Noobie Checkin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had my 94 Cruiser since it was 5 years old. I've done as little as possible to keep it in running order. It has gotten to the point where if I don't do serious rebuilding it will fall apart. A little while ago I replaced the rocker cover gasket, wow didn't that make a difference, I can now see the engine! My current project is to address the AFM (she runs like a dog), I've looked at the threads on here and was ready to go with the Pilot mod however covid has stopped that as mail from Russia is non-existent. Anyway, thanks if you're reading this, I'm sure we'll get to know each other better as we go.

Welcome. :flipoff2:
The AFM is not the most complex thing in the world. The FSM has instructions on how to test it. I have this thing in the back of my head that says there was a typo in the FSM regarding one of the values but i am sure one of the gurus will be along soon to weigh in.
I'm sure you know never to try and disconnect the AFM harness by removing the 2 screws and pulling on the harness. That ends in tears for sure.
I'm interested in hearing about the pilot mod you mention. Not sure i have heard of that before.
Sounds like you probably need to treat the truck to a good tune up.

Welcome. :flipoff2:
The AFM is not the most complex thing in the world. The FSM has instructions on how to test it. I have this thing in the back of my head that says there was a typo in the FSM regarding one of the values but i am sure one of the gurus will be along soon to weigh in.
I'm sure you know never to try and disconnect the AFM harness by removing the 2 screws and pulling on the harness. That ends in tears for sure.
I'm interested in hearing about the pilot mod you mention. Not sure i have heard of that before.
Sounds like you probably need to treat the truck to a good tune up.
Thanks Irish Reiver,
The Pilot mod I came across on these forums. It is a microprocessor that converts MAF signals to VAF signals so the ECU never knows any different. A few of the users on here have installed them and swear by them. Unfortunately they are not shipping to Australia at the moment as the postage is too slow because of covid.
You're right about the VAF, it is a simple device. I have had to modify it several times to keep the cruiser going. The connections between the board and the connector had to be hard wired as the pads on the board disintegrated. The track for the wiper became so worn that I had to "extend" the wiper to reach new track. as well as several tweaks to the idle adjustment. She still runs rough when cold.
I have decided to have a go at "building" my own microprocessor to do the conversion from VAF to MAF. I put that in inverted commas because I am looking to use an Arduino Uno microprocessor which should do the same as the Pilot mod but for less money. I have of course to write the code which will take more time than I would like but, I've always wanted to play with Arduino and I could do with a brush up on my coding skills.
As for the tune up, I replaced the plugs when I replaced the rocker cover gasket and the distributor lead, cap and rotor button were replaced about 12 months ago. I didn't think there was much more to a tune up on these machines than that.
I noticed that there are a few forum threads on here relating to VAF to MAF conversion, I've already read some but will read whatever I can find. My first step is to find a datasheet for the VAF on the cruiser. Part No. 22250-66030. There doesn't seem to be anything available out there. Otherwise I will have to plot the output from what is a very worn (490000 km) VAF.
Thanks again for the welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom