North County Paint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@leucadiacruiser , We leave town around the 15th. I'll buy the gorditas if you want to caravan before then!

Maaco in O’side quoted me $1783 using the midgrade paint, they will also paint the front bumper. The guy in Vista told me he’d do the work for $1500 also including the front bumper (what’s the original color of that thing anyway? Mine looks a dark gray). Maaco will do it in a few days and the Vista guy in two weeks.

Nice. Your stock color will be on the sticker/badge located in your driver side door. This post has color and trim and badge location.
Thanks, pardner. I had seen that post before but was wondering if my bumper had changed colors throughout the years but looking at pictures in the internet it appears to be that that is not the case, it’s supposed to be dark grey.

make sure if they are doing rust repair they are cutting out the rust and flush welding in new metal, most likely they are just pushing bondo into the rust area. You will be seeing the rust come bubbling up in about a year.

make sure if they are doing rust repair they are cutting out the rust and flush welding in new metal, most likely they are just pushing bondo into the rust area. You will be seeing the rust come bubbling up in about a year.
Fo’ sho!! Luckily this truck has no rust, alls they have to donos sand and paint. Still trying to decide which shop do the work, Maaco will do it faster but I think the other guy would pay more attention to details.

I took the truck to the guy on South Santa Fe, it’ll be ready tomorrow. I will report how it turned out.
Picked up the truck yesterday, paint looks nice from 15ft away, the areas where the clear coat had peeled off (hood and roof) show a little bit of “orange peel”, the sides and rear look great. The guy did a lot of extra work, in my opinion and his, for the money; flares were removed as well as some other parts to paint the truck properly. He also detailed the interior and fixed the controls panels in the front doors as they had become loose.
I feel I got more than my money’s worth. The truck was ready in two weeks just like the guy told me.

54FF83CA-9AE0-479C-A045-D97E49D99759.jpeg

1403AF15-9159-4A65-A0CE-7AEE6CFE8C13.jpeg

Picked up the truck yesterday, paint looks nice from 15ft away, the areas where the clear coat had peeled off (hood and roof) show a little bit of “orange peel”, the sides and rear look great. The guy did a lot of extra work, in my opinion and his, for the money; flares were removed as well as some other parts to paint the truck properly. He also detailed the interior and fixed the controls panels in the front doors as they had become loose.
I feel I got more than my money’s worth. The truck was ready in two weeks just like the guy told me.

Pics look good. Total price was $1500?

I have a guy named Junior, he runs a shop called El Mago in Vista. He has done some good work for his pricing. I would use him for my stuff agasin. 760 978 4971

Reactions: KTP
FWIW - North County-ish - I had my 62 painted original color at Los Ponchos (that's with an O. There is also a Los Panchos with an A which also gets good reviews) in Tijuana. I did some research online and went down to visit the shops that got decent reviews on Google, Yelp and BMW and Volkswagen forums. I had lower bids, but liked the traffic at Los Ponchos and the owner Armando stayed in touch with me for the two weeks it took to get the job done. Estimate was $1700 for some rust cleanup, body work and window out paint.
View attachment 1991963View attachment 1991964
View attachment 1991965
Picked it up today and I'm very pleased with the results. Four coats paint/four coats clearcoat. Some over spray, some blemishes on the hood but to the naked eye a pretty decent job. I'd give 7/10 and for the price would recommend them.
View attachment 1991970

View attachment 1991969
I talked to Armando , seeing your review and am sending my 62 down to them next week

Do you have to give him the colour code or he can match Oem paint color ?

I wanted my 2003 Tacoma painted silver rather than black. The roof and hood were totally trashed with clear coat peeled and a small amount of rust on top of one fender. I took it to Michael's guy here in Ramona. He was hardly willing to look at it, but did come out, laugh, and say $4K without even inspecting it. He laughed again and told me to take it to Maaco. So I did. I went down to San Marcos where they have 3 levels of paint jobs, based on materials and guarantee. If you want the cheapest paint, you can get single-stage and a 1 year (?) guarantee. For 2-3 times as much you can get better or best paint (base/clear) and a 5 year guarantee. As I plan to keep the truck, I paid for the premium. I also had them do bedliner in the bed and the fender flares. They start with a basic cost which assumes a quick scuff and paint over a basically good surface. Then add for things like extra prep for peeling surfaces, dent repairs, and changing colors. They will do a color change without doing the door jambs, or charge more to do the jambs as well.
I agreed on $3500 for premium paint, new color with no jambs, bedliner, new windshield and new gaskets around the fender flares (if required.) They told me 2 weeks, and I left the truck there. After 2 weeks, they had done nothing. After 3 weeks, they called and told me it was beautiful, but they had painted it black, the original color, was that OK? They offered to not charge me for the color change... I told them no, I wanted it silver, and left it there another 10 days. When I went to pick it up, it seems they had a new shop manager and he was fed up with the deals the previous guy had made. When I looked at the truck, it did not have the new windshield, and they had put the nicely bedliner coated flares on without gaskets. I don't know what happened to the original gaskets, but would not take the truck until the verbal deal about the gaskets was done. So I left it again, and went back the day the glass guy was there to do the windshield (only $150) and they took of the flares and put on new gaskets that I had to pay for, as they were not part of the written deal.
They will do a color-sand and buff job on the clear coat, but I did not pay for that as it is a truck, after all. The paint does look good from about 5 feet. There is some orange peel in the clear coat, but not too bad. I have been doing some painting myself on my Landcruiser and know what bad orange peel can look like, so I consider theirs not bad at all. I would say that they do a reasonable job for a reasonable price, but don't be in a hurry, and be sure to get everything you want done written on the work order and check it closely when they want to give it back.

Tacoma.JPG

I wanted my 2003 Tacoma painted silver rather than black. The roof and hood were totally trashed with clear coat peeled and a small amount of rust on top of one fender. I took it to Michael's guy here in Ramona. He was hardly willing to look at it, but did come out, laugh, and say $4K without even inspecting it. He laughed again and told me to take it to Maaco. So I did. I went down to San Marcos where they have 3 levels of paint jobs, based on materials and guarantee. If you want the cheapest paint, you can get single-stage and a 1 year (?) guarantee. For 2-3 times as much you can get better or best paint (base/clear) and a 5 year guarantee. As I plan to keep the truck, I paid for the premium. I also had them do bedliner in the bed and the fender flares. They start with a basic cost which assumes a quick scuff and paint over a basically good surface. Then add for things like extra prep for peeling surfaces, dent repairs, and changing colors. They will do a color change without doing the door jambs, or charge more to do the jambs as well.
I agreed on $3500 for premium paint, new color with no jambs, bedliner, new windshield and new gaskets around the fender flares (if required.) They told me 2 weeks, and I left the truck there. After 2 weeks, they had done nothing. After 3 weeks, they called and told me it was beautiful, but they had painted it black, the original color, was that OK? They offered to not charge me for the color change... I told them no, I wanted it silver, and left it there another 10 days. When I went to pick it up, it seems they had a new shop manager and he was fed up with the deals the previous guy had made. When I looked at the truck, it did not have the new windshield, and they had put the nicely bedliner coated flares on without gaskets. I don't know what happened to the original gaskets, but would not take the truck until the verbal deal about the gaskets was done. So I left it again, and went back the day the glass guy was there to do the windshield (only $150) and they took of the flares and put on new gaskets that I had to pay for, as they were not part of the written deal.
They will do a color-sand and buff job on the clear coat, but I did not pay for that as it is a truck, after all. The paint does look good from about 5 feet. There is some orange peel in the clear coat, but not too bad. I have been doing some painting myself on my Landcruiser and know what bad orange peel can look like, so I consider theirs not bad at all. I would say that they do a reasonable job for a reasonable price, but don't be in a hurry, and be sure to get everything you want done written on the work order and check it closely when they want to give it back.

View attachment 2542496

I have never put much value in their "guarantee" as I know they will usually find a way to get out of it. It's hard to find places to do decent paint work that is not insurance related nowadays.

You makes your choices, you pays your money, and you takes your chances. I felt comfortable leaving my truck in San Marcos and never felt afraid that the shop or the truck would be gone when I went to pick it up. While they may not honor their warranty after 5 years, I felt that they would do something for me if the paint blew off on the way home, and I did not have to wait to cross the border.

@leucadiacruiser how's your paint job looking a few years on? Has it held up well?

Im looking for a shop in TJ to paint my LC as its starting to have that socal clear coat peel on the hood. I have had Panchos and Leve Garage recommended, but haven't seen close up examples of their work.

thanks!

@leucadiacruiser how's your paint job looking a few years on? Has it held up well?

Im looking for a shop in TJ to paint my LC as its starting to have that socal clear coat peel on the hood. I have had Panchos and Leve Garage recommended, but haven't seen close up examples of their work.

thanks!
Still looks great all around. I was at a local event this weekend and had a couple other 60's owners asking about the paint job. I didn't hesitate to give them Los Ponchos info. If you're in the North County area you're welcome to come by and check it out. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom