Norcold Fridge Freezer Came Today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Norcold I won on ebay came today. Box was pretty beat up and we may have some shipping damage. But it's here.
I took it apart a bit to clean it up. Yuck. Buttoned it back up and hooked it up to a battery. Down to 22 degrees F. in an hour. I think this is going to pan out. Not too bad for $300 USD including shipping.

Nasty box
aaa.sized.jpg

Tear it open and clean it up
aab.sized.jpg

Dirty guts
aac.sized.jpg

Back together
aad.sized.jpg

Let the cold begin
aae.sized.jpg

:cool:

Russ great score! That was the route we went, staying on ebay paid off for us also. We use ours every wheeling trip. On thing to try & do is use tupperware type of items to help organize the fridge. Enjoy!

so these things work on a regular compression cycle then?

Hey, all: how is the draw on one of these? That is, how long can you go before you risk running down the battery? Can you run it overnight, say, without problems? One of my goals in the near future is to get a small solar panel (15w) to help keep things charged up when I'm not driving...

Nial

The max draw for the 35 and 46 quart ones is 2.7 amps. So if your fridge runs constantly, you could get about 20 hours out of a 50 amp hour battery. In real life, though, they run less than full time. Most people can get 2 or more days with any running of the vehicle to charge the battery back up. In my FJ40, I have only one 50 amp hour battery and have never needed a jump start after a full day and night with the truck off.

Cruiserdrew said:
The max draw for the 35 and 46 quart ones is 2.7 amps. So if your fridge runs constantly, you could get about 20 hours out of a 50 amp hour battery. In real life, though, they run less than full time. Most people can get 2 or more days with any running of the vehicle to charge the battery back up. In my FJ40, I have only one 50 amp hour battery and have never needed a jump start after a full day and night with the truck off.

That is pretty close to the times I got out of my yellow top Optima. I ran ithe battery down with my freezer to test out the dual battery system and everything seems to be working well.

Good info: So, if I had a good (maybe deepish-cycle battery) and possibly a solar charging system, and park on a downhill, it seems I could go at least a couple of days with no worries... Sorry, I'm lazy, I like to park it and relax for awhile! Been looking at them for awhile on ebay, looks like you scored!

afterthoughts: anyone try the propane versions of these things? then no battery worries...

Nial

Last edited:
What's the trick to keeping all the contents (glass bottles) from rattling...since there's no ice to do that?

They tend to get packed pretty full, so it usually isn't an issue. In Moab, with the day runs, I took a pillow from the motel and stuffed it in on top of everything and that worked great.

Yeh...just cuz rattles drive me nuts (wound too tight I guess)...I was thinking about carrying a small inflatable pillow...

Are the roof racks on HJ61 very noisy?

I am interested in buying a roof rack for an HJ 61, it is the large industrial type that I believe came stock with some models. I have heard they are very noisy on the highway. Does anyone who has one have any beta for me. Also are they compatible with the roof top campers

andronema said:
I am interested in buying a roof rack for an HJ 61, it is the large industrial type that I believe came stock with some models. I have heard they are very noisy on the highway. Does anyone who has one have any beta for me. Also are they compatible with the roof top campers
I recommend you start a new thread in the International forum or the 60/62 series forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom