Noobie Intro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all! Been stumbling around for a few weeks here, and lurking for a while before that. I'm a new '97 Southaven LX owner, just trying to work my way through the new truck without my wife killin' me for buying a 14 year old truck. She soooo does not understand.

So far my intro to Cruiser ownership has been a fairly harsh learning curve: the new baby has some body and undercarriage rust (never knew to avoid buying a truck from MN...), an oil leak :wrench:(still figuring out where), needs a lift, and new tires/wheels. Just discovered on the way back from lunch today that my drivers side window controls only work on my window, not anyone elses. :bang: The control knobs on the power passenger seat are all missing, but it still works, so that's a wash. I console myself with the fact that it has copious cup holders at my disposal... oh wait. :)

On the good, the rust is limited to two areas (other than the axles and some of the undercarriage), the antenna and radio work, the truck looks immaculate, and the interior is in very good shape.

As for the suspension, I've just done a little bidness with Yamapro, and should soon fix the springs, shocks, and tires at the same time.

Now, I'ma hafta break out a wrench to keep from getting to divorce court. :cheers:

Welcome. Check your window lock button.

Welcome to the madness! We are a good place to help you spend money! No divorces yet!!!

Waddaya mean? I was cruising along, the 6 year old in the driver's side rear, and she opted to open the window. I told her to close the window, which to a kid means "try to keep me from shutting the window." So, I hit window lock at that point and then tried to close hers, wouldn't work. I unlocked window lock, she took her hand off at that point, and I tried to close it. No go. You think it's operator error? I'd be glad to see that!

Welcome.

Wha tis an 80? - you owe us $20 bucks.;p

Welcome!

So yer sayin' to keep an arm's distance when we actually meet, huh?

$20 bucks please....

Cruisers will steal your soul and rob you blind.

damn internets posted it twice see below

Last edited:
Slabe.....welcome to the madness......it's well worth it.

im in southaven a good bit for drill but there are alot of guys in the club that live in/around Memphis. hopefully they will chime in here and let you know who they are.

we have lots of 80s, esp. white in the club, so there is an abundance of knowledge for you.

if you want to feel better about your rust issues go look at a 40 and you will find out what real rust is!

Best advice I EVER got when I joined this club.......

1. Focus on getting your truck SAFE....ie mechanically sound, oil leaks, lights work etc.
2. wheel it and decide if you like rocks, mud, or getting groceries (most here prefer the rock option)
3. begin modifications to make your truck better at the terrain you enjoy
4. get the guys from Memphis to deal you in on their meetings/wrenching sessions
5. check our sticky threads for who is in our club and what events are coming up you can get too

Lastly.....you can find a wealth of information by SEARCHING on here so look before asking, but my experience is that the site has had somebody with your issue discuss it and if not the guys within CLC are more than willing to help out and throw in a hand, wrench, or beer where needed.......occasionally a sarcastic remark (thick skin required to hang....ask me how I know)

Cheers John

Howdy from Memphis. We could swap out your driver side switches from mine or another 80 to see if it's just the switch.

Welcome
Needed for Admission to CottonLand cruisers :
1. $20
2. Hot wife

1st one gets you a t shirt
2nd one just slows your 80 build progress, but keeps the other c

Welcome
1. $20
2. Hot wife

2nd one just slows your 80 build progress, but keeps the other cottonlanders happy ; )

Thanks for the warm welcome guys (and gals?). I appreciate the advice; the part about making it a sound ride first makes good sense to an ex grunt.

I've got very thick skin, and like to stir the pot as much as anyone. Good thing, too.... On the window issue, I figured out what y'all meant about the €%#¥ window locks. Turns out it WAS the lock, just had no idea it locked down my controls as well as the passengers windows. RTFM, huh?:frown:

Welcome
1. $20
2. Hot wife

2nd one just slows your 80 build progress, but keeps the other cottonlanders happy ; )

She's hawt to me!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom