SOLD **FOUND **NorCal/No. NV - Looking for clean 100/LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So my 60 has sold pending funds on Sunday, which means that I am now on the hunt for a 100/LX470. This truck will be a DD, used to haul our dogs, go camping, few wheeling trips a year (nothing more than level 2 trails) and main purpose will be towing a 5k lbs. trailer in about a year or so.

Don't have a whole lot of preferences other than below;
- Budget = $10k max (this is pretty much max)
- Hoping to find something that is relatively clean, normal maintenance done and stock-ish.

Preferences are as follows; (these aren't deal breakers if they don't meet)
- Mileage = Less than 250k (negotiable within 15k or so. If you can provide lots of maintenance records that is awesome and helps "ease" my mind)
- Non-Nav would be awesome (so basically that comes down to pre-03 otherwise it seems they are fairly rare after that)
- Non-AHC (know that is a unicorn for LX470)
- No black or red or other funky colors. Really like the white, beige/brown, gray and green
- Willing to travel some, but really don't want to spend $300+ to fly somewhere to then have a 10hr drive back (but willing to hear you out)
- Can deal with a bit of body damage (normal dents, dings, spidering on bumpers) but would prefer to not have to spend a TON of time trying to pull dents or lots of money to repair interior.
- Not a deal break if third row seats are not present (no need for them and they will just be put in attic anyways for 98% of the time)

So what have you!

If your budget changes, there's a nice gentleman in Reno I had chatted with during my search. He's got a beauty of an LC...but he's not going to let it go cheap.

I think it's going to take you some time to find exactly what you want that's not BEAT to hell. There are some out there. I've been watching the PNW and Arizona recently. Lots of good opportunities in both. Arizona tends to be a bit cheaper. Don't go to Texas with your budget - it's about like California on pricing.

@GunninIt are you talking about the one with the Saad Grille conversion to the 7" round eyes? If so, I have already talked to him but yeah a bit outta my price range.

Most of the ones that I see coming up in my price range are in the bay area which is a bit of a trek for me seeing as we will be down to one vehicle soon. So gotta schedule time with the wife to head in and look at something with the possibility of NOT coming back with it. Most people don't want to give up VIN so I can pull carfax or toyota/lexus service history beforehand, which really sucks. Being close proximity to CA though seems to yield the most results.

@GunninIt are you talking about the one with the Saad Grille conversion to the 7" round eyes? If so, I have already talked to him but yeah a bit outta my price range.

Most of the ones that I see coming up in my price range are in the bay area which is a bit of a trek for me seeing as we will be down to one vehicle soon. So gotta schedule time with the wife to head in and look at something with the possibility of NOT coming back with it. Most people don't want to give up VIN so I can pull carfax or toyota/lexus service history beforehand, which really sucks. Being close proximity to CA though seems to yield the most results.

No, there's a mostly stock (33's only) 2004 LC that @75Denver and I chatted about. He's up in RNO. Again, his is a beauty, but beyond your budget. If you change your budget, I'd reach out to him to see it.

As for people not wanting to give up their VIN - walk away! There's been a green '99 in Sacramento on CL for a while. They're totally shady - it's actually a scam - but when someone refuses to give their VIN, you don't want any of that.

I hear what you're saying though on the travel for a vehicle you may not buy. I ended up getting lucky and found my 100 local, after being willing to go national. Just remember that most CA 100's are going to be high on the price spectrum.

If your budget changes, there's a nice gentleman in Reno I had chatted with during my search. He's got a beauty of an LC...but he's not going to let it go cheap.

I think it's going to take you some time to find exactly what you want that's not BEAT to hell. There are some out there. I've been watching the PNW and Arizona recently. Lots of good opportunities in both. Arizona tends to be a bit cheaper. Don't go to Texas with your budget - it's about like California on pricing.
would love to hear some reccs for deals in the PNW. I’m in Seattle and have been looking

I have been doing a lot of cross checking/searching between AutoTempst.com, CarGurus, Facebook Marketplace and my own Craigslist searches. Actually the one in Sac that is closest to me and in my price range the dealer came back with VIN so seeing what I can find as there are only two service records on Toyota.com for a 1999 LC?! Shows as one owner Cali car so who knows.

I have been doing a lot of cross checking/searching between AutoTempst.com, CarGurus, Facebook Marketplace and my own Craigslist searches. Actually the one in Sac that is closest to me and in my price range the dealer came back with VIN so seeing what I can find as there are only two service records on Toyota.com for a 1999 LC?! Shows as one owner Cali car so who knows.

That's the exact route I went. I was doing Autotempest, CarGurus, Facebook, Autotrader, Craiglist, Ebay...and just random google searches!

Have you seen any of these? The LC seems legit - as he claims to have ALL service records, but you'd have to see it in person. As for the LX's, I think with the right service records both are promising. I know AHC isn't high on your list, but I've been very surprised with mine - in a good way.

Honestly, it would be awesome to find a '98 or '99 to get the locker. So...maybe keep looking?

would love to hear some reccs for deals in the PNW. I’m in Seattle and have been looking

Depends on what your budget is!

This '04 and '05 look to be well sorted (always check maintenance records), and have the five-speed, which makes a world of difference IMO. Both are on the high side of pricing, but they are LC's and not LX's. That said, there's always negotiations!

That's the exact route I went. I was doing Autotempest, CarGurus, Facebook, Autotrader, Craiglist, Ebay...and just random google searches!

Have you seen any of these? The LC seems legit - as he claims to have ALL service records, but you'd have to see it in person. As for the LX's, I think with the right service records both are promising. I know AHC isn't high on your list, but I've been very surprised with mine - in a good way.

Honestly, it would be awesome to find a '98 or '99 to get the locker. So...maybe keep looking?

Yeah black one was the only one that I had not seen. Not huge on the black. Other two I have already looked into and talked with owners. The first one the guy was nice, gave me VIN but then asked me to send him the CarFax on it since I was going to run it. Has a little more mileage than I want at 250. Found one in Sac that is a 99 LC with 239 on it and one owner that I am going to try and get over the hill next week to look at.

Yeah black one was the only one that I had not seen. Not huge on the black. Other two I have already looked into and talked with owners. The first one the guy was nice, gave me VIN but then asked me to send him the CarFax on it since I was going to run it. Has a little more mileage than I want at 250. Found one in Sac that is a 99 LC with 239 on it and one owner that I am going to try and get over the hill next week to look at.

I know you're not huge on black, but did you see this one? The guy was SUPER hard to get a hold of for me during my search - in fact, he never replied at all. But it's still listed. So I have to think it's still available. Worth a try - because it looks about perfect AND you get the factory locker.

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

I know you're not huge on black, but did you see this one? The guy was SUPER hard to get a hold of for me during my search - in fact, he never replied at all. But it's still listed. So I have to think it's still available. Worth a try - because it looks about perfect AND you get the factory locker.

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Hadn't seen that one but if it has been up that long and he is hard to get a hold of I would imagine it is gone or that he has forgotten about it.

Just looked at the Toyota site and there was some declined items that are a bit worrying.

Last edited:
Been looking to buy in SoCal and one thing I have noticed is that 99’s are offered at a higher price but don’t seem to sell. It seems like Atrac and Vsc are options so many are looking for over rear locker. There have a few really low priced Lc’s lately with allot of miles. just saw one sell in one day for $3800 listed with high 300 k miles. Good look on your search. It hasn’t been quick to find the right one. Out of curiosity what is. Good price for a 99 with about 150 k miles? Thanks

Been looking to buy in SoCal and one thing I have noticed is that 99’s are offered at a higher price but don’t seem to sell. It seems like Atrac and Vsc are options so many are looking for over rear locker. There have a few really low priced Lc’s lately with allot of miles. just saw one sell in one day for $3800 listed with high 300 k miles. Good look on your search. It hasn’t been quick to find the right one. Out of curiosity what is. Good price for a 99 with about 150 k miles? Thanks

Yeah when I was searching for my 60, finding the right one took me over a year. The "right one" is going to be different for everyone but as one guy said, based on what he saw I did to my 60 I have no real issue jumping in and doing "things" to the vehicle. Actually, if all goes well I will be headed to Auburn/Sac area to look at a 98 LX that I found on the FB marketplace. Low mileage with decent service record, guy has been super communicative with me on anything that I was looking for picture wise or document wise. He has only owned for a little over a year and purchased from a dealership (which jives with CarFax) and really hasn't used it much. Price is right, truck looks good and has NO-NAV and the OG stereo hasn't been touched so I dont have to worry about fixing some tools electrical issues.

But if for some reason that one does not work out, there is a second one in the area (an LC) that has a bit more mileage but in great shape too that I would turn and head too. From what it looks like, Facebook Marketplace is killing it vs. eBay and Craigslist for stuff.

And for reference for your last question.... 98 LX with 185k and guy is asking $7200. Needs new O2 sensors on bank 2 and is time for TB/WP. There may have been an unreported accident as the rear lift gate looks to have been repainted/debadged (he said he bought like that) and the color is just a shade off (like paint is a different mfg.). Not a huge deal to me as long as everything closes tight and no issues, rattles, etc. Since it needs a couple things I am going to offer him $6700 to start and see if he takes that as the TB/WP will be about $300 in just parts if I do myself.

The LC in Sac is a 99, 239k same things as the other. Super clean in and out, no nav, but was a 1-owner vehicle. Both have about the same amount of service records on CarFax and Toyota/Lexus websites. Both have always been in NorCal or NorNV (or both). The dealership is asking for $7999 for that one. Same thing that they have been super communicative with giving me info, photos, etc. So kinda a toss up between the comfort of the LX (plus AHC, VSC and A-TRAC) or the rugged LC (with rear diff lock). I was not super into the AHC but if the system works well and doesn't ride like a boat then I will keep until it dies as I really don't wheel more than a handful of times a year and that is pretty light CAT 2 trails. If you look on AutoTempest (which searches tons of sites like CL, Ebay, TruCar, etc.) you will find a bunch of stuff but around here it seems like most LC/LX between 98-02 with less than 250K on them go for around $8k depending.

Seems like pretty low mileage to have the shift selector tore up, and interesting steering wheel wrap (like they covered up a chewed up wheel), and what appears to be a missing brake pedal cover. I also wonder why they did the timing belt at 60k? Age? Could be solid, definitely worth inquiring further.

One thing to note after buying my LX, I freaking hate the navigation unit. You're essentially locked into 2002 technology and it's really frustrating. Thankfully i've been able to use an FM modulator to at least listen to music/podcasts from my phone, still need to repair all the speakers since replacement isn't an economical option. If I could do it again I would get the 98-02 LC, ensuring non-nav. Good luck in your search, despite my annoyances with mine, I found it in Auburn, CA at a one owner with ALL service history at Lexus. All that being said, i'm shopping for an early 100 LC.

@gregnash I appreciate you sharing your findings. I have been looking for several months as well. I initially found some that in hindsight should have bought but at the time didn’t realize it was a good deal. One that comes to mind was 2002 Lx with 170 k on the clock clean with service records for $9500. A2004 LC cam3 up oth 135 k on the clock at $13k. After more exposure and research I’ve learned that both of those were buys. Cause now I’m seeing 2002 with more miles listed at 16-24 k,Lol. There are a couple 2004 Lc’s with 130 k miles but asking 17k. Not interested because I now know there are better deals to be had. If everyone stopped paying the inflated prices all the sellers would be forced to lower their price in order to sell. I’ve noticed that the last couple years pricing has increased despite the vehicle getting older and more maintenance and repairs are needed. Are we our worst enemy. Stop paying the high prices! I saw someone buy a low mile 2005 for $1500 cause the po didn’t want to or didnt know how to fix the AHC.

Still on the hunt.
Drove to Sacramento yesterday to check this '99 LC out and seller will not budge on price. Not worth what he is asking in my opinion.

Still on the hunt.
Drove to Sacramento yesterday to check this '99 LC out and seller will not budge on price. Not worth what he is asking in my opinion.

There was one for sale in Anchorage awhile back with half those miles and a bit less price. Also the nice blue color. It went fast.

Yeah there is a local 2000 with 254k on it that needs tb/wp and tires. Guy isn't asking much for it, seems realistic on price and needs so is negotiable. Debating on something with higher mileage that I can do stuff to at a cheaper price but has good service history or waiting and grabbing something that is not local that will be a bit more expensive, requires travel to grab and may be a gamble on service history (like most that I am finding in the Bay Area).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom