SOLD North Idaho: 1990 Toyota 4Runner 5 speed 3.0 4x4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 4Runner
Mileage
Color
Red
Hi ih8mud!

Selling my 1990 4Runner. In short, it was mostly very well maintained, especially for the mileage, but the rear brake lines blew out and I haven't been able to get them replaced. It's currently setup with front brakes only, so ideally would be trailered. That said, it does run very well with a nice and smooth idle. It has some notable rust issues.

If the rust and brakes aren't an issue, I'm guessing the rest won't be, either. Nonetheless, I've written up a description already for Craigslist, so I'll copy/paste it here.

---

I'm normally pretty harsh on vehicles, but I do think this is a good one, even with the high miles. It may not be for you, but it's not been hopelessly neglected which I appreciate greatly. The worst issue, other than the brake lines, is the rust.
I bought it from the father of a Toyota mechanic. It was the mechanic's wife's car for some time. The motor was replaced around 200k (from what I understand) and the replacement may have had similar miles. But it had the timing belt done often and even has a whole extra intake manifold. Has a number of receipts, although not going all the way back.
It has a nice trailer hitch that doesn't kill your departure angle. The trailer wiring works. The tires are in great shape with a matching spare (newer than the rest) and do decently in the winter. They're close to 32" in diameter, but the gearing is still generously low. Engine feels decently peppy. Tends to get about 17 MPG. The rear wiper switch and defroster do not seem to be working. The rear window does roll up/down with both the key and the interior switch, but the relay module is a frequent failure point on these (I just replaced it, and likely replaced another replacement).
The 2nd generation 4Runners have absolutely tiny rear seats, ideal only for small children, and a very generous trunk space. The spare tire swing, present only in the first couple of years, works well, but is both a blessing and a curse.
I know the 3.0 V6 engines have a bad reputation according to many, but I find them to be a very smooth motor with decent power, and some of the headgasket issues may be overstated. This one has clearly lasted very well.
A/C works great and has been charged with a propane/isobutane mix. Evaporator was recently replaced.
Working:
* Cruise control.
* 4WD (low, high, ADD, etc).
Issues:
* Cracked windshield.
* No antenna, possible thread issues in the mount.
* Battery drains if you leave the radio faceplate on.
* Notable amount of rust. Not lots on the frame, but a good bit on the body.
* Bump stops have come off and are sitting loose in the rear springs.
* Roof rack is mounted strangely and rattles at speed, yet not simple to remove.
* Loose bits around the grille, the occasional broken bolt.
* Lots more. It's an old car with a lot of miles!
* No rear brakes!
Debatable:
* The muffler is smaller than stock and definitely noisier, but I really only hear it at idle or outside the car. It's by no means loud and annoying on the highway -- exhaust wise. There's plenty of wind noise to drown that out and make conversations more difficult, instead.
There's a ton of little details here that I need to list. I'll probably still forget to mention many of them.
These are fantastic offroad and the front suspension on these is much more durable than the 3rd gen 4Runners. If it's just you, or you're a couple, these can be great daily drivers or maybe even overlanding rigs. They probably don't crash test the best and the rear seats are tiny, so maybe not the best family car. But, you sure can haul a lot of groceries.
Having owned a 22RE powered 4Runner before, this one doesn't feel anemic and the torque is much appreciated. That said, the 22RE does have a much better reputation by most and you do get more access in the engine bay.

Price: $2,000

---

photo_2022-12-25_21-30-53.jpg

photo_2022-12-25_21-30-53 (2).jpg

photo_2022-12-25_21-30-54.jpg

photo_2022-12-25_21-30-54 (2).jpg

photo_2022-12-25_21-30-55.jpg

photo_2022-12-25_21-30-55 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom