North Eastern Mexico? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A buddy of mine has traveled through north eastern Mexico on dual sport motos several times and has really enjoyed it. PM me if you would like for me to get you in touch with him. I'm sure he would love to share his experiences.

Expedition portal might be a good resource.

Mexican here,

It pains me to say this but a lot of Mexico is not safe for camping.

I'd recommend Coahuila more, specially the Parras Area. Maybe even try the Copper Canyon train and camping in Chihuahua.

Another option is doing the Huasteca Potosina in the South of Nuevo Leon, the State where Monterrey is. Stay in small hotels in Jilitla or maybe even camp near the Swallows Hole. Amazing landscapes.

The reason is that NE Mexico is basically Tamaulipas and that's majorly dominated by organized crime, that I'd stay clear of that area.

All the best and stay safe,

J

Edit: Getting caught with a gun by Mexican officials would be a major bummer, you could face major extortion from them or worse: actually getting arrested. Don't bring a gun.

Last edited:
Potrero Chico sounds like a good plan. ALWAYS stay with the limits of the park and, if possible, don't travel alone.

Copper Canyon is pretty impressive, think Grand Canyon with trees and twice the size. Camping and outdoor activities are great on the many stops of the train ride like Creel and Divisadero.

Huasteca Potosina is all waterfalls like Tamul and Puente de Dios and surreal places like Sotano de las Golondrinas and Pozas de James in Jilitla. Google any of these, I am sure you'll drool over them.

If possible, try and contact a referenced local guide/tour company before getting to any of these places.

Safe travels!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom