plate now, they should be in today. The rebuilder also put the factory oil pan back on, and it had a very notable leak coming from it. $200-some dollars later, it has a new oil pan.

She has front brakes now, so that's a step forward. Next will be the rear drums. Those old rusted drums might be a headache, but nothing an acetylene torch can't fix (can't be tight if it's a liquid). Beyond that things are going forward a little at a time. Below are some recent photos of the front end all torn apart, and one of the inside of the oil pan. I hope my engine rebuilder didn't muck something up. I guess I'll know for sure when we try and start it!!!

20181210_131116.jpg
20181217_132202.jpg

It's been a while, but there has been progress!! Lift kit is attached, new tires are on, and pretty much all that's left is to wait for a warmer, dry day and put gas in the tank to run it. They'll run it until she's nice and warmed up to operating temperature, and check for any leaks or weird noises.

It's finally coming together. Super pumped. I ended up going with 31" Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires. Factory rims. I think she sits rather pretty. I must also apologize for my crappy photos, taking bad pictures is a family trait.

Does that Iron Pig lift kit make the truck sit pretty level? It looks level in your photos but hard to tell front on like that. I am looking at possibly doing the same as you and would like my truck to look mostly stock (as well as level)but with room for slightly bigger tires. Looking good.

Does that Iron Pig lift kit make the truck sit pretty level? It looks level in your photos but hard to tell front on like that. I am looking at possibly doing the same as you and would like my truck to look mostly stock (as well as level)but with room for slightly bigger tires. Looking good.
The lift kit I bought from Iron Pig seems to be pretty level, but I can't prove much to you without a good photo. Once I get back to the shop later this week, I'll try and get a better side photo for you. I'm very pleased with the result!

Bad news. Real bad. So far, I believe it's salvageable. Still not happy.

I drove it around the parking lot for one lap, which was awesome while it lasted. Then the engine stalled, or so I thought. Turned the key, I could hear the starter solenoid clunking but locking up. Called the engine rebuilder, and he insisted I not pull the oil pan, and just leave it for him to look at. That sent up the red flag, just in the way he kept insisting. So we pulled the oil pan, pulled the caps for the crank bearings, and found this. Only thing I can think is that someone installed the crank bearings upside down... preventing the oil journals from matching up, and not allowing oil to get to my crank bearing near my flywheel.

So the plan from here is to pull the crank and see if I can salvage it. After running my thumbnail over the gouges, it looks like we can just polish the end of the crank with some emery cloth and call it good. Got new crank bearings. So we shall see... Correct me if I'm wrong, but in regards to crank bearings—can't those only be installed one way?? I imagine it would take some force to press those in wrong, upside down to boot!!

I'm toying with the idea of demanding my money back from the rebuilder. This is technically strike four. First, the punctured oil pan, then we found dirt behind the timing cover, then he had backed out the oil squirter too far, and now... this. Pretty bummed. Not sure what to do here. I paid good money for a rebuild, and now I have had to spend at least an additional $600 for a new oil pan, labor for fixing the oil squirter, yada yada, plus whatever it's gonna cost to repair my crank and bearings. That'll probably be another $1200.

So that's where I sit.

Oh, nooooo! I surely didn't need to see this. My rebuilder is fighting the leaks on the new/rebuilt engine and after fixing a few, they've now got a leak at, yep, the rear of the timing cover. When I asked, they admitted that when the engine was out of the bay, they did not replace the timing cover gaskets. So now the finish is delayed another week or so while they work on the jobs that really pay their bills and keep them in business. Hopefully, on Friday or Monday, they'll get the engine back out of the bay and replace the rest of the gaskets. Either way, I'm missing my Land Cruiser and can't wait until I get to take the road trip to pick it up! And when I'm there to pick it up, I'm hopefully going to drop by Cruiser Junktion and meet the owner, Deo Klein. Who knows, I may find some good "junk" for FJ62 when I'm there.

Anyhow, good luck with your trials of getting your engine rebuilt; I'd think about towing yours out of there before that mechanic does more damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom