Norcal Wagons on the Rubicon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alvarorb

Color Geek in Charge
Threads
Website
www.arb-digital.com
This weekend the Norcal Wagons held their annual trip to the Rubicon. Here are some Pictures.

The food was awesome as always. Fresh caught Alaskan wild samon. Homemade carnitas. Short ribs. A bit of wine and microbrews. What else can you ask for??

Enjoy

Alvaro

I'll chime in first and say thanks to all the Norcal 80's crew for taking a newbie like me thru with patience and guidance(and more than a few rocks stacked).

An especially big thanks to Brett/DieselBigot for hitching up his trailer, driving two hours to Tahoe, loading up my runner and driving me back to Roseville. All after just meeting him two days earlier.

Food and company was great, thanks again guys. Can't imagine a better group to hit the trails with.

tony

I have to say Tony was totally good natured about taking his truck from a pristine 4Runner to "seasoned" trail rig in one trip. We counted the straight body panels on his truck on Cadillac hill and stopped at 2-the roof and the hood.

It was a great trip with the usual adventures, good food and company. I was worried when part of the group got lost on the slabs in the dark, but it all worked out OK.

Was it just me or did the trail seem tougher this time through? Particularly the lower 1/2 of Walker Hill was in very bad shape and we had 2 near rollovers in that section. I also thought Upper Big Sluice was pretty chewed up, as was the lower 2/3 of Cadillac Hill. There were some impressive stucks around Buck Island Lake, and in Big Sluice. The highlifts and rock stackers all got a work out. Amando had the "best" 100 series high center ever on the Rubicon but deserves all the credit for getting his 100 through the Rubicon for a 100 series first.

I can't wait until the Norcal Wagon Rubicon Run in 2006-look for it in August 2006.

A fantastic run guys :D

Some comments now...while I have a few minutes...more to follow...
Sactocruiser (Tony) -- gret job on getting the 4Runner through. The trail this year was the toughest I've encountered. If not for the mishap on Cadillac Hill your rig woud've come out pretty well, IMO. I hope you get your suspension issues resolved soon -- let me know if you need a hand with anything.

FirstToy (James) drove up from L.A. to join us (riding along with CruiserDrew) -- it was great having you there -- you kicked butt on Walker Hill in La Cabra (props to alvarorb for letting him take the wheel).

slo60 (Jeff) in his open diff'd 60 took on the trail with very few issues. There was an occasional tug and rock stack, but it was amazing to see him take the trail without lockers.

I4C4LO (Amando) in his 100 series spanked the rubicon trail from Gatekeeper to Buck Island Lake to Rubicon Springs, up Cadillac Hill and out. Great job dude! I wish you would've spent the night hanging with us at the Springs -- you were missed. Excellent driving on the trail.

and a few pics...
the first two are of me :)
the third is Mark in his virtually unstoppable SAS's mini. That truck simply rocked :D
PICT0005 (Small).JPG
PICT0011 (Small).JPG
PICT0018 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
more...
dclee in the aligator pits
I4C4LO in his 100 just past Walker Hill
slo60 on Walker Hill
PICT0022 (Small).JPG
PICT0027 (Small).JPG
PICT0037 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
again...
FirstToy driving alvarorb's La Cabra on Walker
Sactocruiser dropping into Big Sluice (2 pics)
PICT0045 (Small).JPG
PICT0060 (Small).JPG
PICT0061 (Small).JPG

the last for now...
slo60 navigating Big Sluice
group shot on observation point -- missing I4C4LO (Amando) and dieselbigot (Brett) -- they left the night before.
PICT0063 (Small).JPG
PICT0078 (Small).JPG

This was a great run! Thanks to all who went! Good friends, good food, and good wheeling! It doesn't get much better.

Thanks to all those who helped me with my busted brake line

Regards

Alvaro

How 'bout dessert Friday night? CruiserDrew served up hot peach cobbler made from SCRATCH in camp, topped off with some of Dreyers finest vanilla ice cream thanks to DCLee and his ARB "freezer". I vote we rename his 80 the Ice Cream Wagon.....

Also gotta say thanks to Ernie Phillips who probably moved 2 tons of granite to help my undergeared(overgeared?) runner ramp up some of the steeper boulders.

NorCalDoug, expect a PM for the Carnitas recipe...

Biff said:
Doug, the lightforces look good.
They worked great too! I'm really glad I had them. :D

Part of our group got separated, then ventured off the trail onto a dead-end section. We lost abouit an hour getting backtracking up a tricky section to make it back on the trail. By the time we hit the very off-camber bypass to Old Sluice on some granite slabs, it was around 8PM and EXTREMELY DARK.

The lightforces did a fantastic job flooding the trail with light. I'm amazed how much light these things put out.

I highly recommend them to anyone looking for lights for their rig.

Very cool guys...I love the pics. Looks like loads of fun just to much work to do to finish my house.. couldn't get the time off. Next year I'm in.. Don't know about the wife looking at the pictures... she would need a bottle of wine or something.

NorCalDoug said:
A fantastic run guys :D

Some comments now...while I have a few minutes...more to follow...
Sactocruiser (Tony) -- gret job on getting the 4Runner through. The trail this year was the toughest I've encountered. If not for the mishap on Cadillac Hill your rig woud've come out pretty well, IMO. I hope you get your suspension issues resolved soon -- let me know if you need a hand with anything.

FirstToy (James) drove up from L.A. to join us (riding along with CruiserDrew) -- it was great having you there -- you kicked butt on Walker Hill in La Cabra (props to alvarorb for letting him take the wheel).

slo60 (Jeff) in his open diff'd 60 took on the trail with very few issues. There was an occasional tug and rock stack, but it was amazing to see him take the trail without lockers.

I4C4LO (Amando) in his 100 series spanked the rubicon trail from Gatekeeper to Buck Island Lake to Rubicon Springs, up Cadillac Hill and out. Great job dude! I wish you would've spent the night hanging with us at the Springs -- you were missed. Excellent driving on the trail.

and a few pics...
the first two are of me :)
the third is Mark in his virtually unstoppable SAS's mini. That truck simply rocked :D

After pics 2 and 3 here - you'll never get me on that! :eek:

Brentbba said:
After pics 2 and 3 here - you'll never get me on that! :eek:

:D
that what they all say ;)

those pics are from the first few hundred yards -- we were just warming up :)

Is it as difficult as it looks? Otherwise looks and sounds like a blast!

Brentbba said:
It's not an easy trail. The pics I posted were from some of the tougher spots -- it's not all like that, but it is relentless -- as soon as you stop paying attention to what you're doing...that's when you'll get hung up or break something.

Great time though. :)

Brentbba said:

The photos make it look easy! Those guys drove thru like champs. It's crazy-difficult.
It was all a blast tho!

Ah it looks like fun. Difficult makes it fun. Now insane trails on the other hand aren't fun for me at least. That is how I almost don't have a driver side door. Those trails are what wheelin is all about.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom