Northwest fabworks BLACK BOX (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
Anyone even seen this in action? I am so close to pulling the trigger on this set up But Would have to install myself. Anyone have any info on this real world?

thumbnail.asp.jpg

No experience but you sir are living the dream. Saw your rig on I-81 in Virginia going south for Expo East (crap trip for you if I remember correctly). Bad ass stance and well put together rig.

Travis.

Looks like a cool product

They still don't actually have one that bolts up to the trans side. I will be using one as the adapter between my GM trans and factory T-case when I motor swap.

No experience but you sir are living the dream. Saw your rig on I-81 in Virginia going south for Expo East (crap trip for you if I remember correctly). Bad ass stance and well put together rig.

Travis.
well thats all relative, Im not married anymore, no kids and I like outdoors. so its a trade off I suposse.

I have some experience with these and have seen one in action but not on an 80.

At all?? Then why do they claim they have it, or is it for pre 95

What it will work on is an A440 which is the earliest trans that came in the 91-92 80 series. I have seen one installed at the shop I work at onto an H55 and then mated to a split case and it was going into a 74 series. Another one that I have some experience with is the on in my dad's 60 but again an H55 and a split case. Im pretty sure Torfab has mated one in a 62 to an 80 case but I forget which trans, definitely not the a343.

The other thing to note about the black box is that for street applications you need to increase the fluid capacity by a few quarts by adding a reservoir, pump, and a cooler other wise you will melt the internals and damage the box. They don't list that information anywhere on their site and that information was gathered after calling them directly

Without airing someone else's business, i know a guy that has one that has had nothing but problems with it. The crazy small amount of fluid it holds makes it useless for a daily driven rig spinning high RPMs on the highway.

The other thing to note about the black box is that for street applications you need to increase the fluid capacity by a few quarts by adding a reservoir, pump, and a cooler other wise you will melt the internals and damage the box. They don't list that information anywhere on their site and that information was gathered after calling them directly

Ding Ding Ding! This is what my buddy found out from them after burning one up.

Ding Ding Ding! This is what my buddy found out from them after burning one up.
I will say they are strong. In my dad's 60 he drove 1000 miles from SF to Denver and then 1000 miles back on his black box for my wedding. He and Georg also discovered the fluid capacity problem after that.

Here is a link to Tors Facebook post. 6l80e black box and the 80 case

Other thing to note on an 80 is the gas tank has to be modified or moved

I sure wish we at least had the old crawler box we could bolt onto the existing transfercase, it had similar heat issues but at least it worked with all transmissions.

Wow! That should definitely be disclosed up front and on the website!

I have given serious thought to using one as adapter for LS+6L80 swap. If it’s not suitable for prolonged highway use, that makes it a nonstarter.

I have given serious thought to using one as adapter for LS+6L80 swap. If it’s not suitable for prolonged highway use, that makes it a nonstarter.

It literally requires extensive modifications to the floor and other parts of the vehicle in order to work and it’s pretty expensive to boot. But you’re concerned about adding small pieces like that?

Last edited:

It is suited to highway driving but it needs extra capacity to make it run cooler. As it is there is only about 1/2 quart of gear oil and there really needs about 3-4 quarts to keep it cool. Like I said in an earlier post my dad's black box made it over 2000 highway miles in just a few days on the 1/2 quart and it didn't grenade, it got hot but didn't fail. With the extra fluid capacity added there shouldn't be a problem. Add a reservoir, pump, and a finned cooler and the highway problem is solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom